1984 Cobalt 19BR Bimini

(190 through 360)
R3dRyd3r
Ensign
Ensign

1984 Cobalt 19BR Bimini

Post by R3dRyd3r »

The Saga continues on the 19BR, I had to switch workshops mid winter (the mechanic could never get to my boat, told me to just find someone else) and we had the new shop pick up where he left off, got new gimbal bearings, boots and throttle cable, and while they had the outdrive off, saw that the housing was cracked. $900 for a refurb housing, and then had to wait etc etc... Finally after three months, got all the parts gathered and it took about a week to actually do the work. Then they started on the floor, took out the old original carpet to find rotten floorboards. New floor, new Mari-deck covering, and new seats, etc etc... Now I have been asked (after telling them for five months) "what kind of Bimini do you want?" I have specified brands and colors, (tailormade, Carver, Summerset) So I guess now is the time to commit, if anyone has added a Bimini to a 1970's/1980's Bow rider, please let me learn for your experience. What brand did you purchase? What would you different? What are the tips that you can pass along?

Thank you for your reply.

R3d
R3dRyd3r
Ensign
Ensign

Re: 1984 Cobalt 19BR Bimini

Post by R3dRyd3r »

No opinions? from this group that seems unlikely. What exactly did I do to get the silent treatment?
NWABoater
Commander
Commander

Post by NWABoater »

Hey R3d.. I don't have any firsthand experience purchasing and installing a bimini yet but it's on my shopping list for next year. You might just have to look through the product reviews to see what people liked or didn't like.

Keep us updated on the boat progress. Sounds like you've got a similar project on your hands that I do with my '87 21br.
1987 Cobalt 21BR
Beaver Lake, Arkansas
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

@R3dRyd3r - I'm quite sure you are not getting the silent treatment in terms of being shunned - as a contributor on many different forums, what you find is that unless anyone who read your post has direct knowledge of what you are asking, they simply won't reply just to say "I don't know the answer"
if anyone has added a Bimini to a 1970's/1980's Bow ride

Recognize that is a fairly limited subset of the forum population - first, by the type and generation and secondly, of those, who has added a Bimini.
So the non-replies are nothing more than no-one who has read your request falls into that specific segment.
The good news is your post got several 'bumps' just through the last couple of replies and that has taken your thread back to the top. :D
Perhaps a topic that may have been a bit more broad would be to simply ask what aftermarket Bimini's have people purchased and their feelings about their choice?
I'm dealing with the same deliberation myself over a Bimini - it is impossible to find OEM - I even asked Cobalt who made for my model originally and came up dry (there is a thread on that so I won't regurgitate the details)
I'm realizing that 'Universal' choices are exactly that - it means not designed specifically for your model* and there WILL be some compromises. It seems like the only solution for something that fits YOUR boat exactly is to have a custom shop do it.
*Note that with for example Carver/Covercraft, they lead you through entering your boat year/model and configuration but you end up at a Universal page, not something specific to your model.
Mine has an OEM Wake Tower and that further complicates things for me - without a tower, it doesn't have to work around whatever nuances that might bring. Speaking of Towers however, someone like Samson can supply a Tower/Bimini package - a lot more money, but might be something you could be attracted to.
https://samsonsports.com/portfolio-post ... rd-towers/
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

R3dRyd3r wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 pm No opinions? from this group that seems unlikely. What exactly did I do to get the silent treatment?
I have read or speed read most of the links here in the winters just to learn.
Like most, I haven't responded because I can't help. There are not that many regulars who have been through what you're asking.
Don't give up on us and it's not personal. Look at "Quick links", then "Unanswered topics", and you'll see what I mean.

Glad you're here.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
R3dRyd3r
Ensign
Ensign

Post by R3dRyd3r »

Thanks for the Replies! OK so I went with a CARVER Bimini top for the 1984 19BR. Some good and bad with this choice. One the operation and function of the cover is great. Easy to install and simple layout on my boat. There are some quality issues with the hardware. The swivel attachments that hold the support brace on the tubes that cross and support the canopy are made of plastic. While trying to move the canopy into position by myself, I twisted the swivels too much and broke the support backet. It broke very easy. too easy.
20220813_125240.jpg
I replaced the broken ones with Stainless brackets that are much more forgiving.

I think it looks good but not great.
6577.jpeg
We also replaced the floor and put a grey Vinal over the new plywood deck, added some pedestal swivel chairs for the Helm and the Passenger, and replaced the rear seats that someone had previously installed

Let me know what you think of the mods!
20220611_191841.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Nice work!
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Old school Cobalt. Nice job with the restore R3d..
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)