Problem with GPS/Zero-Off! Pls help

Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Problem with GPS/Zero-Off! Pls help

Post by Snowman8 »

Just a thought, I don’t have a surf model and I don’t know anything about the zero off system but I use a GPS base station and rover every day at my job. Where is the GPS receiver located? Is it possible that something or someone is blocking its view to the sky at times? All it takes for my rover to drop the satellites for a few seconds is to run my hand over the receiver head. Once it drops the satellites it takes a few seconds, sometimes up to a minute to regain signal and be fixed to the satellites. I know the Trimble GPS system that I use and what the boat uses are two entirely different systems but the principle is the same as they both need a signal from satellites.
Mjmyers
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mjmyers »

Happy 4th of July! Just to give you all an update: David’s replace the Zero-Off GPS antenna and I returned the boat to Eufaula on July 2. Thought all was good, but each morning and a few times during the weekend the Zero-Off would lose power completely. Sometimes I would tap the front of the zero-off and it would turn on and sometimes I had to jiggle the wires behind the zero-off to turn it on. I have posted the photos/videos for Davids & Cobalt. I’d like Cobalt to come fix it. Great weekend otherwise and I love the boat, just dont want to worry about it working when I take people out.
Here’s a link to the videos of the issue if anyone is interested:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cpu1j9hp53h2 ... 9Doxa?dl=0
Mjmyers
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mjmyers »

Update: 7/28 - I brought the r5 back to Davids in OKC Monday and they are replacing the Zero-Off as it has a short in it causing it to lose power once in a while. An unrelated issue occurred this weekend though - the right surf tab actuator broke rendering the tab useless and broken...it was just hanging there so I had to tie it up with a rope. Apparently its a fairly common thing - who knew! So they are repairing that this week as well.
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Mjmyers wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:00 pm Update: 7/28 - I brought the r5 back to Davids in OKC Monday and they are replacing the Zero-Off as it has a short in it causing it to lose power once in a while. An unrelated issue occurred this weekend though - the right surf tab actuator broke rendering the tab useless and broken...it was just hanging there so I had to tie it up with a rope. Apparently its a fairly common thing - who knew! So they are repairing that this week as well.
There were several members who had issues with the first gen surf tabs, but haven’t heard anything about it in a year or so. Now that Malibu owns them and they are installing Surf Gate I doubt it will ever be an issue again. Hopefully the dealer fixes it under warranty.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Mjmyers
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mjmyers »

Update: David’s in OKC has been great to work with. I just wished there was someone closer to Eufaula lake or who would come out to the lake for service. The actuator on the surf tab was replaced as well as the zero off. Both working great now. We’re on the lake this weekend with a bunch of kids so hopefully it goes smoothly!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Glad to hear you're all fixed up. Cobalt buys quality brands of components to build their boats, but the components are often boutique items with a limited number of providers and small production runs. Glad to hear they continue to stand behind their vendors and got you fixed up.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)