Turns over- but won’t start

Bwilford
Ensign
Ensign

Turns over- but won’t start

Post by Bwilford »

My 2019 R5 won’t start. The key turns over perfectly like it always does, battery is strong, I hear a beep from the engine and then nothing. No error messages on the dash. It’s like in a car when the alternator won’t start. Wondering if anyone had this problem and can offer any advice.
willyswagon
Captain
Captain

Re: Turns over- but won’t start

Post by willyswagon »

Kill switch not connected on the throttle would be where I would start. Remove it( hard pull down towards the deck) and reset it on the housing to see if it makes a difference.
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Is this the same boat with a screen issues? I wonder if its related? Could be a bad keyswitch missing the ign signal. Could also be a lot of other things too.
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Is it in neutral?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Is this a Volvo Penta? Anything on the display by the shifter?

I’ve been working on a ghost issue and I would tell you there is a real possibility it’s the same issue as mine, I can’t do a real test until Monday and don’t want to lead you down the wrong path.

Any other issues other than Garmins and this? Sounded like there may be some more.
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

Bwilford wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:21 pm It’s like in a car when the alternator won’t start
🤔
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

Bwilford wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:21 pm My 2019 R5 won’t start. The key turns over perfectly like it always does, battery is strong, I hear a beep from the engine and then nothing. No error messages on the dash. It’s like in a car when the alternator won’t start. Wondering if anyone had this problem and can offer any advice.
If you get nothing when you turn the key you have a signal problem. Look at any "safeties ". Is it in neutral like BB asked? Reset the kill switch ? Not sure what else would not allow it to turn over ?
2018 r5
2003 220
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Bwilford wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:21 pm My 2019 R5 won’t start. The key turns over perfectly like it always does, battery is strong, I hear a beep from the engine and then nothing. No error messages on the dash. It’s like in a car when the alternator won’t start. Wondering if anyone had this problem and can offer any advice.
We had a very similar issue last year. A battery terminal connection came loose.
Check your battery connection. That’s a lot of juice trying to crank an engine. Make sure those terminal connections are snug an tight on both batteries.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
JoelP
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JoelP »

Similar issue on our 2020 cs23, wife was out the other day and it would turn over and crank, but wouldn't start. After a few attempts, she got it going, but never had this issue before. I am going to the marina tomorrow to test it myself. Any suggestions?
2020 CS 23 with Volvo 300hp
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

JoelP wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:41 pm Similar issue on our 2020 cs23, wife was out the other day and it would turn over and crank, but wouldn't start. After a few attempts, she got it going, but never had this issue before. I am going to the marina tomorrow to test it myself. Any suggestions?
I have noticed ours will crank for some time before it fires when it is hot out and after the engine is good and warm, like after a good run and coving for a bit then at the time to go it will act up. I am sure vapor locking is our issue. What temp is yours acting up? I see we have the same engines.
CS23
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

My R5 has done that but only once or twice in its life and it’s always the first or second trip out for the year if I still have old gas in the tank. Once I run a little out and put fresh gas in I am good for the rest of the year. Once I started running 91 no ethanol a few years ago and haven’t had trouble since.
JoelP
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JoelP »

This is new gas. It happened to her after she had been out running for a bit. So the engine was probably warm. Once started, boat runs great. Now, I have heard that I should turn the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting to let everything get set to start. Would running the blower help before start as well, I doubt my wife is doing that.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

JoelP wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm This is new gas. It happened to her after she had been out running for a bit. So the engine was probably warm. Once started, boat runs great. Now, I have heard that I should turn the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting to let everything get set to start. Would running the blower help before start as well, I doubt my wife is doing that.
Yikes JP. :shock:

Run that blower for at least two minutes before EVERY start. This clears any gasoline vapors that may have accumulated in the bilge area which can cause an explosion upon start up. It won’t help with your starting challenge. It only avoids becoming a human missle.

After the blower has run for at least two minutes, turn the key one click to the right. The fuel pump will prime the engine and you’ll hear the alarm beep. Then start after a second or two. She should fire right up first time every time as a fuel injected motor. If it doesn’t you’ll need a Marine tech to read the codes in the ECU for troubleshooting.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
JoelP
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JoelP »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:30 pm
JoelP wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:04 pm This is new gas. It happened to her after she had been out running for a bit. So the engine was probably warm. Once started, boat runs great. Now, I have heard that I should turn the key to the on position for a few seconds before starting to let everything get set to start. Would running the blower help before start as well, I doubt my wife is doing that.
Yikes JP. :shock:

Run that blower for at least two minutes before EVERY start. This clears any gasoline vapors that may have accumulated in the bilge area which can cause an explosion upon start up. It won’t help with your starting challenge. It only avoids becoming a human missle.

After the blower has run for at least two minutes, turn the key one click to the right. The fuel pump will prime the engine and you’ll hear the alarm beep. Then start after a second or two. She should fire right up first time every time as a fuel injected motor. If it doesn’t you’ll need a Marine tech to read the codes inthe ECU for troubleshooting.

Thanks! I'll let her know. I am gonna head up to the marina tomorrow and make sure everything is fine.