Dual glass cockpit question

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Dual glass cockpit question

Post by BRDad »

I posted this in the electronics form but I figured maybe this audience would have more information…

viewtopic.php?t=6064

Hi All,

Looking for some information on the dual glass cockpit set up.

I have 2 Garmin 10” in my new R4 that I’ll be picking up.

I know from the dealer it is set up to have the chart plotter / navigation non the left screen and the boat information and controls on the right screen (gages, light color control, rear video camera, etc.

99% of the time by boat will be used on a lake where I will not at all need the navigation. Does the left side have to be navigation or can it also be used for boat information. As an example…If I wanted to have rear camera showing of the left screen and boat gages showing on the right screen. Or if I want to have the boat gages on the left screen vs. the right screen?

I’m just trying to understand how much control I can have as far as the content on each screen. It would suck to have a whole screen that is not used since navigation features ogre not needed on the lake.

Thanks for any information!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Dual glass cockpit question

Post by BobRae99 »

I believe you can display what you want on each screen. At least that is the way the Garmin 7607s work on my R3
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:07 pm I believe you can display what you want on each screen. At least that is the way the Garmin 7607s work on my R3
That's awesome! I sure hope so.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Changing the screens wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. It took me forever just to move the depth reading to the top of the right screen. It was set up with water temp there and that's not nearly as important to me.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

I had a moment to fiddle with my screens last night. The first picture is the way it comes preprogrammed from the factory. If you go into edit home mode on the left screen you have the option to edit one of the 4 icons shown. It appears that you can then select pretty much anything you want to replace one of the 4 icons with as shown in the 2nd picture. As a disclaimer I did not change the layout and ensure that it will work but it does appear visually that it is possible. Hope that helps!
IMG_0382.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

I've changed it on mine it's pretty easy... also you can go into settings and select the option to have the boat start up on the screens previously used so that every time you turn the key on it doesn't revert back to the start up screens.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

dsthomas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:10 am I've changed it on mine it's pretty easy... also you can go into settings and select the option to have the boat start up on the screens previously used so that every time you turn the key on it doesn't revert back to the start up screens.
This is all super helpful. My boat is staying at the dealer until it can go in the water around April. I have not had much time to play with it which is not easy :) I’m beyond excited to get it totally dialed in.
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

This looks great!

As an R7 owner, I'm bummed that Garmin isn't putting "OneHelm" in the 76xx line of screens. I very much want to convert my interior and underwater lighting in to the panels (we do lots of night cruising).
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

BRDad wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:49 am
dsthomas wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:10 am I've changed it on mine it's pretty easy... also you can go into settings and select the option to have the boat start up on the screens previously used so that every time you turn the key on it doesn't revert back to the start up screens.
This is all super helpful. My boat is staying at the dealer until it can go in the water around April. I have not had much time to play with it which is not easy :) I’m beyond excited to get it totally dialed in.
We've had a lot of fun "garage boating", spent hours in it with an adult beverage playing with the settings and lighting and such. You'll love it!
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

tbully wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:06 am This looks great!

As an R7 owner, I'm bummed that Garmin isn't putting "OneHelm" in the 76xx line of screens. I very much want to convert my interior and underwater lighting in to the panels (we do lots of night cruising).
As a former R7 owner I feel your pain! I am really enjoying having the lighting, stereo controls, zero off, etc. in the screens" The capability has been there for years as other manufactuers have done so I am not really sure what took Cobalt so long to get with the program.
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

Soonerfan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:31 pm

As a former R7 owner I feel your pain! I am really enjoying having the lighting, stereo controls, zero off, etc. in the screens" The capability has been there for years as other manufactuers have done so I am not really sure what took Cobalt so long to get with the program.
Sorry for now knowing..I know I can control RGB lights from screens but are you saying that stereo, zero off WILL work or NOT work on my 2022 R4 on the screens? I had thought the stereo can only be controlled via the head unit and the zero off can only be controlled via its own screen?

Thanks!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

I'd like to see the sound system controls move to the Glass Cockpit as well and include Apple CarPlay. The current control is too cumbersome to adjust sound levels in each zone, frequency response, etc.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

I'm not sure of the new "R's". However, I was able to connect my sound system to the NMEA bus. I'm now able to do basic controls in the Garmin including zone levels, etc. It's a little buggy but works 90% of the time. I haven't found a way to get an RGB controller to talk to existing Garmins, however. Everything I find needs the "OneHelm" capabilities of the newer panels.

Extreme step would be to get the 8600 series panels and see if I could get them to work. That's pretty expensive not knowing the long term plans for the boat. (I'd have to get a custom dash, too, I suppose)
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

BRDad wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:05 pm
Soonerfan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:31 pm

Sorry for now knowing..I know I can control RGB lights from screens but are you saying that stereo, zero off WILL work or NOT work on my 2022 R4 on the screens? I had thought the stereo can only be controlled via the head unit and the zero off can only be controlled via its own screen?

Thanks!
On my 18 R7S everything was controlled by manual controls. The RGB had a button to push and twist, the stereo had to be controlled by the head unit, the zero off was a separate control module, etc. All that is gone and everything is controlled via the glass making it much cleaner in my opinion.
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

Soonerfan wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:08 am
On my 18 R7S everything was controlled by manual controls. The RGB had a button to push and twist, the stereo had to be controlled by the head unit, the zero off was a separate control module, etc. All that is gone and everything is controlled via the glass making it much cleaner in my opinion.
As it should be. The panels can/could handle it. Boat manufacturers are as much system integrators as they are builders these days. This is perhaps my biggest complaint with my Cobalt. Probably because I know it wouldn't have been difficult or much more expensive to do it right.

Congrats on your new ride! I'd be remiss if I didn't say I'm starting to get the itch as well!
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP