Water Draining

(190 through 360)
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Water Draining

Post by garethcayman »

Howdy Y'all

I had a quick question... Everytime I step on the boat water exits the middle drainage hole.

It doesn't look like it's coming from the bilge pump/engine bay or is it?

Wondering if I have a leak or is this normal? Boat sits in the water all year round...

https://youtu.be/5-Mv11-PZrg

2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Re: Water Draining

Post by SAB220 »

Cayman - what color is the water being pumped? To me it looked stained (rusty). It looks like its stained the hull also. SW boat year round. Hmmm, suggest you look, or have a mechanic, look at the engine manifolds, exhaust Those components have a life on a SW boat. I'm assuming FW cooled and whats being pumped is SW.
2004 220
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by garethcayman »

yea saltwater all year round :o not ideal, the price you pay for living in the Caribbean :D

i'll try take a closer look at the colour next time. its a closed cooling system thankfully, there is usually water in the bottom of the engine bay, this could be saltwater but not sure from where exactly.

cheers I will ask them to check manifolds, exhaust at next service, it is coming up soon.
SAB220 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:38 pm Cayman - what color is the water being pumped? To me it looked stained (rusty). It looks like its stained the hull also. SW boat year round. Hmmm, suggest you look, or have a mechanic, look at the engine manifolds, exhaust Those components have a life on a SW boat. I'm assuming FW cooled and whats being pumped is SW.
2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

There should not be too much water in the bilge at all times Need to have the bellows and other thru-hull fittings checked.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

As your hull lays flat , water can creep forward and or come from mid ship.
Here’s some things on our 282.
Check your ski locker as there is a inspection hole at the back wall under the liner. See a reflection then there is water mid ship.

If you have a fresh water toilet supply the under brass pick up may need a reseal.

Keep the batteries charged on a tender and make sure your insurance covers in water non collision sinking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by liquid »

I suspect gremlins.

Leave sage and a raw onion 🧅 in the ski locker.

Welcome.
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Leave sage . . ."

More specifically, white sage. And it needs to be smoldering. It's the smoke that wards off evil spirits.