Boat cover

ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Boat cover

Post by ForeverCobalt »

I know this topic has been covered in multiple threads unfortunately I have not been able to find anything. I have a 2022 R6 Outboard with the non collapsible tower and I would like a cover that goes over the whole tower and partially down the sides of the boat so that when it is stored outside the whole boat is covered. I went to a local shop here and was quoted $7700 for sunbrella and a few hundred dollars less if I went to other materials. Now I understand that going over the tower uses a lot of material but that price seems excessive to me. Thoughts/insights very much appreciated!
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Re: Boat cover

Post by Holy Smokes »

That does seem rather high. No doubt you're in the realm of a custom upholstery shop. Shop around and see if there's a better option. List your location and maybe some of the members have a local suggestion.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by ForeverCobalt »

Thank HS! I am located in southern California area, south orange county.
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

I think that price is crazy. Don’t get sunbrella, still let’s moisture through, ask for top gun (get a sample piece). Having the sides covered will be very heavy. Will this boat be on a trailer or lift most of the time? If trailer, perhaps ask for the sides to be zippered. That will at least remove a lot of the weight when trying to get over the tower. My winter cover goes around the boat and is very heavy to put on. Same type just goes down far. Mine also would puddle in the bow so I had him add two straps to from bow to the trailer to take care of that.

Btw, my wife’s aunt’s house burned to the ground yesterday in the fires in Kevin’s Nigel. Terrible
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

ajcampen wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 am I think that price is crazy. Don’t get sunbrella, still let’s moisture through, ask for top gun (get a sample piece). Having the sides covered will be very heavy. Will this boat be on a trailer or lift most of the time? If trailer, perhaps ask for the sides to be zippered. That will at least remove a lot of the weight when trying to get over the tower. My winter cover goes around the boat and is very heavy to put on. Same type just goes down far. Mine also would puddle in the bow so I had him add two straps to from bow to the trailer to take care of that.

Btw, my wife’s aunt’s house burned to the ground yesterday in the fires in Kevin’s Nigel. Terrible
That sucks man!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:26 pm
ajcampen wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:39 am I think that price is crazy. Don’t get sunbrella, still let’s moisture through, ask for top gun (get a sample piece). Having the sides covered will be very heavy. Will this boat be on a trailer or lift most of the time? If trailer, perhaps ask for the sides to be zippered. That will at least remove a lot of the weight when trying to get over the tower. My winter cover goes around the boat and is very heavy to put on. Same type just goes down far. Mine also would puddle in the bow so I had him add two straps to from bow to the trailer to take care of that.

That sucks man!
Damn auto correct….Leguna Nigel
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

That is insane,
I paid $1,750 for a winter cover that covers arch, windlass and swim platform down to the water line with zippered transom access for a 2021 R5. Different purpose but should put it in perspective.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by ForeverCobalt »

I am really sorry to hear about your aunt's house, that is so sad! A number of people from my work had to be evacuated but fortunately no one lost anything.

Thank you for the insight! Not sure what I am going to end up doing, maybe just use the factory cover and see what happens.
ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by ForeverCobalt »

@stifflkd where did you get yours made? Locally?
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

ForeverCobalt wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:25 am @stifflkd where did you get yours made? Locally?
Yes, he is a dealer for Fischer Canvas
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by ForeverCobalt »

Thank you! I will call them today
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

6CE55ABD-9E5D-47B6-B3D1-D24E473B77CA.jpeg
I'd be thinking about a garage or carport for that kind of money
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I make boat covers and that seems super high. I actually prefer Sunbrella to TopGun since Sunbrella breathes so much better. Personally, I would try to get the factory cover but it likely won't cover the tower.

Usually when you get a price like that, it's because they are super busy with work already which is what happens this time of year.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by ForeverCobalt »

Thank you Bruce! Unfortunately the factory doesnt cover the tower but since it is temporary for less than a year I just got a $500 cover from amazon and it works ok. Will definitely keep you in mind and thank you!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Commrecial Sewing makes a lot of the OEM covers for Cobalt, but doesn't sell directly to consumers. I like the mooring cover I have (has velcro cutouts for the arch) and use it for storage as well as towing/trailering, and the price you were quoted seems absurd - almost like they don't want the business.

I bet your local dealer would add on a mooring cover to another R6 order, or is that not an option for you?

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)