Integrated drop down step on swim platform??

Homeskillet
Captain
Captain

Integrated drop down step on swim platform??

Post by Homeskillet »

We have that pull out ladder on the side, but don't really like it. We are talking/wondering about getting one of those swim platforms with the step in it... It's the one that can be lowered several inches into the water???
20200502_103452.jpg
Can that get added onto what I currently have? Or do I need a completely diff swim platform?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
XLI
Commander
Commander

Re: Integrated drop down step on swim platform??

Post by XLI »

I'm thinking you would need a different platform. It looks like your stainless rail goes completely around with no break. My 200 had stainless on the curved corners but there was a gap/break for the swim step.
'20 CS22
Merc 6.2 B3
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain

Post by Homeskillet »

OK good to know.

So then if I wanted to completely replace it with a manual or electric one, what kind of cost would anyone guess that would be? Manual 2k and electric about 4-5k??? I simply have NO idea
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Home. you won't be able to mount or get a platform like that. Unless you find a used one. Cobalt won't sell you one. It won't mount to your boat first of all. Plus the way the step mounted to the platform is all wrong too. I'll tell you what. Getting up with that pull out steps is alot easier then some of these steps in the platform. Just saying.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Chrispval
Commander
Commander

Post by Chrispval »

Cobalt uses a hydraulic system for the A series. It is not cheap (10 k from fractory) nor is it designed for any Other boat besides A25/28/29. I test drove an A25 that had it, and its honestly more of pain in the ass from what I see (Its noisy), not to mention a safety hazard if you have kids/dogs. It makes a very loud beeping noise when in motion, and Some that have it, have tried adding sound dampening to make it bearable to even use (thats how loud it is). I understand why they had to make it that loud, it is as I said a huge safety hazard if someone got caught in it while raising. Also it isnt worth it because of added cost of potential repairs. the boat i drove had it, and it was 5 years old, out of warranty, and it worked intermittently. Could be a switch, but I doubt it. The seller I am sure knew it was a bigger problem l, as if it were me selling and it was just a switch, I would simply replace it.
I love the swim step. But its not as good as a real ladder in deep water. I love it at a sandbar, but wish they had added a telescopic ladder off the side of the platform too
2018 Cobalt R3WSS 350 Volvo
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

Chrispval wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 pm Cobalt uses a hydraulic system for the A series. It is not cheap (10 k from fractory) nor is it designed for any Other boat besides A25/28/29.
And the R30 and R35.
I test drove an A25 that had it, and its honestly more of pain in the ass from what I see (Its noisy), not to mention a safety hazard if you have kids/dogs.
It's one of our VERY FAVORITE features on our A25. Total game-changer. Wait until you get a little older. :lol:
It makes a very loud beeping noise when in motion, and Some that have it, have tried adding sound dampening to make it bearable to even use (thats how loud it is). I understand why they had to make it that loud, it is as I said a huge safety hazard if someone got caught in it while raising.
Interesting - ours does not do that. Maybe the PO disabled it.

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain

Post by Homeskillet »

Well I guess if it's not even possible to put on my boat then I will be off of that LOL! I just thought it looked like it would be easier for a an older person to climb up on rather than that ladder out the side. I can get up that ladder if I need to (I usually just hop up on the swim platform).
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Homeskillet wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:58 am Well I guess if it's not even possible to put on my boat then I will be off of that LOL! I just thought it looked like it would be easier for a an older person to climb up on rather than that ladder out the side. I can get up that ladder if I need to (I usually just hop up on the swim platform).
I wish it was but it's not. After using one I found out I like my ladder. They are really nice to sit on in the water though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
XLI
Commander
Commander

Post by XLI »

And for what it's worth, I think your platform appears to be in great shape and looks great!
'20 CS22
Merc 6.2 B3
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain

Post by Homeskillet »

My swim platform is in near perfect shape. I was just thinking about my rickety old knees and wondering if there was a better way lol! I usually pop up on the platform without the ladder but those days are coming to an end shortly I think lol
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

My .02 about the swim step. I've had several people on my R3 who have used it and I would say it's 50/50 at best for like it/don't like it. Some say it's the easiest thing they've every used, others say it's awkward compared to a regular swim ladder. I see pros and cons of both to be honest. I really like it for my dogs, but I think all in all, I might prefer a regular ladder just a little bit more... What I don't care for about the swim platform is that you have to get on it, then either roll/turn or use a knee, then stand up. A ladder is quicker for sure. I also worry about someone trying to jump off of the swim platform when lowered and it not taking the stress (hasn't happened, but I worry). Don't get me wrong, it works well, but it's not perfect. As mentioned, it's good for sitting on in the water.
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Does the hydraulic step have a system that puts the drive down when deployed, or something that prevents the drive from being trimmed up with the step down? Seems like it would be very easy to damage it if not.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain

Post by Homeskillet »

Man I am really glad I asked about this thing. I just assumed it was a piece of cake to use in terms of getting in the boat. Never even thought about the out drive or prop hitting it. I could see one of my occupants putting it back in place (manually) only to have it drop down at 25 mph
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Homeskillet wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:00 am Man I am really glad I asked about this thing. I just assumed it was a piece of cake to use in terms of getting in the boat. Never even thought about the out drive or prop hitting it. I could see one of my occupants putting it back in place (manually) only to have it drop down at 25 mph
once it goes into place it locks up. I cant see it dropping down underway. I will say I prefer it over a traditional ladder but agree they should have added one off to the side just cause. The trick I've found is to approach the step turned away from the boat, prop your butt up on the step and get out from there. Easy.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

sailor55330 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:08 am My .02 about the swim step. I've had several people on my R3 who have used it and I would say it's 50/50 at best for like it/don't like it. Some say it's the easiest thing they've every used, others say it's awkward compared to a regular swim ladder. I see pros and cons of both to be honest. I really like it for my dogs, but I think all in all, I might prefer a regular ladder just a little bit more... What I don't care for about the swim platform is that you have to get on it, then either roll/turn or use a knee, then stand up. A ladder is quicker for sure. I also worry about someone trying to jump off of the swim platform when lowered and it not taking the stress (hasn't happened, but I worry). Don't get me wrong, it works well, but it's not perfect. As mentioned, it's good for sitting on in the water.
We're on our second Cobalt and both had/have the swim step. My younger kids love it and there are no sharp ladder fittings to get caught on while the boat is bobbing around as they climb back on. I think its a great invention and unfortunate the OP can't get one for his boat. Now, if I could just remember to retract the step before staring the engine and motoring away. :)
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe