Easy fold Bimini

(23SC, 25SC, 30SC, 24SD, 26SD)
15sdcobalt24
Ensign
Ensign

Easy fold Bimini

Post by 15sdcobalt24 »

We have a 2015 SD 24ft looking to have the easy fold Bimini installed on it. Cobalt says it will work on our boat but 2 different dealers says it will not. Has anyone installed the easy fold bimini on their SD ?
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Easy fold Bimini

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome. Just search threads in here they're are a few. Tuscany added one and a few others did as well. Not sure if you can though on a SD. Plus Cobalt may have stopped doing it as they had some issues with it?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

15sdcobalt24 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:03 am We have a 2015 SD 24ft looking to have the easy fold Bimini installed on it. Cobalt says it will work on our boat but 2 different dealers says it will not. Has anyone installed the easy fold bimini on their SD ?
So glad you found us 15SD....
Not sure about the SD model. Maybe a pic will help us visualize?

And welcome aboard mate!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I tried to do the same thing as you on my R3....it turned into a nightmare due to the local dealer and I abandoned my quest (the local dealer refused to sell me just the parts to convert and tried to sell a whole new bimini--for double what Cobalt lists on their website). I'm not sure they every really understood what I was asking or didn't want the business. I called Cobalt and they were of absolutely zero help---even to the point of refusing to sell me the parts as they claimed to "not offer that anymore"....I called them out on their own website as the system still offered on the new build templates and then they agreed they would sell it to me, but with zero warranty--ok, fine--but you have to go to your local dealer. Enter the local dealer and the wheel kept spinning!~

Now, here's the good news, you only need a few parts to convert. Our member Snowman on here was fantastic as he provided me with the parts list from when he did his. The install doesn't look to be too bad. I called a few other dealers (I think it was Boats by George in New York) and they had the parts in stock, knew exactly what I wanted to do and could have shipped the parts to arrive in 2 days.

We ended up with a different dock, so it became a moot point, but it should be able to be done.

Oh, and as a side, to BBP's point, I was told by my purchasing dealer that early generations of the EZ fold Bimini had the track cars installed backwards due to bad installation instructions at the factory, which made them collapse suddenly and that's why Cobalt never pushed the product.....I don't know how true that is, but it would make sense.