Flag Mount Suggestions

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
russc3
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Flag Mount Suggestions

Post by russc3 »

MIML,

I have decided to pull the trigger on the Tig Tech. I'm an idiot when it comes to DIY, but this seems pretty straight forward, so I'm gonna give it a go. Any tips, steps, tools used, etc. that you could pass along would be greatly appreciated! A VIDEO would be MOST HELPFUL! I'm trying to get my head around how I'm going to get inside the hull to fasten the mont from underneath. Thanks if advance to any direction you can offer! So thankful for this forum!

Take care,
2018 CS23
Merc 6.2 B3
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

russc3 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:08 am MIML,

I have decided to pull the trigger on the Tig Tech. I'm an idiot when it comes to DIY, but this seems pretty straight forward, so I'm gonna give it a go. Any tips, steps, tools used, etc. that you could pass along would be greatly appreciated! A VIDEO would be MOST HELPFUL! I'm trying to get my head around how I'm going to get inside the hull to fasten the mont from underneath. Thanks if advance to any direction you can offer! So thankful for this forum!

Take care,
I love the TT poles so much that I have two. I completely understand your concern about drilling into the boat. I had mine added at winterization on consecutive years, so my mechanic didn't charge much at all to install them. He was actually instrumental in designing the system with Mike and Shaunna many years ago. As you can see, mine are mounted right next to my engine hatch, so access is very easy. If you are nervous about it, ask your dealer what they would charge to simply install the TT pole that you provide to them. They do it all the time so you might be surprised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
MakeItAMudLight
Commander
Commander

Post by MakeItAMudLight »

Unfortunately I also didn't install mine. My local stereo ship did it when they added my subwoofer. They only charged me $75 which I thought was good as he said it was an easy install. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
2018 CS22 280 V-6
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

I still need to install ours. It's sitting in a box in the closet. It's always easier to drill into someone else's boat. You do mine Ill do yours.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm I still need to install ours. It's sitting in a box in the closet. It's always easier to drill into someone else's boat. You do mine Ill do yours.
And I'll watch! 😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

It's not that big of a deal...measure twice....drill once. Make sure you know what is on the other side first.

I am drilling a ton of holes in my new boat including ones underwater for my underwater lights.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

bruceb58 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:26 pm It's not that big of a deal...measure twice....drill once. Make sure you know what is on the other side first.

I am drilling a ton of holes in my new boat including ones underwater for my underwater lights.
I get that technically its not a big deal, but its still a big hole in a boat. Plus Tig Tech doesnt supply a mounting diagram, and there are not a lot of straight edges to measure off of. My plan was to drill the big hole then use the mount itself as a template for the other two.

Easy I know but I am a wuss.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Currently Not a Boat Owner
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
russc3
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by russc3 »

Good stuff! I appreciate all of the advice and concern! I'll be sure to document this for posterity when the time comes and I get up the nerve! Thanks, all!
2018 CS23
Merc 6.2 B3
russc3
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by russc3 »

Good stuff! I appreciate all of the advice and concern! I'll be sure to document this for posterity when the time comes and I get up the nerve! Thanks, all!
2018 CS23
Merc 6.2 B3
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:23 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:20 pm I still need to install ours. It's sitting in a box in the closet. It's always easier to drill into someone else's boat. You do mine Ill do yours.
And I'll watch! 😂😂
Shouldn't that be, "I'll watch and make the drinks."
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

Pick the spot where you want to put it. Cover that spot with a layer of masking tape. Hold base upside down on tape, trace outline. Measure center of large hole, mark position on tape. Notice how the big hole has to be angled back? Drill a smaller pilot hole, angled that same way, in the center of the spot for the bigger hole. Next drill the big hole on that same angle using the pilot hole to guide the bit. Lay the base in the hole and mark the two small holes. Drill them for the screw size you'll next use. These holes are straight up and down.
We used stainless machine screws, washers and lockouts to hold it down, maybe a dab of sealant under the base.
Drilling an angled hole is easier if you start with a slight divot in the surface. Can make with a larger bit, just the tip.
Forget whether hardware was included or what size...
If you don't have access to the bottom of the holes and need to use screws, do research on pilot holes in fiberglass. That's all I'm going to say about that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3