Lake Tahoe Cobalts

(AK, CA, HI, OR, WA)
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Re: Lake Tahoe Cobalts

Post by Lifelongbtr »

What is everyones choice for looking at wind on Tahoe? I've gone between a few apps and it seems most you have to pay for more detailed forecast or current conditions.

The boat has the built in weather antenna for the Garmins and I'm not sure you get wind info with the sirius subscription or just weather and doppler.

Curious what others use, looks like there are quite a few buoy's and weather stations, it's just getting all the info in one place.
TommyTahoe
Commander
Commander

Post by TommyTahoe »

LLB,

I use NOAA weather (hit hourly forecast) and Tahoe Topia for webcams at certain places prior to departure. And my eyes when on the water as weather tends to sneak up on you quickly up there.
'01 226 5.7GXI
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Thanks TT, I forgot about the webcams. That is a good option. Windalert has some of the buoy winds speeds which is helpful. It would be nice to have everything in one spot, I wonder who owns/maintains the buoy's, and if they also track wave height.
carrera
Commander
Commander

Post by carrera »

Bumping this...looking forward to a "normal" lake level this year!
2021 R6 Surf
VP 380
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

carrera wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:28 am Bumping this...looking forward to a "normal" lake level this year!
Probably going to be full considering the snowpack we have and the current lake height.

Just left my house up there, never seen so much snow.

You have a house there?
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

carrera wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:28 am Bumping this...looking forward to a "normal" lake level this year!
Yes, looking forward to Tahoe and a few other lakes I haven't been to in years due to low water levels. I was in Tahoe before the last two big storms and even then I've never seen so much snow there. Walls of snow everywhere.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Here is a picture from across the channel of my house in Tahoe Keys a couple weeks ago. Currently, the lake is at 5.3'. It will be full at 9'

The two poles to the left is where my dock is. Can't see the ramp.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/monitoring-l ... period=P7D

-8557010904577727246.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Here is a video I took

Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

bruceb58 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:34 pm Here is a video I took

Very cool, that is a lot of snow. Does the lagoon freeze? I saw an article that said emerald bay froze entirely about a month ago, I would imagine it doesn't get near as much sun though.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

delete
Last edited by bruceb58 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:32 pmVery cool, that is a lot of snow. Does the lagoon freeze? I saw an article that said emerald bay froze entirely about a month ago, I would imagine it doesn't get near as much sun though.
Yes..it totally freezes. Even saw some idiots walking across it with a 3 year old kid the other day. We had our phones ready to dial 911 as it had been warm for a few days.

Yes...Emerald Bay froze. very rare!
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
shredX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by shredX »

Just purchased a 2005 220.

We took it out on Sunday. There were a total of 5 trailers at Lake Forrest, and the lake was so calm. Perfect day for an inaugural run!

We trailer from Reno to North Lake, Stampede and once a year to Lake Almanor. I feel like this is the biggest boat to still be comfortable for us to stay mobile.

Coming from a Crownline 202br. Looking forward to handling the chop much better…and staying dry. LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 220 6.2L
Verdi, NV
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

shredX wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:39 am Just purchased a 2005 220.

We took it out on Sunday. There were a total of 5 trailers at Lake Forrest, and the lake was so calm. Perfect day for an inaugural run!

We trailer from Reno to North Lake, Stampede and once a year to Lake Almanor. I feel like this is the biggest boat to still be comfortable for us to stay mobile.

Coming from a Crownline 202br. Looking forward to handling the chop much better…and staying dry. LOL
Very nice shred, I once owned a 202br, it was a really great boat while we owned it. What motor do you have in the 220?
shredX
Ensign
Ensign

Post by shredX »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:50 pm Very nice shred, I once owned a 202br, it was a really great boat while we owned it. What motor do you have in the 220?
Thanks! My 202 had a 5.0 Merc. The 220 has the 6.2 Merc. I guess it is propped for top speed vs hole shot. I don't have much historically to compare to, but man the power feels good. Ha!

When we took it out, the engine did run a little rough, and sputtered or cut out just a little at WOT. It was the first time on the water after being winterized, and the previous owner only had a tiny bit of fuel in the tank. We just added some fresh gas and plan to take it out tomorrow for a sunset cruise to see how she does. Fingers crossed I don't have to deal with a fuel filter or pump.
2005 220 6.2L
Verdi, NV
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

shredX wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:39 am Just purchased a 2005 220.

Nice I went from a 202 to a 200 to the 220. You will be very happy!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!