Got my new CS1 today!

Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Got my new CS1 today!

Post by Ytmsn »

Wow. Just wow. It was really cool to see those pictures and watch that come together. Congratulations Notstock!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I can't open the drive at work. Sad face.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 pm .
I agree.... so cool seeing how your Boat came together! Seeing it in two halves is also amazing.

Great pics! Definitely the easiest way to post all of them. Thank you.

Btw, if you ever want to post one or two pics and site says it cannot due to size, just open pic in Microsoft paint and then save. Seems to be able to post after that is done.

Again, congrats on your new baby, notstockforlong. You’ll be living up to your username before you know it. 8-)

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time.

I have done a small bit of tinkering with it so far. My favorite mod was tapping in to the CANBUS network, and bringing all the engine data in to the GPS display. Other than that, I have just added a dual battery charger/maintainer, and wired the 110V connection in the bow so I can plug it in when it's slipped. Luckily they make this boats really easy to take apart for running wires.

While I was taking it apart I found that they have a full stereo head unit hidden behind the passenger side dash, with a display on it and everything. Then the helm just has the smaller remote display. I think before next season that I'm going to fabricate a mount for the headunit on the passenger side, maybe move the remote to the rear, and then connect the GPS screen to the stereo system via it's CANBUS (on the Garmin NMEA port, since the J1939 port has the engine stuff on it). Then, I can move the EVC display from basically behind the throttle, which was a horrible place to put it, to over to where the remote stereo display was so I can actually see the damn thing.
2018 Cobalt CS22
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

I think before next season that I'm going to fabricate a mount for the headunit on the passenger side, maybe move the remote to the rear, and then connect the GPS screen to the stereo system via it's CANBUS (on the Garmin NMEA port, since the J1939 port has the engine stuff on it). Then, I can move the EVC display from basically behind the throttle, which was a horrible place to put it, to over to where the remote stereo display was so I can actually see the damn thing.

Love havin' such talent on this site! :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

+1 pics when you dig in :)
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Bamabonners
Commander
Commander

Post by Bamabonners »

notstock4long wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm
I agree.... so cool seeing how your Boat came together! Seeing it in two halves is also amazing.

Btw, if you ever want to post one or two pics and site says it cannot due to size, just open pic in Microsoft paint and then save. Seems to be able to post after that is done.

Again, congrats on your new baby, notstockforlong. You’ll be living up to your username before you know it. 8-)

I have done a small bit of tinkering with it so far. My favorite mod was tapping in to the CANBUS network, and bringing all the engine data in to the GPS display. Other than that, I have just added a dual battery charger/maintainer, and wired the 110V connection in the bow so I can plug it in when it's slipped. Luckily they make this boats really easy to take apart for running wires.

While I was taking it apart I found that they have a full stereo head unit hidden behind the passenger side dash, with a display on it and everything. Then the helm just has the smaller remote display. I think before next season that I'm going to fabricate a mount for the headunit on the passenger side, maybe move the remote to the rear, and then connect the GPS screen to the stereo system via it's CANBUS (on the Garmin NMEA port, since the J1939 port has the engine stuff on it). Then, I can move the EVC display from basically behind the throttle, which was a horrible place to put it, to over to where the remote stereo display was so I can actually see the damn thing.
Can you elaborate more on this? I'm waiting to take delivery of my CS22... coming from wakeboard boats, I know that I want to upgrade the stereo form the stock Rockford Fosgate 6 speaker setup to something with more punch. Which remote unit is near the driver's side (pmx 2 or 3)? Which head unit is it?

Thanks for any info... just planning ahead...and waiting...
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Bamabonners wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 pm
notstock4long wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm

Can you elaborate more on this? I'm waiting to take delivery of my CS22... coming from wakeboard boats, I know that I want to upgrade the stereo form the stock Rockford Fosgate 6 speaker setup to something with more punch. Which remote unit is near the driver's side (pmx 2 or 3)? Which head unit is it?

Thanks for any info... just planning ahead...and waiting...
Hi I might have interest in buying your speakers amp etc. would you keep me in mind
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Sorry for the delay in responding...haven't got the boat out yet this season, so I haven't been checking in here as often.

On the helm is a PMX-1R. I don' think the PMX-2 or -3 are meant to be remote units...they have everything on them, so they would be a standalone unit On the passenger side, a PMX-5CAN is hidden behind the dash, which is a full head unit itself, so it's weird that they used that and hid it, rather than using the PMX-8BB hideaway unit which is made for that exact purpose. But, it could be something as simple as keeping the part number count down, if they use the PMX-5CAN as the main helm unit on other model boats already.

I'll update this thread and start a new one in the electronics forum when I tear into it.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Bamabonners
Commander
Commander

Post by Bamabonners »

notstock4long wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:47 am Sorry for the delay in responding...haven't got the boat out yet this season, so I haven't been checking in here as often.

On the helm is a PMX-1R. I don' think the PMX-2 or -3 are meant to be remote units...they have everything on them, so they would be a standalone unit On the passenger side, a PMX-5CAN is hidden behind the dash, which is a full head unit itself, so it's weird that they used that and hid it, rather than using the PMX-8BB hideaway unit which is made for that exact purpose. But, it could be something as simple as keeping the part number count down, if they use the PMX-5CAN as the main helm unit on other model boats already.

I'll update this thread and start a new one in the electronics forum when I tear into it.
My previous wakeboard boats had the Rockford Fosgate black box units. The dash has the remote.

I’m actually excited that it has the 5can system. You could easily integrate that into Ray marine multi function displays. I’m guessing this is why they use the full head unit...

I’m curious how they have the 6 speakers hooked up since the 5can only has 4 speaker outputs. Good news is it has 6 channel pre amp outputs so adding amps should be easy (I purchased the base stereo with 6 speakers).

I can’t wait to get into this stereo upgrade going. Hoping to get boat delivered Wednesday, but won’t know until tomorrow.
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

We need lots and lots of pics.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Bamabonners wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:23 pm My previous wakeboard boats had the Rockford Fosgate black box units. The dash has the remote.

I’m actually excited that it has the 5can system. You could easily integrate that into Ray marine multi function displays. I’m guessing this is why they use the full head unit...

I’m curious how they have the 6 speakers hooked up since the 5can only has 4 speaker outputs. Good news is it has 6 channel pre amp outputs so adding amps should be easy (I purchased the base stereo with 6 speakers).

I can’t wait to get into this stereo upgrade going. Hoping to get boat delivered Wednesday, but won’t know until tomorrow.
I too am excited that it has that unit, as I plan to add the the PMX-CAN device and bring the radio controls into my Gamrin MFD via the NMEA2K port. I don't see the Garmin model I have as being compatible specifically with Rockford, but I'm fairly certain it will work. Looks like the PMX-8BB has the CAN capability too though. My initial plans are to bring the PMX-5CAN to the passenger side dash so my wife can have control, bring control into the Garmin, and move the remote to the rear. It irks me though that we need to but the $200 PMX-CAN for a MFD. I haven't found a cheaper alternative, but I bet there's something out there. The NMEA 2000 port is a 5 pin M12 connector on my Garmin GPS, but I'm not sure what's on the Rockford side.

Now that I have been looking into this again, I'm also thinking about adding some amps, or atleast one if only to add zone control. I see the one pair of outputs is for Zone 2, and I would love to have zone control. It would be nice to designate the bow as Zone 2, so I can kill the sound there when the kids are riding up front.

Did you get the EVC option? I tied into that CAN network, and now have full control/viewing of all engine function on my Garmin, through the J1939 port. Amazing they didn't do that from the factory, as it is simply awesome. I just built a harness that plugs in to the engine's diagnostic port, which was (I think...from what I remember) just CAN signals and a power and common. I wonder if it can be done even without EVC though. I think the non-EVC engines still run a J1939 network.

Now I'm getting anxious...I think I'll pay my boat a visit in storage and start poking around this weekend!
2018 Cobalt CS22
Bamabonners
Commander
Commander

Post by Bamabonners »

No I didn't get the EVC option.... honestly, coming from the wakeboat - I didn't even know about it. We saw the boat, loved the look and the interior and traded our ski boat.

I'll definitely be adding amps. I was thinking of a 6 channel for the in cabin plus one for the sub. I like the idea of zone 2 for bow!!. Maybe do a 4 channel for bow, 4 channel for the cabin, and 1 for the sub.

I'm still curious as to how they are running 6 speakers off of 4 channels... they be running 2 of them in series... which would affect the ohm load. If that's the case, I'll run them on their own channels.

As for remote, I'm looking at buying the cheaper plain looking rockford fosgate for the transom. I don't need the display back there....

I'm wondering why they didn't mount the head unit in the glove box for passenger to control. My previous mastercrafts did that.... seems odd to me.
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

So what speakers are you thinking of doing? Can we amplify the stock Rockford speakers, or are they not up to the task?

I'll let you know how the speakers are wired when I dig into it. I hadn't really thought much about it, but I'm curious as well.
2018 Cobalt CS22
Bamabonners
Commander
Commander

Post by Bamabonners »

notstock4long wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:12 pm So what speakers are you thinking of doing? Can we amplify the stock Rockford speakers, or are they not up to the task?

I'll let you know how the speakers are wired when I dig into it. I hadn't really thought much about it, but I'm curious as well.
Stock speakers are great and can handle more power. I’m looking at JL 75x6 amp and a powered sub in the storage space in the helm.

I was looking for speaker wires yesterday.... wow, they are ran really well... hard to get to and ran in plastic loom.
notstock4long
Commander
Commander

Post by notstock4long »

Heh, perhaps they learned a thing or two since their sub-par wiring led to my first boat catching on fire. :D
2018 Cobalt CS22