A thought on sealants and waxes

sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

A thought on sealants and waxes

Post by sailor55330 »

I never thought I'd say this, but has anyone tried the new Turtle wax Seal & Shine line? I have always thought of it as a lesser line.

I found this video on youtube last fall. The guy is a little goofy, but he seems to put products through some pretty tough tests. You can find similar tests by other channels with the same results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZYZc9uDyek

Now, I was never impressed by Turtle wax, but after seeing this, I thought "for the price, why not". I put it on a company car that sits out all winter in MN and is bombarded with all the road chemicals all winter and goes through automatic car washes when weather permits. I ran the car though a car wash earlier this week and it still retained 95% of the beading properties. I am pretty impressed that it survived that. To my eyes, it beat up on Adams. I started looking at other comparisons and for a fraction of the price it holds it's own against much higher priced competitors and seems to be easier to use.

For the price and ease of application it has me thinking about trying it on the boat. Note---it looks like at the time of this post there are other newer products with more enhancements out there from TW....

FYI--I'm not connected and get nothing for this----I just thought it might be a decent option for our boats.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: A thought on sealants and waxes

Post by Big Block Power »

I have to check my cabinet I think I have ice in mine and didn't care for it. But don't quote me on it. It's like Mcguires. I'm not a fan of their stuff.
But hey you had good luck with it in real time you can't go wrong with that proof.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ajfdj55
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ajfdj55 »

Last Fall when I pulled my 2015 R5 out of the water for the season my Cobalt dealer/marina washed and waxed the hull using Meguiars Flagship products. My R5 hull sides are ebony/black and the hull bottom is white. Since then I've had my boat stored indoors and uncovered for the Winter. Before I put it back in the water this Spring for the new season I plan on giving it a light washing using a boat soap that won't strip the existing Meguiars wax. I do have a small section on the starboard hull side that has very light fender rash/scratches so I plan to spot polish this area using Nautical One One-Step Ceramic Polish with a Griots Garage dual action random orbital polisher with a finishing microfiber pad. After this I'm going to apply Jescar Powerlock Plus polymer sealant using the Griots Garage DA polisher to the entire hull sides and bottom. Finally after applying the Jescar polymer sealant I will then apply Nautical One Hydro Rinse SiO2 Coating to the entire hull sides and bottom. Then for in season cleaning/maintenance I'll wash the hull using Nautical One Ceramic Wash & Wax and then finish with the Nautical One Hydro Rinse SiO2 Coating. I have no connections to Griots, Jescar or Nautical One. And I'm very new to this. So I'm curious to get feedback on this approach. Thanks.
2015 Cobalt R5
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

ajfdj55 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:43 pm Last Fall when I pulled my 2015 R5 out of the water for the season my Cobalt dealer/marina washed and waxed the hull using Meguiars Flagship products. My R5 hull sides are ebony/black and the hull bottom is white. Since then I've had my boat stored indoors and uncovered for the Winter. Before I put it back in the water this Spring for the new season I plan on giving it a light washing using a boat soap that won't strip the existing Meguiars wax. I do have a small section on the starboard hull side that has very light fender rash/scratches so I plan to spot polish this area using Nautical One One-Step Ceramic Polish with a Griots Garage dual action random orbital polisher with a finishing microfiber pad. After this I'm going to apply Jescar Powerlock Plus polymer sealant using the Griots Garage DA polisher to the entire hull sides and bottom. Finally after applying the Jescar polymer sealant I will then apply Nautical One Hydro Rinse SiO2 Coating to the entire hull sides and bottom. Then for in season cleaning/maintenance I'll wash the hull using Nautical One Ceramic Wash & Wax and then finish with the Nautical One Hydro Rinse SiO2 Coating. I have no connections to Griots, Jescar or Nautical One. And I'm very new to this. So I'm curious to get feedback on this approach. Thanks.
I would think you would want to strip the existing Meguiars wax before you apply the Jescar Powerlock Plus polymer sealant?
CS23
ajfdj55
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by ajfdj55 »

Yes, washing with regular Dawn dishwashing soap would strip the Meguiars wax and then the Jescar would bond to the gelcoat And it would be the recommended approach. I'm just on the fence about stripping it since I just paid to have it waxed last fall.
2015 Cobalt R5
clm0fiz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by clm0fiz »

Is that true what ajfdj55 says, that washing with Dawn will strip Meguiars wax off? Not arguing, just never realized that Meguiars was that fragile and/or Dawn that powerful. I must say, that video from sailor55330 was impressive! Why would anyone pay the extra for Adams when it appears that Turtle wax is even better for way less?
Guess I will give it a try, but first on my wife's white Lexus. If that's good, then my HIghlander, and if still okay, then the Cobalt. I'm sure that makes sense to all of you - cars first, THEN risk the boat?
clm0fiz
2006 250 "Ms. Liberty"
Mercruiser 6.2 liter 350 hp, Bravo 3 Horizon
Jupiter, FL
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

ajfdj55 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:24 am Yes, washing with regular Dawn dishwashing soap would strip the Meguiars wax and then the Jescar would bond to the gelcoat And it would be the recommended approach. I'm just on the fence about stripping it since I just paid to have it waxed last fall.
I use Dawn to wash dishes, (one reason my wife keeps me around) and to clean up oil spills or leaks in my garage....no way it touches my boat.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Dawn is great for cars or boats when you want to strip off the previous coat of wax. It's not particularly harsh (see all the commercials where the clean wildlife after oil spills and whatnot), but does a great job on oily things.

Car wash or car shampoo is on the other hand designed to help remove dirt and other things without stripping off the wax, so is better for "everyday" washes when you aren't going to wax afterward.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I gave my garage queen a coat of ceramic coating. Good stuff from work. Even did the bottom. We will see this weekend if any scum sticks to her. Looks good for 18 years old and 311 hours
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:32 pm I gave my garage queen a coat of ceramic coating. Good stuff from work. Even did the bottom. We will see this weekend if any scum sticks to her. Looks good for 18 years old and 311 hours
Less than 18 hours a year....it should look good!
And it really does.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Krob1114 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:09 am
Big Block Power wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:32 pm I gave my garage queen a coat of ceramic coating. Good stuff from work. Even did the bottom. We will see this weekend if any scum sticks to her. Looks good for 18 years old and 311 hours
Less than 18 hours a year....it should look good!
And it really does.
Thanks! Our lakes aren't long just a bunch of circles. So we don't put hours on them like others. Plus now kids are grown and gone just less use. Oh well. Few more years and we will move closer to the water where it's warm.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Wow 18 years old and 311 hours! Our R5 is 7 years old and I thought I was pretty low hours at 220! It’s a good thing there isn’t an hour meter on our radio listening while at anchor! Lol looks great BB!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice BBP...shinin' like a baby's bottom...with ceramic protection. :D
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Post by sming250r »

How did the ceramic hold up? What product was it? Sure wish I had somewhere like that to keep ours!
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sming250r wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:29 am How did the ceramic hold up? What product was it? Sure wish I had somewhere like that to keep ours!
I think I only had it in the water 1 time. Sorry. I'm not sold on ceramic coating. Honestly a good sealant twice a summer is way cheaper and to me just as good.
It was a ECP brand.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!