Cobalt after Malibu take over

Wilderwein
Ensign
Ensign

Cobalt after Malibu take over

Post by Wilderwein »

Is it just me or has Cobalt dropped the ball?

For me the new R series is a step down. No extended hull, the dash is not that well made and very basic design.Image They are destroying the Coblat DNA imo. Its so sad to see. My dream boat is a 2017 R7 or a A40 depending on occasion.

Whats your opinion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Cobalt after Malibu take over

Post by AsLan7 »

Everyone's experience will be different but I've noticed the trend starting in 2009 and culminating with the takeover of a family owned business by the big boys in 2017. We've seen a lot of collateral damage and changes...some changes for the better and some for the worse. Quite a few posts on the topic.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Wilderwein
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wilderwein »

Ok, so it started in 2009? I only had one Cobalt and that my 220 2005. We dont have any agent here in Sweden any more so have not been able to see the newer boats in the flesh. Sad because I really love my boat but starts to feel a bit small.
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

AsLan7 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:59 am .
Everyone's experience will be different but I've noticed the trend starting in 2009 and culminating with the takeover of a family owned business by the big boys in 2017. We've seen a lot of collateral damage and changes...some changes for the better and some for the worse. Quite a few posts on the topic.

What happened in 2009?
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Wilderwein wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:20 am Ok, so it started in 2009? I only had one Cobalt and that my 220 2005. We dont have any agent here in Sweden any more so have not been able to see the newer boats in the flesh. Sad because I really love my boat but starts to feel a bit small.
Table Rockin wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:25 am

What happened in 2009?
The great recession hit in 2008 and many boat builders, including Cobalt, had to cut corners to survive. Many models were eliminated or consolidated with similar hulls and contractors cut costs as well in order to survive. Cobalt's long time president and founder Pack St. Clair also stepped down in 2007 to pursue other interests passing the line on to his son Paxson. We started noticing small changes in quality (after visiting Cobalt vendors at various boat shows) beginning around 2009 as Paxson took the company in a different direction while also weathering the GR. Eventually Paxson stepped down and had a seat on the board after the Malibu acquisition in 2017. Paxson is not really involved with "Cobu/MalCo" anymore. He does enjoy boating still and decided to try his hand at boat lifts. He purchased Summerset Boat Lifts at LOTO. His son Pack III is the new owner. They still believe in customer service and a company culture of quality, love and respect.....just in a different venue now.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Well... I'm coming from an R7 Surf to the R8 Surf... I feel like the dash area for sure is a step down in the R8 just as far as design goes, and I have noticed ripples like the one circled in the picture. It's not enough that I feel like I wish I had my R7 back, becasue the wave on my new R8 Surf is much, much better. But I do feel like the dash in particular is a step down in overall quality especially for a 200K boat! I also go to the boat show every year and I really havent seen any other boat that I'd rather own. I think it's just a sign of the times. Everyone trying to increase their profit margin as much as they can. Other than the dash area though I don't think the quality of the Even R's is any worse or better than the Odd numbered.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Wilderwein
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wilderwein »

@dsthomas
I see that you had a lot of different Cobalts over the years. How would you compare their hull? Because I really enjoy how fun my 220 is when driving active. It really can turn.
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Wilderwein wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:01 pm @dsthomas
I see that you had a lot of different Cobalts over the years. How would you compare their hull? Because I really enjoy how fun my 220 is when driving active. It really can turn.
To be fair I haven’t really owned the R8 long enough to include it, the hour or so I’ve spent on it though I’m very impressed with the ride and circling back to go over our own wake it feels really sold, the thing is so heavy I feel like it’s gonna cut through the chop pretty well. The R7 was really nice much better than our 242; however, my wife and I both agree the A25 we had was the best as far as ride goes, we had that boat on table rock during rush hour and it did very well. The hydraulic swim platform was really cool, we put so many hours on the back of that boat just hanging out. People would complement it all the time, it was just such a cool boat. That was a very sad day we sold that boat! Our kids began losing interest so we decided to delve into the world of surfing so that’s why we sold it. But man it was a smooth ride 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas City, MO
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Wilderwein
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wilderwein »

That A25 is really nice. I don't like when the bottom color goes up at the back of the boat. But in solid marine blue it's gorgeous. I only seen one A25 for sale here in Sweden but it had a 8,1l gl engine. Not to my liking.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I think the r8 dash was a quick fix to get it on line and built. I think cobalt was going a different way with the guages and that didn't work out so they did a quick fix and this is what you got now. It looks cheap and not very classy. The rest of the boat though I think it's top notch. Yes I love my 220 also but the odd series R boats were the bomb. The A series well. They were also the bomb but big heavy tanks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

dsthomas wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 11:31 am Well... I'm coming from an R7 Surf to the R8 Surf... I feel like the dash area for sure is a step down in the R8 just as far as design goes, and I have noticed ripples like the one circled in the picture. It's not enough that I feel like I wish I had my R7 back, becasue the wave on my new R8 Surf is much, much better. But I do feel like the dash in particular is a step down in overall quality especially for a 200K boat! I also go to the boat show every year and I really havent seen any other boat that I'd rather own. I think it's just a sign of the times. Everyone trying to increase their profit margin as much as they can. Other than the dash area though I don't think the quality of the Even R's is any worse or better than the Odd numbered.
I noticed that same wrinkling on the dash of my new R6. I'm hoping that when it sits in the sun it may relax all the materials. I'm debating whether or not it's worth bringing up to the service dept. Doesn't really bother me that much so maybe not worth the trouble and potential making it worse.
2022 R6 VP350 Ebony/Frost/White
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:40 pm I think the r8 dash was a quick fix to get it on line and built. I think cobalt was going a different way with the guages and that didn't work out so they did a quick fix and this is what you got now. It looks cheap and not very classy. The rest of the boat though I think it's top notch. Yes I love my 220 also but the odd series R boats were the bomb. The A series well. They were also the bomb but big heavy tanks.
BBP I saw a pic of what must have been a prototype they had one screen horizontal and one by the throttle that was vertical. Maybe they were trying to integrate Malibu screens but it wouldn’t connect play nice with the Volvo and merc? Total speculation on my part.
Kansas City, MO
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Wilderwein wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:41 pm That A25 is really nice. I don't like when the bottom color goes up at the back of the boat. But in solid marine blue it's gorgeous. I only seen one A25 for sale here in Sweden but it had a 8,1l gl engine. Not to my liking.
Mine was powered with VP 350. We aren’t much for speed we typically like to cruise around 25-30 mph, but it defiantly had some get up to it. Would love to visit Sweden someday I imagine you have some beautiful lakes?!
Kansas City, MO
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

We I was young, I was into guitars. I found a Fender Stratocaster at a good price and bought it. I later found out that I got a good price because it was a newer model, after CBS had bought Fender. The older, pre-CBS models sold for more money.

I wonder if people will pay more for pre-Malibu Cobalts?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Wilderwein
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Wilderwein »

dsthomas wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:04 pm
Wilderwein wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:41 pm That A25 is really nice. I don't like when the bottom color goes up at the back of the boat. But in solid marine blue it's gorgeous. I only seen one A25 for sale here in Sweden but it had a 8,1l gl engine. Not to my liking.
Mine was powered with VP 350. We aren’t much for speed we typically like to cruise around 25-30 mph, but it defiantly had some get up to it. Would love to visit Sweden someday I imagine you have some beautiful lakes?!
If you do please let me know. If you are visiting our area I can show you around in our old Cobalt pre 2009. ;)
This is were we boat. Its really nice but only for a short period of time. May-Aug. Not a cobalt but my tender. :D