CO2 levels while surfing

dsthomas
Captain
Captain

CO2 levels while surfing

Post by dsthomas »

Let me first say I’m the proud new owner of a 2020 R7 Surf delivered in April of this year. A friend of mine sent me this article out of concern regarding the tragic death of a 9 year old boy from CO2 poisoning while boating on an inboard. I’ve been boating since I was a Kid and my family has always been aware of the dangers of CO2 as it relates to boating. All three of the cobalts I’ve purchased had warnings placed near the transom as well as in the owners manual. I know the forward drive has the through prop exhaust that puts the CO2 below the water line and according to the VP promotional video “well behind the surfer”. How true do you guys think that statement is? I’d think with surfing, speeds being what they are at 10-11 mph and the engine at such high rpms there would be a lot more of these kinds of deaths. Thoughts???

Here is the url to the article.

https://www.hccommunityjournal.com/arti ... 6e971.html
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: CO2 levels while surfing

Post by dustinm »

My wife just ran across that tragic death on the Cobalt facebook page. Truly one of the saddest events I have heard. I can tell you we will forever be vigilant to prevent this on our boat.

As for why this happened - I wonder if the height of the child played a part? Also like the mother stated most other similar deaths are classified as drownings, without much other investigation.
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

This is why a tow boat and some other owners add this down pipe. Like this. Yes it happens. Very sad. I don't think you will see this in a forward drive. It also can happen to the guests sitting in the rear seats. Some people will add a CO2 alarm. Good idea!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Sad story.. sheesh

Thoughts? Get some carbon monoxide alarms and stick them on your platform . I’ve set them off in my garage dialing in hot rods.
Let’s hope you don’t have the alarm chirping!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

Dang. That’s an awful story. Wow. I can’t imagine the helplessness & guilt they must have felt. I haven’t given this the first thought. Good info.
Lake Ouachita- Mountain Harbor
Little Rock, AR
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

Thanks for posting this. I saw it on fb but didn’t read the article.

I will be paying more attention when I run the captain call.
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

rabiddawg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:29 am Thanks for posting this. I saw it on fb but didn’t read the article.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, is that because captain's call sends exhaust directly outside?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:10 am
rabiddawg wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:29 am Thanks for posting this. I saw it on fb but didn’t read the article.

At the risk of showing my ignorance, is that because captain's call sends exhaust directly outside?
Yes. Captains call sends the exhaust, raw lake/sea water, and CO2 emissions thru the hull via exhaust pipes that are located above the water line. This above the water option is done using the flip of a switch. Sounds cooler and manly as Tim Taylor from tool time would say.

The default is for the exhaust, CO2 emissions and cooling water to exit thru the prop obviously underneath the water line. Quieter but safer. This is why many states ban a switchable exhaust.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)