Garmin's failing intermittently

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Garmin's failing intermittently

Post by bruceb58 »

greenhut wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:29 pm
bruceb58 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:48 pm Speaking of delays, one of my planned "upgrades" is to put in a delay for the interior and/or the swim deck lights. Sure would be nice to turn them off and give me a minute to get off the boat without breaking my neck in the dark. Our boat sits on our dock all summer so would be a great mod.
Checkout this little device I used to make sure UW lights turned off. Cheap and pretty easy to wire in and do what you want:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3217&p=63999
And then there was the link to sliderule's one which is exactly what I was going to do with a microcontroller.

I was also going to do that thing he does where you toggle it fast and it will stay on for 5 minutes. Was just going to use a small Arduino.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1493
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:48 pm Speaking of delays, one of my planned "upgrades" is to put in a delay for the interior and/or the swim deck lights. Sure would be nice to turn them off and give me a minute to get off the boat without breaking my neck in the dark. Our boat sits on our dock all summer so would be a great mod.
Checkout this little device I used to make sure UW lights turned off. Cheap and pretty easy to wire in and do what you want:

I Just use that button on the helm. What's it called on there courtesy light or underwater lights?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm I Just use that button on the helm. What's it called on there courtesy light or underwater lights?
You know that button doesn't work...
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

greenhut wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:04 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:45 pm I Just use that button on the helm. What's it called on there courtesy light or underwater lights?
You know that button doesn't work...
Crap I thought we fixed that button too😂😂👌
Maybe that relay was from that button?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I talked to chris(slideruleracer) and he used the same one you did
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

SO...I ended up buying two of their wifi enabled ones(extra $10 each). Can't wait to try them out. Going to put one on my swim step lights and one on my interior lights.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
CaptBob
Commander
Commander

Post by CaptBob »

I used 12VDC remotes (operated with a key fob) on the cockpit lights on a docked boat I had previously. Just mounted the remote on the power pedestal on the dock. Used to team up with the admiral and demonstrate to the partially inebriated people (most of our dock friends! :D ) about how we had wired the lights to a clapper.
remote.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Capt Bob
Admiral Elaine
Currently a whole lot less Boatless, Now have possession of a new R5!
2020 R5 6.2 350 HP Merc
GreenInTheGrove
Ensign
Ensign

Post by GreenInTheGrove »

greenhut wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:48 am Bad news: Over time this problem has worsened.
Good news: Finally figured it out - easy fix.

One or both Garmins continued to not consistently start up when turning on the boats ignition. Even lost 1 or both units while underway a couple times. Armed with a multimeter and some determination, I did some cable tracing and testing.

Each Garmin has a separate power/ground connector from the Cobalt. First unplugged both and measured voltage after turning key. 12.6V every time. However, with either one of the Garmins plugged in alone, voltage would go a bit nuts between 5 and 8 volts and the plugged in unit wouldn't start up. A few times it worked and voltage sat at 12.5V. SO unlikely the Garmins were at fault.

It appears it is common practice in boats and cars to use power on relays to delay startup, more conveniently have many devices respond to the ignition remote power wire, or handle larger current draws. There are two such relays installed in our R5 (identical relays). One was failing and not passing 12V as it should. Swapped relays and Garmins are now perfect. Pretty sure the other relay is somehow used for the underwater lights and perhaps more.

While I could (and will eventually) get one through the Cobalt warranty, had one shipped for just under $10.
Picker Components PC792A-1C-C3-12S-RN-X
Super nice job with the diagnosis. Thank you. I am experiencing the same issue on my 2019 R5. Started with intermittent issues and progressed to the screens not turning on at all. At this point the Garmins are dead. Just ordered two relays for $9.88. Will install and report.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

GreenInTheGrove wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:00 pm
greenhut wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:48 am Bad news: Over time this problem has worsened.
Good news: Finally figured it out - easy fix.

One or both Garmins continued to not consistently start up when turning on the boats ignition. Even lost 1 or both units while underway a couple times. Armed with a multimeter and some determination, I did some cable tracing and testing.

Each Garmin has a separate power/ground connector from the Cobalt. First unplugged both and measured voltage after turning key. 12.6V every time. However, with either one of the Garmins plugged in alone, voltage would go a bit nuts between 5 and 8 volts and the plugged in unit wouldn't start up. A few times it worked and voltage sat at 12.5V. SO unlikely the Garmins were at fault.

It appears it is common practice in boats and cars to use power on relays to delay startup, more conveniently have many devices respond to the ignition remote power wire, or handle larger current draws. There are two such relays installed in our R5 (identical relays). One was failing and not passing 12V as it should. Swapped relays and Garmins are now perfect. Pretty sure the other relay is somehow used for the underwater lights and perhaps more.

While I could (and will eventually) get one through the Cobalt warranty, had one shipped for just under $10.
Picker Components PC792A-1C-C3-12S-RN-X
Super nice job with the diagnosis. Thank you. I am experiencing the same issue on my 2019 R5. Started with intermittent issues and progressed to the screens not turning on at all. At this point the Garmins are dead. Just ordered two relays for $9.88. Will install and report.
Hey GitG. So glad you found us!

Thanks for chiming in on this. Let us know what you find out.

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

GreenInTheGrove wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:00 pm Super nice job with the diagnosis. Thank you. I am experiencing the same issue on my 2019 R5. Started with intermittent issues and progressed to the screens not turning on at all. At this point the Garmins are dead. Just ordered two relays for $9.88. Will install and report.
Welcome - would be awesome to hear it helped someone out! Keep us posted.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
GreenInTheGrove
Ensign
Ensign

Happy to report after changing relays and an engine start, both screens functioned flawlessly all day. Thanks again for the post!
GreenInTheGrove
Ensign
Ensign

15B47D0F-C9AD-4417-BE31-BDB9B7C9F318.jpeg
Cjfr47
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Cjfr47 »

My 2020 R7 Surf just started doing this the last few times I had it out. Thanks for diagnosis and sharing? you likely saved me a great deal of frustration and money!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Hm. Makes one wonder if the similar Panasonic relay (which costs $6 instead of $3) is actually worth double the price. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... 12V/647006
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Cjfr47 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:27 pm My 2020 R7 Surf just started doing this the last few times I had it out. Thanks for diagnosis and sharing? you likely saved me a great deal of frustration and money!
Great to hear Cjfr47. So glad you found us too.

Any pics of your R7? How is she powered?

And welcome board mate.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)