R7 380 vs 430 - any hands on?

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: R7 380 vs 430 - any hands on?

Post by Big Block Power »

Right I don't like how they cover the speakers in the same material in the 17 I like the plain old speaker grilles. I also like the look and feel of the 16 vinyl also.it's all personal choice. I guess you would have to match up option to option. Again that's just a window sticker and will sell for tens of thousands under that plus they want to move a 2016 boat if they can.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

The price difference between the 430 and 380 is quite substantial.
Over 11k MSRP.
you should be in great position to score a good deal on the 16'.
Last edited by Tuscany on Mon May 08, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

Yeah- I think the speaker covers are awful - and I like the older vinyl.

Is it me - or do the 2017's seem to be a little lacking - compared to previous years?

Call me crazy - but I prefer the 2016 with the 430. The twin screens are ok - but I have a GPS already ;-)
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

Tuscany wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 6:31 pm From what I have just read, VP unveiled the Gen 5 engines, including the new 6.2L at the Miami Boat show on February 20th.
That would make it impossible for a 16' to have it, and most of the 17' model year boats as well.
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/na ... uage=en-gb
If you do decide to take one of those boats, I would suggest opting for the 17'.
So many interior improvements over the 16'.

Personally, I would find a Gen 5..
I'm guessing the new 380 with outperform the old 430 by a noticeable margin.
The 6.0L is an engine that has been around in its current state for years. Built with cast iron heads, and meant for commercial longevedy. I own one, it's solid, but not a performance engine.
The new 6.2L will be based on performance. I also own one in a 420 hp GMC Denali, and it's a awesome engine. Better flowing heads and direct injection alone will be a huge gain. Bump up the compression by 2 points, (another full point over our Denali) and you will have a real nice performance package.
The only downside? The new 6.2L will require premium fuel..

Did you get a "reasonable" deal ordering one - and what's the turn around time on it?
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I think you have found your boat!
Congratulations! I'm sure you will be thrilled.
Let us know when she hits the water.

As far as my deal, We may differ on our negotiation approach, and I like to keep my numbers personal between myself and my Cobalt dealer. It's just good business.
I think the deal we made was quite beneficial to both of us. My dealer sold a new, non stocked order hitting the water, and I'm sure the price was beyond more than reasonable for us.
My order was placed back in early February, and the build starts tomorrow morning according to Cobalt. Factory release will be approximately June 9th.
With a little luck, it may register as an 18'.
Hopefully, we will spend Father's Day on the lake.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

Oh I wasn't trying to pry on the actual price -I was more curious if you had to pay out the nose to get what you wanted - or if it was inline with the negotiations of what would be on the lot.

Something to be said about getting exactly what you want.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Unless something pops up that's irrestible, I typically won't buy from dealer stock. I like to order my vehicles, and they are generally very easy to negotiate with my local dealerships.

When it comes to Cobalt, here's what I've learned. If you order new, you will have to go through your closest Cobalt dealer. The company is very protective of their dealer's territory. In most cases, you still have to go through your local dealership to buy from national stock. If you don't and an outside dealer violates their business code, good luck getting service locally.
Since my guy is also a Chaparral dealer, I've had an ongoing service relationship with them for years.

As far as price, do your due diligence, and definitely don't outwardly fall in love.
Knowledge is power, and cash is king.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Tuscany wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 5:36 am Unless something pops up that's irrestible, I typically won't buy from dealer stock. I like to order my vehicles, and they are generally very easy to negotiate with my local dealerships.

When it comes to Cobalt, here's what I've learned. If you order new, you will have to go through your closest Cobalt dealer. The company is very protective of their dealer's territory. In most cases, you still have to go through your local dealership to buy from national stock. If you don't and an outside dealer violates their business code, good luck getting service locally.
Since my guy is also a Chaparral dealer, I've had an ongoing service relationship with them for years.

