Trim Tab Deploys as Boat Planes Out - 2017 R3 WSS

micheald
Ensign
Ensign

Trim Tab Deploys as Boat Planes Out - 2017 R3 WSS

Post by micheald »

Hi all, new to the chat. Hopefully someone has experienced this issue and can provide some assistance.

Our surf tab hydraulic ram failed last fall catastrophically, basically came apart while I was surfing. Not a big deal at the time as it was our last time out on the lake before winter. I had the local marina replace the hydraulic ram over the winter. I didn't want to haul it an hour and a half to the only dealer in OK, assumed it was an easy fix.
First time out this year, just as we leave the slip, past the breakwater and push the throttle forward, as soon as we get up on plane, the boat takes a hard left turn and dips to the left, to the point my wife and daughter nearly passed out. I shut it down, and see that my surf system warning light is on. I go back and see that my right trim tab is all the way down ( the one that was replaced). The manual trim tab button won't raise it. I turn off the boat, then back on, and manual trim tab now works. I want to see if it will happen again, so slowly go up on plane, and same thing again, trim tab deploys. No more boating that day. The marina mechanic did all they could, reinstalled the trim tab ram again, and worked over the phone with local dealer to troubleshoot with no success. They believe the electronics onboard are stuck in Surf Left mode, and that is why the surf tab is deploying when throttling up.
I spoke to a Cobalt factory tech and he said he has never heard of this happening, and suggested the wiring could be reversed on the ram. Dealer wants me to trailer it for repair, but can't fit me in for 6 weeks. Not a good start to the summer.

Any thoughts to try? I really appreciate the help in advance.
2017 R3 WSS Surf
Volvo 380

2022 R6 Surf
Volvo 380
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Trim Tab Deploys as Boat Planes Out - 2017 R3 WSS

Post by Big Block Power »

That's scary crap I'm sure. I guess I would double check the wiring. Other than that I have nothing and haven't heard of that before on here.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Wow that is unpredictable and unacceptable…especially when your family could be hurt.
Honestly I would make the longer trip it to the Dealer with this problem. This needs to be repaired correctly. Get it done right the first time. Just me but maybe a little cash incentive to push it to the front of the line. It’s what makes the world go round.

...and welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
micheald
Ensign
Ensign

Post by micheald »

Thanks for the replies. in hindsight, the dealer should have been my first choice to make this repair.
2017 R3 WSS Surf
Volvo 380

2022 R6 Surf
Volvo 380
micheald
Ensign
Ensign

Post by micheald »

The boat is fixed! Apparently the local marina spliced the wire when installing the new cylinder, and that is a no-no.
2017 R3 WSS Surf
Volvo 380

2022 R6 Surf
Volvo 380
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Great to hear and thanks for the follow up!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)