Garmin connectivity to engine data

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander

Re: Garmin connectivity to engine data

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

My HUA symptoms are really flaring up these days - I just realized this is the thread I started in 2021
Lake Ouachita- Mountain Harbor
Little Rock, AR
herbk@comcast.net
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by herbk@comcast.net »

Hello:
I now have this identical issue of the lack of any engine data displayed on the Cobalt glass cockpit, dual GPSMAP 7607’s.
It started with this: We had a fault and engine shutdown on the Volvo EVC with a shift actuator issue. A very good Volvo tech was able to assist us in resolving the shift actuator alarm and get us back on the water. Since my dealer had not “updated” the Volvo EVC software, the tech did so during the troubleshooting. Two significant updates.
We lost engine data after the update. One suggestion was update the active captain application and the Garmin software. All seems to be current.
Boat is 2020 Cobalt R-5 and Volvo Penta I/O. Any thoughts on how to re-establish contact with the Garmin’s?
2.5” Volvo EVC seems fine and in-line.
Herb
herbk@comcast.net
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I will be spending some time with the Volvo tech later this week as he replaces the “O2 sensors” which showed a fault on the EVC system. We will also look at this issue with regards to no engine data reported to the Cobalt glass cockpit screen. This is very critical as having to refer to the 2.5” EVC from Volvo is not efficient: engine oil pressure, trim, rpm, fuel, etc.

When I spoke to Cobalt about this issue with the glass cockpit system, they reported to me that often engine updates will “disrupt” the flow of info from the EVC to the gateways onto the NMEA backbone. They expressed that often it is resolved via the Vodia software route being able to “re-establish “ the communication handshake (My wording and interpretation, not theirs). They said the gateways (Volvo) are located under the helm on either side of the NMEA apparatus. They also mentioned the Volvo EasyConnect system although I am at a loss for the relevance.

The Volvo tech is skeptical at this point as he commented the NMEA “just doesn’t shut off”. He is still thinking updates to the displays I think. Hopefully some answers to this are coming soon.

Herb
2020 R-5
Volvo Penta DP
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Have you tried to re-initialize each gauge? That is what I needed to do when I replaced my EZ Connect. A little different issue but the EVC needs to communicate the the EZ Connect which translate the info to the NMEA2K so your panels can read the engine parameters,
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
herbk@comcast.net
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Stifflkd:
Thanks for weighing in on this.
I am not at all sure as to the process
of “re-initializing each gauge” would be.

Could you give a description of how to proceed?

Herb
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Just press and hold on the gauge you want to re-initialize and select REPLACE DATA. Select the parameter for that gauge and you should be good.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
herbk@comcast.net
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Stifflkd:
Thanks for the info and procedure.
I gave this a whirl yesterday but the gauges / settings did not recover. I have spoken with Cobalt, Volvo Penta and Garmin techs on this issue and everyone seems to be in agreement.
The issue is related to the Volvo “updates” that were available and done to the engine / EVC thru the Vodia software. The flow of engine data must come to the Glass Cockpit via the Volvo EVC and the NMEA 2000 backbone. During the update, that link was disrupted and is no longer providing the data.
The Glass Cockpit is looking for it: it just isn’t there.
Several high volume Cobalt dealers confirm they have seen this recently after some Volvo engine updates,
Looks like I need the Volvo tech and this Vodia software (or Easy Connect) to re-establish this handshake.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Sorry to hear you having an issue in the middle of the summer. Hopefully the dealer puts you up the priority line since it sounds like it went south with the tech updating engine firmware. I had an O2 fault as well this year on mine. I bit the bullet and did it myself rather than getting the boat down south.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Well...installed my new Mercury Gateway and all my gauges are functioning properly!

We will now see if they stay that way
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
herbk@comcast.net
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

While I wasn’t able to get “hands on” support from my dealer to resolve this connectivity issue, I was able to benefit from information pulled from this group as well as telephone support from Cobalt as well as a “friendly” service department at a major Cobalt dealer here in the East.
The “revelation” started with recognizing that VP Easy Connect was on board the boat and ready to be configured. I had no documentation on this but was able to verify it is there and able to connect. Mine is a 2020 VP DP-CE 300 HP, so I would venture to say any boats of this vintage or newer have the Easy Connect on board.
From that point, I was able to find the two settings in the IOS app and turn them back on: NMEA 2000 communications and Easy Connect communications. Garmin connectivity to the engine data was restored. For whatever reason, the fuel readout was sluggish and the last gauge to return to connectivity.

All is back now. I let my dealer know that Easy Connect is on the boats he is selling and he can perhaps save himself and his customers future issues by letting them know the Easy Connect feature is available on these boats.
Solved….
Herb
2020 R-5
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:56 pm Well...installed my new Mercury Gateway and all my gauges are functioning properly!

We will now see if they stay that way
Update:

Lost my gauges again but now have determined what the problem is and possibly was all along. My left hand Garmin 7607 has a bad NMEA 2000 interface. When I look at what is connected on the left hand Garmin, it shows no connections other than itself. I tried different cable tees as well as different cables. When the left hand Garmin is on the bus, it is doing something to the bus and causes to the right hand Garnin that has my gauges. When I disconnect the left hand 7607 I am good all the time...no dropouts

Got on the phone with Garmin and they did a little troubleshooting as well and they agree with my conclusion.

Here's th eproblem...as far as I can tell there are no new 7607XSV available. I want to buy a spare in case my right hand one fails.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA