R7 380 vs 430 - any hands on?

Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: R7 380 vs 430 - any hands on?

Post by Big Block Power »

That's interesting. And that's actually alot if you think about it. That's the 2016 430 correct? Wonder how the 2017 430 is?
Yea the Cobalt hulls are not built for speed, all for comfort.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

Didn't get a chance to drive one. Dealer inventory shows in stock - they aren't.

I am on the fence - mostly after my wife saw the Regal 2800 and said "it's a lot bigger boat" then the Cobalt.

Problem is - you never really hear about a Bad Cobalt experience - many people have coached me - buy the Cobalt - my regal has been Great but people I know and trust have said "it's not the same as the boat you own - you're not going to be as happy with the new regal
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 pm That's interesting. And that's actually alot if you think about it. That's the 2016 430 correct? Wonder how the 2017 430 is?
Yea the Cobalt hulls are not built for speed, all for comfort.
It makes sense that the 380 is faster to plane. First, the 430 has a higher lift and duration cam that moves the power to the upper end of the rpm scale to make WOT speed. After all, that is why people buy it. But with that said, there is always a trade off..The high lift/duration cam will diminish low end/mid range torque. Also, I imagine they may also by gearing and prop differences to squeeze out max MPH.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Ballvice wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 9:31 pm I think it was 3.1 vs 4.4 sec.

Not a huge difference - but enough -

Top end was 3-4 MPH faster. I would have thought more.

I drove a 2015 380. It was a 40kt boat - not a 50 MPH boat -

I drove a regal 2800 - it hit 51 MPH - quickly.

The thing I questioned with Regal was their stepped hull. Doesn't look like the best ride or the most sure handling when on plane....
Here's a 6.0l in an R5.

https://youtu.be/z0bahXNFTog
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

My current regal rides WAY better than the R7 or the 2800. Guess the saying is true - they don't make em like they used to...
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, one place we are getting ripped off with modern boats is that manufacturers now include swim platforms are part of the length of the boat.
Sometimes an extra three feet of hull is now being replaced with platforms. So your old boat probably has a lot more hull on the water than the "same" size boat today.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

Yes it does
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Ballvice wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 5:24 am My current regal rides WAY better than the R7 or the 2800. Guess the saying is true - they don't make em like they used to...
Ride is very subjective. Water conditions aren't like roadways. There are no consistencies to judge upon. Each day delivers a different ride. My money would be on the R7 delivering a better ride than the stepped hull of a Regal.
Steps seem great if you want the least amount of resistance in order to go fast, but like everything else, there is another side to that coin..take a fast turn or hit chop when you are planing out on the last step?

My Chaparral deck boat, with its tri hull bow design road like a dump truck on rough water, but obviously rode good when the going was flat. Now that boat was a tooth loosener and a back breaker aNd a definite beer spiller when the conditions weren't absolutely perfect.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

Well - I may be dis-owned from the group.

We have 5 kids - we put it to a family vote tonight after looking at both boats and putting it to a vote ----

I was out voted 6-1 - the Regal 2800 over the Cobalt.

We'll be closing on it tomorrow ---

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Wow congrats. What's the regal powered with and options any pictures?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Disowned? :shock:
Hell, congrats to the max. That is a beautiful boat that I would be extremely proud to own.
Got to keep the family happy.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Southernboatman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Southernboatman »

Ballvice wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:25 pm Well - I may be dis-owned from the group.

We have 5 kids - we put it to a family vote tonight after looking at both boats and putting it to a vote ----

Ouch! That must have hurt! Good luck in your new group! :shock:
2014 R5, Black on Black & White Edge Stripe
Volvo Penta 380hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

That is one huge boat. Good choice if you have a large crew. I don't know if you plan to trailer, but towing a boat over 8.5' wide may require an over width permit. If you only tow once a season, not a big issue.
Just a thought.

My boat lives on our trailer where it's safe, and we tow every outing.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
TwoBurgers
Commander
Commander

Post by TwoBurgers »

Ballvice wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:25 pm Well - I may be dis-owned from the group.

Congrats and best of luck with a smooth transition. As with any purchase, go over the boat with a fine toothed comb before signing...

Back to ride and boat reviews, while the technology exists to rate ride (although subjective) amongst other metrics, the boat reviews are mostly, if not entirely, nothing more that an extension of the marketing arm of the particular boat manufacture they are reviewing.

To your boat, I have seen many Regals on the lake and they look like fine craft with very similar lines to the Cobalt. Enjoy!!!
'13 Cobalt 232 - Merc 350 Mag MPI - B3 w/ Simrek drive shower
'17 Yamaha GP 1800 - Riva S/C Intake and Stage 1 plus re-flash
'07 Honda F-12X GPScape - MACSBoost module and IC
'13 Toyota 4Runner Limited - AirLift air bags
Ballvice
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ballvice »

the dealer I purchased from (and yes - we did get the Regal yesterday) - is the Regal and Cobalt dealer.

We were coming out of a 2002 Regal 2900 LSR - and I have always loved the Cobalts - but in the end - if Momma ain't happy - no one is happy.

I think the video with the Guy and the girl in the R7 - growing to the guy with 4 girls in the boat at the end MAY have added to her decision.

It was a big decision - and in the end - even though it's KINDA my money - I found that keeping the other 6 in our Clan happy is good for longevity ;-)

I called both boat manufactures and spoke to people at each organization. I was very happy with both and I must say that the majority of the boat dealers and sales people I worked with at ALL of the dealerships here on Lake Lanier were incredible.

The Chap dealer team was great - I loved the 287SSX - but they weren't to eager to sell the one they had since its a new model and there aren't a lot out there.

The Monterey Boat deal was candidly incredible and accommodating. I humbly wasn't interested in the Monterey - but I had posted in our of our local boat groups on facebook and reached out and PROFESSIONALLY tried to win our business.

This really kind of restored my faith in the people out there supporting our "life-style." I personally can't call this a hobby, since we spend so much time together enjoying the boat (and have for years).

I truly thank everyone for your responses - and although I had to settle on a 6.0L 380 - the thing STILL roars like a beast on standard gas - but I'm always going to look at that speed gauge when we are running up to Pelican pete's to grab lunch wishing I have 3-5mph more on the top end.

What do you expect from a retired military pilot that also raced cars and motor cycles ;-)

Thank you all!