R5 Bimini brcket is loose

jimmyr5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

R5 Bimini brcket is loose

Post by jimmyr5 »

The bracket that the bimini frame bolts to is loose. The bracket is attached to the side of the boat to the fiberglass not sure if it is thru bolted with a nut and washer on the back side or not. the bolt will not tighten or will it back out as it just spins. thats why i think it may have a nut on it. i cant seam to find a way to tighten as i cant get to the back side. anybody have a suggestion.
thanks jim
tomace13
Commander
Commander

Re: R5 Bimini brcket is loose

Post by tomace13 »

Picture?
1995 220
Red Rock, IA
jimmyr5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jimmyr5 »

pic of bracket
IMG_6430 (1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skno
Commander
Commander

Post by skno »

If you can get the other screw out, you can apply upward pressure on the bracket and unscrew the stripped out one. Fill the screw holes with epoxy and redrill the correct size and reinsert the screws. It is possible that wont work , but that is how I would attack it if the screw was stripped and I do believe that is a screw.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Remove the other one to see if it's a screw. I also believe it is and do the same. Add epoxy. Unless you can reach up to it then bolt it up.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jimmyr5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jimmyr5 »

unfortunately I tried that and the striped screw will not back out. that's why i was wondering if there is a nut on the back side the other screw is not original That one is a #10 course thread screw I think the original is a #8 machine screw
tomace13
Commander
Commander

Post by tomace13 »

jimmyr5 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 1:33 pm unfortunately I tried that and the striped screw will not back out. that's why i was wondering if there is a nut on the back side the other screw is not original That one is a #10 course thread screw I think the original is a #8 machine screw
Your only real options here are to get the screw to bite enough to back it out, or to drill it out. Get leverage under the screw head while attempting to back it out, if it will free spin it will almost certainly come out with some encouragement from a flat bar while backing it out.

If that won’t work and you can’t access the underside….you’re looking at cutting it flush and drilling it out. You’ll likely end up with an oversized hole that will need to be filled with epoxy. Really need to exhaust all options to back it out with some encouragement first.
1995 220
Red Rock, IA
skno
Commander
Commander

Post by skno »

Jimmy,
Did you get it out?
jimmyr5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jimmyr5 »

yes I did. Thanks to all. It turns out there was a nut and washer on the back side. so I filled the holes with epoxy and I'm going to drill and use a #10 wood screw to reinstall unless someone knows a better way? I would prefer to thru bolt but that not an option Thanks again Jim
Auburnbuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by Auburnbuilder »

Use a screw nut and washer, wood screw will not hold for long. Through bolting is the best way.
2005 Cobalt 255
496 MAG HO
Lake Champlain, VT
jimmyr5
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by jimmyr5 »

I wish that was an option but I can't get to the back side. I'm not sure if a fine or course thread would be best??
skno
Commander
Commander

Post by skno »

Nice work! Use a little silicone when installing the screws to help lock it in. If it does come loose you can repeat the process with minimal effort.
FirstStar
Commander
Commander

Post by FirstStar »

It doesn't make sense that it would not be through bolted. There is a lot of force on those brackets. Sure you can't take some trim pieces off to access the back side?
2021 Cobalt R5 6.2 380