2020 Cobalt SC25 Bowrider - 100 Hour Review, Observations & Ratings

(23SC, 25SC, 30SC, 24SD, 26SD)
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

2020 Cobalt SC25 Bowrider - 100 Hour Review, Observations & Ratings

Post by Marco4Ever »

*Full Disclosure: New to me with only 72 hours and was stored at Marina Indoors with concierge wash down performed after each operation. Stored on lift & covered for the past 5 months, washed down and wiped after each use and/or rain in SWFL on the gulf. I am following the window sticker format for write up structure.

Structure/Safety/Performance/Appearance A+

The Good
Comparable to Mercedes, smooth quality ride, cuts 1-2’ waves like butter with minimal bouncing, jolts or structural groans while cruising along at 33mph with 12 adults onboard.

I am not sure if it is the Kevlar reinforced hull or composite transom, however, she feels solid and safe and the gas milage from the Yamaha 300 is a bonus. Guests have all commented on the solid feel of the ride at slow & high speed and the steering is exactly how folks have described – painless.
The Bad
Nothing that stands out worth mentioning

Dash/Instrumentation C+

The Good
The instrument cluster with Dual Garmin 7607 displays is very easy to read in the daylight and even better at dusk into the night. The USB ports, switches are very well placed and the chrome accents on the steering wheel are well placed so you do not burn your hands in the summer sun.

The Garmin 7607 has extensive custom display capabilities that allow you to create heads up displays that empower you to copy/cut/paste the information that you want to be displayed.

Take five minutes and watch some YouTube videos and you will be able to see how easy it is to accomplish – Left displays navigation and Right displays key data in 2” size font so I do not need my reading glasses – GPS Speed, Depth, Oil Pressure, Sunrise/Set, Fuel Level, Time. Also you can 1 button press to display a sweet Yamaha default screen with a lot more detailed information.

The Bad
Garmin EOL the 7607 model during 2020 so I am a loss on why they used it in lieu of the 7607 XSV as the XSV is extensible with integrations & modules for Traditional, clearvu and sidevu with fish finder capabilities, video and other goodies so you need to purchase an adapter $$$ if you want to integrate with other devices. As other Cobalt users have posted on CobaltChat forums, the fuel gauge and transducer are sorely lacking, sorely.

Stereo A+++

The Good
The base unit that comes with the SC25 just kicks ass, rock & roll, R&B, Classical and Smooth Jazz all sound amazing on the base system even when cruising at higher speeds with wind. Bluetooth paring is a snap, with XM integration and other apps – simple and straightforward. The Transom Stereo is a nice-to-have although the location placement if you have small kids could be an issue. If you are ordering, you might want to consider splurging on some tower cans to really put the sound out. Suggest you check that out on your demo ride with the dealer. Hint: Bring your own music to test with.

The Bad
Nothing that stands out worth mentioning

Exterior B+

The Good
The Cobalt SC25 is definitely a head turner when you pull up to the dock, restaurants or sandbar. Expect lots of questions, interest and permission to board and look around. Our grey/white simply looks elegant against the other boats, simply elegant.

Anchor Locker is well placed, Windshield is sold and when you hold the frame, you know it is a well built boat. The Fender Clips when used also add to the classy appearance and presentation. The cleats are well placed and are definitely upgraded from the usual ones found on cheaper presentations by Cobalt competitors. Graphics and Cobalt Badging are solid and polish up well. The railing is also upgraded, IMO from competitor boats and mounted solid on the craft, you don’t feel the give that some vendors have.

The Bad
Rusty Chinese knock-off screws, bolts and washers are staining the gelcoat and require constant attention otherwise they will get out-of-hand. Cobalt is victim like so many other vendors of having supplier issues. I am not referring to the Bimini which is supplied to Cobalt, I am referring to most of the rub-rail screws, cleats, swim platform, anchor plate and possibly even the rub-rail itself. I have pulled out over 15 screws from the rub-rail and replaced with real stainless-steel screws and when holding the new ones vs the installed ones, you can feel the difference immediately. Additionally, I compared the weight of one of the non-rusting to the rusting and you know they are from different suppliers. I have replaced most of the Bimini ones as well, again, they are victims of knock-offs. I have contacted my local dealer and will post their reply when I receive it. *If not for the Rust Issue, I would rate Exterior A++++

Interior B+

The Good
Elegant, Refined and Well Thought Out. We take out lots of family and friends and everyone complements on how look & feel of this boat. More people use Mercedes in their praise and it is well deserved. The seat stitching is amazing and it takes a long time (IMO) for the direct sunlight to get it hot enough where you want a towel between you and the material. The Helm Seat is extra wide and extremely comfortable with well-placed cup holder and storage area for your VHF, Cell and other at-hand-items. The walk-through door has a solid latch and if you are out and the weather turns a bit cold, when you button her up the wind is really cut back making it more enjoyable for everyone. Our Cobalt came with a pump out head, however, it has never been used and remains zip tied close.

The Bad
Again, the hinge lift screws under the seats have rust stained underneath side of the cushions and no amount of scrubbing seems to be able to remove it. I have already replaced with Stainless screws and cleaned the hinges/lift mechanism with WD40. I am slowly replacing most of the under-seat rubber gaskets and stoppers as they are not up to standard and have or are in the process of falling apart. The single biggest issue with the interior is large aft seat across the back – while amazing and definitely a crowd pleaser, one or two small drain holes do not adequately allow rain water to flow out requiring you remember to lift and drain the water out which happens to be towards the inside of the boat, not good. (I am thinking of adding a few additional holes to remedy).

Option Upgrades that our 25SC came with:

Options Upgrades: A+

300 Yamaha – Love this Engine, burns clean and just a solid performer
Arch, white (Fwd Folding) W/Bimini, Ebony – some rust leakage at mounts
Battery Maintainer/charger (110v) – works flawlessly
Battery Switch W/Acr-dual – works flawlessly
Bow & Transom Shower Package – Nice, recommend
Bow Cushion Insert (port & stbd) – Nice, recommend
Bow Tonneau Cover, Ebony – Good Quality, recommend
Cockpit Tono Cover, Ebony - Good Quality, recommend
Flagpole W/flag – Heavy Duty, feels solid and it is
Led Interior Accent Lighting, r/g/b – Good Quality, nice to have
Pump Out Porta Potti – N/A, we don’t intend to use
Sof-trac Mat (c/pit&bow Snap-in) titan/blk – Good Quality, recommend
Transom Stereo Remote – nice to have, buyer beware, located along the floor it could be very, very easy for little ones or adults to step on the knob and kill the unit.

MISC

100 HR Service, On Water, Yamaha certified mechanic, $377.00 said the motor and associated break-in review was AOK.

Transom/Depth Error – As found on a number of CobaltChat and other forum entries, a number of folks have had issues with inaccurate readings or no readings with respect to “what is my current depth” when operating in normal/cloudy/sandy/churned up water and I can be counted among them.

Following advice given on CobaltChat, the solution that has worked wonders for me and some other local Cobalt owners is to go forward with some speed and then quickly change into reverse with enough force to shake/stir the fluid in the transom bracket holding it in place in the hull. You may have to do it a couple of times and please make sure passengers are sitting down before you do it. I have found that I need to do it if I have not taken her out for a while. So the easiest thing when pulling away from the dock is to simply ‘shake-her’ and you are all set.

Garbage – a couple of Lowes/Home Depot/BBB bathroom suction cup hooks on the inside of the head door makes a perfect place and easy access for your community garbage bag

Port Side Vanity Locker – the USB & Mini Port for Audio-in works great, however, the old school cigarette lighter can be made useful by adding a USB charger adapter plug-in for additional charging capabilities when friends and family are aboard.

Bath Mats – a couple of color matching bath mats make great accessories when docking for onloading/offloading of passengers when they have to use the seats to egress your boat.

Bow Inserts – ours came with all the extra ones, they fit extremely well using quality latches to hold them in place. They are pricey; however, I would say they are worth it for the two lounging chairs as they really make the difference. If you are going to be using the bow ladder for beaching, the center cushion is a bit of a pain to take in and out and when taking it out, folks have to move from the sets to put them underneath which usually already has stuff in it. Plus, they are not light weight so before ordering I would spend some time laying/sitting and think about your usage requirements at the dealer.

BlackStick Shade – OMG, this is a life changer and worth every dime spent on them. Well made, sturdy and unbelievably useful for providing shade. Ours came with the back unit in place and it holds up at cruising speed (25mph) + and does not whistle or make noise while using, you simply do not even notice it.

Bilge Pump Rear – Sticks a lot. YouTube showed how to clean the filter screen only Cobalt installers elected to use PVC Glue to hold it together so it is a total swap out / replacement. That is something that is on my punch-list.

*New builds have upgraded the Dual Consoles, my review is for folks purchasing
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: 2020 Cobalt SC25 Bowrider - 100 Hour Review, Observations & Ratings

Post by Big Block Power »

Nice write up! Thanks. Glad you are enjoying it 👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Yes fantastic write up M4E. Thanks for taking the time to post that…with pics no less!

I’m curious. If you had to do it all over again, would you make the same purchase again?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marco4Ever »

Absolutely. I was going to put my order in for the same boat when a dealer had this one coming in on a trade up. I pulled the trigger via iPhone video walk through and mechanic report. Did not want to risk loosing her as we all know the supply issue.

Hopefully I can get the rust issues addressed and my ratings will be changed to A+++

We are still boating in SWFL - probably do a Turkey Pub Crawl. . . :)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Roger that. Great to hear my friend. 👍
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Great post. Thanks.
First thing for me would be the exterior screws.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:51 am Great post. Thanks.
First thing for me would be the exterior screws.
1st for me I would keep it in my Garage so it doesn't get wet 😂😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

Great review. The pictures are a plus. Welcome to the 25sc club
Dafryguy
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dafryguy »

Excllanr report and I have the identical boat and can verify everything is correct and true. My only issue is the ski locker completely pulled away from the piano hinge and I’m waiting to pull the boat so I can get it to the dealer for repairs.
2020 Cobalt 25 SC
300 Yamaha
Perdido Key, FL
ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by ForeverCobalt »

Thank you for that great and detailed write up! I am curious though are others having the same rust issue??? I am wondering now if I should replace them as soon as I take delivery of the boat before they have a chance to stain!
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marco4Ever »

I met another recent local owner who was showing similar issues who advised he knows a couple of folks up in Cape Coral area experiencing rusty hardware bleeding etc. So we are at a total of 4. (Before haters start in, boats hosed after usage and stored on lifts or inside, I asked.)

Interior - check under the seats where they screw into the base, ski locker hinges, cup holders (they pull straight out) bimini clamp screws.
Exterior - #1 Rub Rail. Check all the screws around your baby. Rear Swim Step hinge point, rear screen in-front of the outboard, where the Bimini top meets the hull, front ladder mounting, the screws holding the chrome headlight plates.

I have tried to call a dealer in Naples and have been having one heck of a time getting anyone to answer the phone (busy I suppose) so I may have to take a drive up and go inside in person.

Incidentally, I have talked with several Malibu owners, Boston Whaler, ChrisCraft owners who also are experiencing similar issues with knock-off parts that have seeped into the supply chain.

Happy Boating.
AlexV
Commander
Commander

Post by AlexV »

Dafryguy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:46 pm Excllanr report and I have the identical boat and can verify everything is correct and true. My only issue is the ski locker completely pulled away from the piano hinge and I’m waiting to pull the boat so I can get it to the dealer for repairs.
My anchor locker door did that on my 2020. Also my Cobalt emblem on the port side began to flake. All in all I'm still very happy with mine.
Josie29
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Josie29 »

I am also having similar rust issues. 2017 SC25. I rinse the boat after each use.
2017 Cobalt SC25
Smiles per hour
anothershotinthehead
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by anothershotinthehead »

@marco4ever I have the same boat, bought brand new last year. Similar options except for the motor, I went with the base 250 Merc. I had a few issues at delivery - blown power steering pump, bad fusable link (batteries wouldn't charge, low amps), vinyl on rear sunpad coming unglued, screws around windshield and windshield posts were loose. By the end of the season I had a whopping 38 hours on the boat and it went to dealer for the winter with a few additional issues - there is a soft spot in the floor, emanating from the rear seat, directly in the middle of the seat, it's about 5" wide and 18" long running up the middle of the boat, the latch on the rear cooler locks itself, the little plastic "L" under the copilot seat pulled out (the screws were only in the seat bottom about 1/4", should be through bolted), I have spider cracks in various spots (by most of the cleats and on the swim platform), I have some rust but not to the extent of yours, and the last one, a biggie, the swim step is all bent and won't close. It wasn't used in a fashion other than intended, but it's clearly not as strong as it appears. I have seen a few others comment about this as well. Overall, I love the boat. It gets lots of "looks and nods", and guests always comment on the ride. Excited for next season and tying to keep my want of a 30' with twins in check!
"Another Shot in the Head"
Navy, Red and White 25SC
Metedeconk River & Northern Barnegat Bay
Captain Tim
Marco4Ever
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Marco4Ever »

I was just looking at 30SC with Twin Yamaha 300's vs R8 with the single 425 myself. . .

The Chinese flu had new down the past couple of weeks and with the 40 degree weather in SWFL - I have not been chasing down the dealer on my issues.

One thing to mention - after a rain, tilt your rear seat up and down to drain the water out - I am thinking I need to drill some additional holes as I probably get a couple of gallons emptying out of the seat once I tilt it up.

Catch you on the water in the hear future.