220S WSS Stereo Upgrade

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
Plastik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

220S WSS Stereo Upgrade

Post by Plastik »

Considering upgrading all stereo components (from stock) in our 2014 220S. Any suggestions for head units (preferably Bluetooth for iPhone streaming), speakers, amps…and has anyone made a bass work somewhere? Not sure we’re going as far as arch speakers but open to suggestions there too.

Thx
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 220S WSS Stereo Upgrade

Post by Krob1114 »

Plastik wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:37 pm Considering upgrading all stereo components (from stock) in our 2014 220S. Any suggestions for head units (preferably Bluetooth for iPhone streaming), speakers, amps…and has anyone made a bass work somewhere? Not sure we’re going as far as arch speakers but open to suggestions there too.

Thx
You should probably decide about arch speakers before you pick amp.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Biggest upgrade is to better main speakers (e.g., JL Audio) along with external/discrete amplifiers to drive them. Head unit depends somewhat on what constraints you might have - do you want to use the same remote (or remote hole) you currently have? Stick with a DIN form factor in the glove box? Rockford Fosgate makes some nice ones, as does Fusion, but Kicker, MB Quart, JL Audio, etc., all make "modern" style marine receivers that are pretty solid too.

We have a forum discount on crativeaudio.net, which may help stretch dollars a bit farther when doing the upgrade as well. They're also pretty experienced, and great for advice.

And, I agree - buy amps to support a couple extra channels for arch speakers if it's even a possibility, rather than buying new amps again in a few years when you decide it's time to add them on.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
kbloom72
Commander
Commander

Post by kbloom72 »

+1 on what John wrote. I contacted Creative Audio and told them what I was looking for and they came back with multiple options and tons of advice. To make it even better they gave me a great forum member discount. I can't recommend them enough.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL