Thinking of converting from Surge to EOH

sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Thinking of converting from Surge to EOH

Post by sailor55330 »

Since it's winter, I have time to read the internet and it got me thinking about switching from surge to EOH on my trailer next summer. I've never been a big fan of surge brakes for all the common reasons, but they have worked well for me so far, yet my curiosity still has me thinking of going to EOH. It seems like the kits are about $800. It would also involve a new coupler or locking out the existing coupler and a brake controller, which the truck is already wired for. I called Eagle (now hlt trailers) and even though they offer EOH from the factory, they won't sell the kit but rather told me what they use and to buy it off the internet (Titan or Dexter, which I think have now merged). They did confirm that they use the same stock brake lines regardless of whether it's surge or EOH, even though there is higher line pressure. Has anyone done the conversion? It appears to be fairly straight forward, but is it worth it. I haven't been able to find one single case in any forum of anyone who regretted it and many called it an unbelievable upgrade.

I'm caught between wanting a safer tow, leaving it alone, and maybe being the victim of boredom. Anyone done this or have advice? I know you all have thoughts!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Thinking of converting from Surge to EOH

Post by dustinm »

We just ordered a trailer and I ended up explaining to them after some feet dragging that if the trailer didnt have electric brakes I would source a brand that did. I was once nearly killed by surge brakes and a company vehicle that was not heavy enough to apply them on all road surfaces.

Now with that out of the way. What is the current condition of the brake assemblies themselves? It may be easier to convert to full electric
CS23
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

3 years old, purchased new, maintained meticulously. Disc on both axles. 100% perfect working order with zero corrosion
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

On my current trailer for my Wellcraft, I put in Kodiac disc brakes and a Titan EOH years ago. I love it. Since I just bought a Cobalt, I will likely move it over to my new trailer and put a surge coupler back on the old trailer.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Sailor are you sitting reading magazines with BobRae right now?
Knock it off and put them down and use your dam boat first!
Your brakes are fine and stop thinking.

T5billion did the conversion in 15 minutes so that's about 40 hours for the rest of us!

Personally I backed his trailer up and I didn't like them. Just me.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm Sailor are you sitting reading magazines with BobRae right now?

T5billion did the conversion in 15 minutes so that's about 40 hours for the rest of us!

Agreed, but spinal surgery recovery for a family member took precedent over boating this summer....I guess I'm funny that way. Consider the request revoked.

Everyone have a good winter
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sailor55330 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:59 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm Sailor are you sitting reading magazines with BobRae right now?

Agreed, but spinal surgery recovery for a family member took precedent over boating this summer....I guess I'm funny that way. Consider the request revoked.

Everyone have a good winter
Oh I know your situation. I would just enjoy your boat vs sticking money into it when you don't need to. Your going to need a center console soon anyways. 😂😂
Someone has to keep you in line!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm
That's actually when they are the best...backing down a ramp since surge brakes don't work in that direction.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:12 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm
That's actually when they are the best...backing down a ramp since surge brakes don't work in that direction.
Right I couldn't stop and the boat went right in the water!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Surge brakes should be outlawed, but that’s just my opinion. They don’t work in reverse and they barley work going forward, you have to brake hard enough to slide the tongue on a trailer forward to apply the brakes, bad idea IMO. Then the tongue slamming back when to go to take off. I always had warped rotors on my tow vehicles when I had my old trailer with surge brakes. Then the tongue slamming back when to go to take off.

EOH or electric brakes are the only way to go. Slight brake pressure and the trailer is stopping equally with the tow vehicle and if you want the trailers to stop harder just turn up the gain or grab the slide bar on the controller and apply them manually. They work the same in reverse too.

Go for it if you want them!
Cruiser64
Commander
Commander

Post by Cruiser64 »

My surge system went out with no way to fix it so I had to switch. Man what a difference it made in towing my 262. I went with the Hydrastar system and love it.
2004 262 w/8.1 GXi
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

One thing to consider when going to EOH is the power required for the EOH unit. Ever since I bought a new truck(2018 F-150), the EOH didn't work quite properly. Low and behold, I am realizing the EOH unit is drawing between 20A to 30A of current. The tiny wiring that my truck has between the trailering module and the 7 pin trailer connector looks like 16AWG wire. I am getting 5 volts of drop which is my issue. I will be running 4AWG or 6AWG to my back bumper and just use an Anderson PowerPole connector to power the brakes on the trailer from now on.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

bruceb58 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:27 pm One thing to consider when going to EOH is the power required for the EOH unit. Ever since I bought a new truck(2018 F-150), the EOH didn't work quite properly. Low and behold, I am realizing the EOH unit is drawing between 20A to 30A of current. The tiny wiring that my truck has between the trailering module and the 7 pin trailer connector looks like 16AWG wire. I am getting 5 volts of drop which is my issue. I will be running 4AWG or 6AWG to my back bumper and just use an Anderson PowerPole connector to power the brakes on the trailer from now on.
Do you have your truck set to EOH braking? My 2017 super duty and my wife’s 2019 have a setting for regular electric brakes and EOH brakes. Look in the main display for the setting. There is also a setting for heavy or light trailers, there may even be a setting for medium trailers but I’m not sure. I can’t remember off the top of my head how it is labeled but there are multiple settings in the display for different types of trailers. Both of our F150’s had the max tow package that come standard with the brake controller. Even our 2016 F150 had those settings so I’m sure your 2018 has them too. Ford trucks are made to pull trailers, I pull many different types and have never had any trouble. You don’t need anything larger than 16 AWG wire for trailer brakes.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Snowman8 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 pm
bruceb58 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:27 pm One thing to consider when going to EOH is the power required for the EOH unit. Ever since I bought a new truck(2018 F-150), the EOH didn't work quite properly. Low and behold, I am realizing the EOH unit is drawing between 20A to 30A of current. The tiny wiring that my truck has between the trailering module and the 7 pin trailer connector looks like 16AWG wire. I am getting 5 volts of drop which is my issue. I will be running 4AWG or 6AWG to my back bumper and just use an Anderson PowerPole connector to power the brakes on the trailer from now on.
Do you have your truck set to EOH braking? My 2017 super duty and my wife’s 2019 have a setting for regular electric brakes and EOH brakes. Look in the main display for the setting. There is also a setting for heavy or light trailers, there may even be a setting for medium trailers but I’m not sure. I can’t remember off the top of my head how it is labeled but there are multiple settings in the display for different types of trailers. Both of our F150’s had the max tow package that come standard with the brake controller. Even our 2016 F150 had those settings so I’m sure your 2018 has them too. Ford trucks are made to pull trailers, I pull many different types and have never had any trouble. You don’t need anything larger than 16 AWG wire for trailer brakes.
Yes I do and its set for that.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with the signal telling how much effort to supply. What I am talking about is the power supplied to the unit from the truck. You basically only use 3 wires from the truck, +12V, ground and the blue signal wire. The controller adjusts the voltage on the blue signal wire. Very little current is supplied by that wire on an EOH system. What supplies the power to the pump are the +12V and ground wires.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

bruceb58 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:47 pm
Snowman8 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:34 pm
Yes I do and its set for that.

What I am talking about has nothing to do with the signal telling how much effort to supply. What I am talking about is the power supplied to the unit from the truck. You basically only use 3 wires from the truck, +12V, ground and the blue signal wire. The controller adjusts the voltage on the blue signal wire. Very little current is supplied by that wire on an EOH system. What supplies the power to the pump are the +12V and ground wires.
I know how the system works. The truck supplies plenty of current to run an EOH system. All 3 of my stock Ford’s work fine with them and there are hundreds of thousands on the road doing the same.