New Boat Transom Leak

(23SC, 25SC, 30SC, 24SD, 26SD)
dgangwer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New Boat Transom Leak

Post by dgangwer »

Has anyone had issues with leaks in their new boat? My new R6 Outboard has been back to the dealer twice with a steady stream coming from the aft end somewhere.

First report was that there was no sealant on the inside of the lower motor mounting bolts. Post-repair, it still leaked. Second time back, the dealer said they removed all of the sealant and re-did the job. I haven't had it back in the water yet.

The leak was discovered as I pulled storage bins at anchor to familiarize myself with the boat. Bilge pump ran as designed and my wife asked "Is that normal?".

I know that houses, vehicles, etc. are not perfect and things will need attention. My $10,000 Sea Ray didn't leak and I never imagined my $100,000+ Cobalt would.

Am I the only one? Did I get a COVID lemon?
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New Boat Transom Leak

Post by BobRae99 »

I don't have a "first run" boat but my new 2019 R3 had no issues. My new 2016 210 had a leaking power steering pump at 10 hours. Otherwise both boats have been trouble free. I'm sure your dealer (and Cobalt) will work the issue out.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
dgangwer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgangwer »

Thanks, BobRae. The dealer has been good about it all. Just aggravating particularly since it is salt water intrusion.
NewBoater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by NewBoater »

I bought a new 23SC in the spring - It has a leak they can't find. Would love to hear if anyone else has had the same problem.