As far as price, do your due diligence, and definitely don't outwardly fall in love.
Good stuff here! Newbie also who doesn't have his boat yet but last minute option change available and yes helpful quick feedback here. Let you know what Happens. For my input here tested the 380 (6.0 I think) at 52 moh on R5 and did not actually sea trial the 300 or the 430 in an R7. GPH is also on my mind for max fun with lowest $ pain!
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm Right I don't like how they cover the speakers in the same material in the 17 I like the plain old speaker grilles. I also like the look and feel of the 16 vinyl also.it's all personal choice.
Funny how each of us rate different changes. IMHO, the two changes to the 17' you spoke of were what I saw as the most significant in making the interior look more like a Mercedes, and less like a Kia. Nothing screamed cheap Bayliner more than exposed plastic speaker grilles, and the upgrade to JL speakers was huge. The old vinyl failed the pinch test miserably as exposed by Sea Ray. I imagine that's why Cobalt changed their material. It's a lot thicker and much more resilient. The the new stitching, along with the stainless bar on the rear seat back knocks it out of the park.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the glass dash. It sure looks beautiful, and the new features are nothing short of a massive upgrade over the analog. But I'm not sure how easily I'll be able to read it at speed. Hopefully, the dash can be configured to making the tach larger on the screen.
Last edited by Tuscany on Tue May 09, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Southernboatman wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:57 am
Tuscany wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 5:36 am Unless something pops up that's irrestible, I typically won't buy from dealer stock. I like to order my vehicles, and they are generally very easy to negotiate with my local dealerships.

Good stuff here! Newbie also who doesn't have his boat yet but last minute option change available and yes helpful quick feedback here. Let you know what Happens. For my input here tested the 380 (6.0 I think) at 52 moh on R5 and did not actually sea trial the 300 or the 430 in an R7. GPH is also on my mind for max fun with lowest $ pain!
I'm guessing if you can afford a new R7, gas is the last expense you need to worry about.😁
More importantly, it has a 77 gallon tank. The R5 tank is downright small.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AL Boater
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AL Boater »

Tuscany wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 7:04 am
Big Block Power wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 9:14 pm Right I don't like how they cover the speakers in the same material in the 17 I like the plain old speaker grilles. I also like the look and feel of the 16 vinyl also.it's all personal choice.
Funny how each of us rate different changes. IMHO, the two changes to the 17' you spoke of were what I saw as the most significant in making the interior look more like a Mercedes, and less like a Kia. Nothing screamed cheap Bayliner more than exposed plastic speaker grilles, and the upgrade to JL speakers was huge. The old vinyl failed the pinch test miserably as exposed by Sea Ray. I imagine that's why Cobalt changed their material. It's a lot thicker and much more resilient. The the new stitching, along with the stainless bar on the rear seat back knocks it out of the park.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the glass dash. It sure looks beautiful, and the new features are nothing short of a massive upgrade over the analog. But I'm not sure how easily I'll be able to read it at speed. Hopefully, the dash can be configured to making the tach larger on the screen.
I like the '17 vinyl pattern over the previous. I am still learning about the Garmins and customizing the configuration, but I don't think you will have any issue setting a screen that works for you. I like the zoom feature on the plotter.
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

LOL - Yeah - gas isn't even on my radar - I have a slip at a marina and a boat lift holding my 02 Regal on a 10K boat lift on Lanier.

I'm used to Marina gas and gas prices. Current boat has a 90 gallon tank and I HATE downsizing - but I don't really feel like I am with the R7.

I love to run places on the lake and the extra 5-7 MPH is actually worth it to me - so if I can get the 16 - I may go for it.

I like the exposed speakers - because it is easy to add speaker rings and LED accent lighting to them - making the boat nice at night - that is one of the reason's I like the exposed speakers - but I do get your point.

The head unit is nicer on the 17 vs the 16 for the stereo too.
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, I'm guessing the new 380 6.2l will outrun the 6.0l 430. Probably depends on how each is cammed, geared and propped.
Horsepower is great, but torque is what powers through water. Higher compression makes higher torque, and the difference between the compression ratios are pretty big. I'm still a little shocked that they would release an engine with that much compression. I wonder how many people will run 87, and find that they have destroyed their engine rods & bearings from knock.
The new 430 must be a real beast.
If speed is important, you may want to call VP and get the lowdown from the horses mouth.

Speaker rings? Have you seen the blue interior LED option? You won't want to add speaker rings.
Last edited by Tuscany on Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

I haven't - trying to find any literature or videos on it is tough - you have details?

Also - I'm a retired military pilot. Let me know if you need help with the Garmins :)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I would call VP.
Get it straight from the boss.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine