CS22 Anchor

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
ChuckP2
Ensign
Ensign

CS22 Anchor

Post by ChuckP2 »

Just curious what type anchors are CS22 owners using. Seems anchor locker is smaller than needed. Anyone have any experience with Richter anchors? Other types, sizes? On a clay bottom lake.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: CS22 Anchor

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey CP2. So glad you found us!
Can’t answer your question but some other folks will chime in shortly.
Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

I'm not sure of the CS22 locker size, but my Danforth , fluke anchor would not fit in my 220s anchor locker. I bought an 18 lb Richter and along with the 6 foot of chain it fits nicely into my locker. It also holds like a chimpanzee hanging on a branch, that is to say very well and I recommend one. :D
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Stagdad wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:39 am I'm not sure of the CS22 locker size, but my Danforth , fluke anchor would not fit in my 220s anchor locker. I bought an 18 lb Richter and along with the 6 foot of chain it fits nicely into my locker. It also holds like a chimpanzee hanging on a branch, that is to say very well and I recommend one. :D
What size Danforth do you have?
CS23
Stagdad
Commander
Commander

Post by Stagdad »

dustinm wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:24 am
Stagdad wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:39 am I'm not sure of the CS22 locker size, but my Danforth , fluke anchor would not fit in my 220s anchor locker. I bought an 18 lb Richter and along with the 6 foot of chain it fits nicely into my locker. It also holds like a chimpanzee hanging on a branch, that is to say very well and I recommend one. :D
What size Danforth do you have?
I don't have it in front of me but guesstimate 12 lbs, 18-24" long 12-16"wide. Worked OK, seemed to need to drag for a bit to dig in and set itself. I really like the richter for our mud / rock /steep and deep lake bottom.
Stagdad(Brian & Linda)
220s V8 300VP
Home Port Northern KY
Away Port Lake Cumberland / Dale Hollow
ChuckP2
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ChuckP2 »

Thx for response. I’ve used the fluke in a previous 246. Would welcome others feedback as I’m still searching. Made the trip to the Harbor, salesman reco a Navy type 13 lb for my boat. Would like the rode and anchor coated to prevent scratching.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I like the Richter anchors too for MN lake and river boating. I probably got a little fancy for a 21’ boat by adding 6’ of vinyl-coated chain as a rode, but it works great.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I can’t help with the CS22 but just the other day I received my new Fortress FX7 anchor for my R5. The R series also has an abnormally small anchor locker but Bruce has the FX7 and said it does fit, barely... I haven’t taken it out of the box yet because it was a crazy week at work but after a few more cups of coffee I will be putting it together. The Fortress anchors hold strong and the best part is they are very light! The FX 7 is 4 pounds. The biggest thing to remember if your anchor isn’t holding is that you probably don’t have enough line out. I also boat in a river like jhnmdahl and I have had multiple boats tied to my one anchor with river currents and wind and never move. If we do move a little I just let out more line. My old anchor weighs either 12 or 14 pounds and I have 6’ of vinyl coated chain, I will be using the same chain and anchor line with the FX7.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

I would like to know if a Fortress FX-7 will fit into a CS anchor locker
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

dustinm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:38 am I would like to know if a Fortress FX-7 will fit into a CS anchor locker
It may not fit in your CS but it will fit on your trailer 😂😂😂😂😜👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:52 am
dustinm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:38 am I would like to know if a Fortress FX-7 will fit into a CS anchor locker
It may not fit in your CS but it will fit on your trailer 😂😂😂😂😜👍
That has plenty of trees growing up thru it to hold it in place :D
CS23
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I put my new Fortress FX7 anchor together today and it easily fits into my anchor locker. It will only fit in one way with the shank and flukes pointing down but it fits with a couple inches to spare. It will not fit if it is put in with the flukes pointing up. My old fluke anchor just barley fit and only went in and out one way, sometimes binding.
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

So keep in mind that as they mentioned the fortress needs a good angle on the line to hold. If you are in Cumberland and anchoring in 50 feet of water you probably need 250+ feet of line out. If you don't have a steady breeze from same direction, you may need a rear anchor to help hold your boat in place. This anchor likely works great in a river situation but you May not have the same results in a deep lake.
I am at Norris and use the box anchor. I have the large and it collapses down just enough to fit in my anchor locker (if I put the rope the right way).
Also the coated anchors don't work as well when holding, the coating can cause them to move less.
Rather then what anchor fits, take a moment and figure out what anchor you need then figure out where to store it.
The box anchor is heavy if you consider that route.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Norris_Boating wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:11 am So keep in mind that as they mentioned the fortress needs a good angle on the line to hold. If you are in Cumberland and anchoring in 50 feet of water you probably need 250+ feet of line out. If you don't have a steady breeze from same direction, you may need a rear anchor to help hold your boat in place. This anchor likely works great in a river situation but you May not have the same results in a deep lake.
I am at Norris and use the box anchor. I have the large and it collapses down just enough to fit in my anchor locker (if I put the rope the right way).
Also the coated anchors don't work as well when holding, the coating can cause them to move less.
Rather then what anchor fits, take a moment and figure out what anchor you need then figure out where to store it.
The box anchor is heavy if you consider that route.
A 5:1 line angle or even flatter is recommended with pretty much any anchor. I usually anchor in water that is 10’ or less deep and hardly ever in more than 20’. The only time I have anchored in more water was when I was in the Ozarks. I also have a section of chain on the end of the anchor so the line doesn’t pull up on the anchor. If you have trouble moving your anchor have you ever tried 2 anchors off the bow at a 90 degree angle to each other? I haven’t done it myself but I see some larger boats doing it on windy days and they stay pretty still.
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

Exactly, it depends on the area you are anchoring in, there are very few places in Norris lake that you anchor in less than 30 ft, I have anchored in as much as 100ft.
The box anchor is designed to work at a 45degree angle. Somewhere around a 2:3 line angle, infact it doesn't work well at too much of an angle.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp