bilge pump

julieyoung
Ensign
Ensign

bilge pump

Post by julieyoung »

I have a 2002 cobalt 226 with 6.2 merc. Should the bilge be turned on when operating the boat? Is it automatic when water is present and off when not so it doesn't burn up the pump.
Thx for the help
Cobalt272!
Commander
Commander

Re: bilge pump

Post by Cobalt272! »

Bilge pump should be hard wired to battery which automatically start pumping when the float is triggered/raised (this would be caused by water). Switch should remain in 'off' position unless you want to manually run. Yes, you'll burn up the pump if you run the pump with no water.
2016 A28
VP430, wht/blk boot strip, hardtop
2005 272
Merc 496 HO
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey JY. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

Ditto what C272 said.

And welcome aboard!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
julieyoung
Ensign
Ensign

Post by julieyoung »

Thx guys. To clarify, should the bilge come from the factory as hard wired to battery
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

julieyoung wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:45 am Thx guys. To clarify, should the bilge come from the factory as hard wired to battery
ABYC Boat buildings regulations require hard wire to battery (or hot battery bus) so the boat has a type of automatic protection thru the float switch.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
smhgator
Ensign
Ensign

Post by smhgator »

Following the thread, thank you for the information

I also have a 226 (01 with 5.7VP)

So all bilge pumps have an automatic float? I believe mine has the original pump. When I flipped the bilge pump switch to the on position it did pump out water for about 3 to 5 seconds. There was very little water in the bilge after that.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

smhgator wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:18 am Following the thread, thank you for the information

I also have a 226 (01 with 5.7VP)

So all bilge pumps have an automatic float? I believe mine has the original pump. When I flipped the bilge pump switch to the on position it did pump out water for about 3 to 5 seconds. There was very little water in the bilge after that.
Yes yours has an automatic feature which will kick the bilge pump on once the float threshold is reached.
Great to hear your pump is working.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
julieyoung
Ensign
Ensign

Post by julieyoung »

Thx for the info. Just had the boat out and it seems to be taking on water way more than it should. What would be the likely suspects?
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

julieyoung wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:01 pm Thx for the info. Just had the boat out and it seems to be taking on water way more than it should. What would be the likely suspects?
Torn U-joint bellows
Leaking hoses
Leaking water pump
cracked block
leaking casting plugs
Bad transom

List goes on...you really have to be in the bilge or have your camera in the bilge to find out where its coming from.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
anniemcq
Ensign
Ensign

Post by anniemcq »

Newbie here, and had the same question. The owners manual says to test the bilge pump as part of the startup checklist, but how does one test it? If I flip on the switch and the light goes on but no water comes out, I’m guessing there just wasn’t any water in there? Any sense in occasionally adding water with a hose to make sure the float switch and pump work?
capn272
Commander
Commander

Post by capn272 »

anniemcq wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:16 am Any sense in occasionally adding water with a hose to make sure the float switch and pump work?
Yup. Pumping water is its only job - gotta get it in there somehow!

Make sure that the outlet isn't plugged. Mine had some junk in it the first time I tested it and it wouldn't push it out. If I hadn't found it, last season would have been bad for us as the pump seems to be a high-volume lower-pressure type setup.
1998 272
502 Mag MPI + B1
Humongous trailer
Traderdoc
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Traderdoc »

Great info here thanks all.
My last boat had aftermarket bilges which were hard wired and would run only if in contact with water and float level reached.

New this year a 23'R6. Learning what is normal..

Yesterday was out in heavy rain . Boat was tied up for an hour and a half . We stayed under protected structure on shore during storm .

I looked at engine bay and there was water at least half way up from base of aft bilge pump but was not pumping . I turned it on at helm and it emptied the aft area . Then turned off helm switch .

My question: how much water is permitted in engine bay before bilge pump runs automatically?
Traderdoc
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Traderdoc »

Great info here thanks all.
My last boat had aftermarket bilges which were hard wired and would run only if in contact with water and float level reached.

New this year a 23'R6. Learning what is normal..

Yesterday was out in heavy rain . Boat was tied up for an hour and a half . We stayed under protected structure on shore during storm .

I looked at engine bay and there was water at least half way up from base of aft bilge pump but was not pumping . I turned it on at helm and it emptied the aft area . Then turned off helm switch .

My question: how much water is permitted in engine bay before bilge pump runs automatically?