Lake Powell closed.

(AZ, NM, NV, TX, UT)
Jeeper
Captain
Captain

Lake Powell closed.

Post by Jeeper »

All boat ramps, campgrounds and concierge services will be closed Monday April 6th at 17:00 until further notice. It’s bad enough staying home but now to close my favorite lake, this is getting ridiculous. :(
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lake Powell closed.

Post by Big Block Power »

I just read that too. I was going to text you. That sucks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Jeeper
Captain
Captain

Post by Jeeper »

They finally opened Lake Powell on the weekends and will be open 24/7 later this month. I need to plan a trip.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
Jeeper
Captain
Captain

Post by Jeeper »

98D79139-7EA8-4431-AAE4-ED44193549EE.jpeg
6BC4A0C9-7C3C-405A-96C3-A25501D14953.jpeg
86026BE1-CE69-425F-A5C2-7980B805B0F3.jpeg
Finally made it to Lake Powell last week to verify it is open. Had a great time, it’s one of my favorite places to be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Looks like fun! I haven't been since 2011, itching for another trip...
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Jeeper looks great man! One day.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Jeeper
Captain
Captain

Post by Jeeper »

It was a good time time until the last day when the depth finder was frozen up and I hit a rock with the outdrive. I had to get towed back to the boat ramp. Now I’m just waiting to hear what the damages are. Hopefully just the drive saver.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Jeeper wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:11 pm It was a good time time until the last day when the depth finder was frozen up and I hit a rock with the outdrive. I had to get towed back to the boat ramp. Now I’m just waiting to hear what the damages are. Hopefully just the drive saver.
Great pic. :D :P ....and sorry :x :( all at the same time.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Rocks in Powell. I guess the water is low.. Pictures?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Jeeper
Captain
Captain

Post by Jeeper »

BCE910E2-8D96-432B-9570-BB1E88E051F1.jpeg
Here’s a picture of the water level. The white you can see on the rocks 99 feet from full. That is about the average it hasn’t been completely full since 1984. The way the topography is there with the steepness of the cliffs you ca go from 300 feet to 3 feet in a short distance. The park service tries to mark the rocks, but it’s hard to see them all on a 120 mile long lake that is always changing.
Both props are bent but the lower housing doesn’t appear to be damaged. Hopefully I will learn something this week. I can turn the props by hand and it feels normal but with the engine running and in gear nothing. Most of the VP shops are out over a month here but the dealer that I bought the boat from said they would look at it this week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Oh sounds bad. Maybe a coupler.
Interesting on the rocks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Jeeper wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:11 pm It was a good time time until the last day when the depth finder was frozen up and I hit a rock with the outdrive. I had to get towed back to the boat ramp. Now I’m just waiting to hear what the damages are. Hopefully just the drive saver.
Yikes. In 2010 we had a Tige 22V wakeboard boat. I hit a rock on the 2nd day of a weeklong houseboat trip. Bent the prop, hit the rudder and bent it backwards, cracked the hull around the rudder. Something like $7-$10k in damages IIRC. Oops. If it makes you feel better.

Another trip we almost sank the Tige...beached it while scoping out houseboat locations, one of the skegs on the bottom came loose and fell out, leaving the 4 screw holes open on the bottom. Bilge pump never came on, found out later it had a piece of carpet stuck in the impeller. Luckily had another friend with some ballast sack pumps and we were able to keep up with it. On our way back to the marina, hit a tour boat wake and submarined the boat, drenched us all and broke the Bimini. Already had several inches of water in the bilge, and added another couple inches in the interior. It's a wonder we made it back to the marina that day.

I love Powell. Really. :lol:
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

thunder550 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:04 pm
Yikes. In 2010 we had a Tige 22V wakeboard boat. I hit a rock on the 2nd day of a weeklong houseboat trip. Bent the prop, hit the rudder and bent it backwards, cracked the hull around the rudder. Something like $7-$10k in damages IIRC. Oops. If it makes you feel better.

Another trip we almost sank the Tige...beached it while scoping out houseboat locations, one of the skegs on the bottom came loose and fell out, leaving the 4 screw holes open on the bottom. Bilge pump never came on, found out later it had a piece of carpet stuck in the impeller. Luckily had another friend with some ballast sack pumps and we were able to keep up with it. On our way back to the marina, hit a tour boat wake and submarined the boat, drenched us all and broke the Bimini. Already had several inches of water in the bilge, and added another couple inches in the interior. It's a wonder we made it back to the marina that day.

Wow T550...that is a rough day boating. Glad it ended safely. Makes for a great story for the fam....and the folks here. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

AsLan7 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:01 am
thunder550 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:04 pm

Wow T550...that is a rough day boating. Glad it ended safely. Makes for a great story for the fam....and the folks here. 8-)
I have some great memories at Powell...camp sites getting washed away in storms, houseboats stuck sideways on a beach, my dad jumping his 252 off a tour boat wake, my mom dislocating her shoulder, trying to navigate at night with no moon, fried impellers and getting towed back by a nice guy on a yacht, etc. Lol. And I'm not being sarcastic, I have loved every second of it. Not to mention the fun banana boat rides, learning to water ski, rainbow bridge, Indian ruins, getting root beer floats and feeding the carp at Dangling Rope marina, flying kites off the top deck of the houseboat....It's always an adventure there.

Jeeper, I hope the damages aren't too bad. Keep us updated.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On second thought t5billion we won't be going to Powell next year with you 😂😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault