VP trim fuse burning out

Bobo87
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

VP trim fuse burning out

Post by Bobo87 »

I have a 5.0 liter v8 VP in my 2007 212 and the fuse for the trim keeps failing. It appears to only occur when to boat is on the water bearing driven for my mechanic cannot replicate the issue in the shop. On the trailer or at idler speed it functions fine but again during normal operation the fuse blows. It is a small 10 amp fuse of which I have purchased plenty due to this issue. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or have a suggestion on what could be causing this issue? I have had the boat for five years and this is a new issue. No recent changes to the anything electrical on the boat.
2007 212 5.0 GXi DP Volvo Penta
Tubing, Skiing, and all around boating fun!
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Re: VP trim fuse burning out

Post by stifflkd »

I am guessing the fuse you are referring to is the glass tube or blade type located near the helm? This one is between the trim switch and the relays that drive the trim pump. I can't explain why it would fail under load but it sounds like your tilt trim assy is fine. Does it fail trimming up or trimming down. Maybe one of the relays needs to be replaced.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Bobo87
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Bobo87 »

The fuse is a small red 10Amp blade in the fuse box on top of the motor. Since I start out in the down position it is failing when moving to the up position while planing off. Is there a way to test the relays or do you just replace them?
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

My guess is that the pump is drawing too many amps while running underway, blowing the fuse. If you are not the original owner, I would first check to make sure a 10A is the correct fuse.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Bobo87
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Bobo87 »

While I am not the original owner I have had the boat for 5 years and this is a new phenomenon. There have been no recent electrical changes and the 10amp fuse was confirmed by mechanic.
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
Bobo87
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Bobo87 »

Have an update to my question. The 10 amp fuse is blowing upon activation even when nothing else is running. Tried a 15amp fuse and same issue. However, when I put in a 20amp fuse I was able to get it to work. Kind of nervous to run that all the time. Any recommendations on why the lower amp fuses blow?
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
Bobo87
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Bobo87 »

Well after having mechanic try to replicate my issue, we still don’t know what the problem is. He spent two days solid looking for the issue but came up empty. Lucky for me I only had to pay for a new fuse and half hour of labor. Hoping to try it out this weekend now that the lake is back to normal levels assuming the rain doesn’t hinder plans. Will keep this post updated on progress.
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
bcromwell
Ensign
Ensign

Post by bcromwell »

Bobo87 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:35 pm Have an update to my question. The 10 amp fuse is blowing upon activation even when nothing else is running. Tried a 15amp fuse and same issue. However, when I put in a 20amp fuse I was able to get it to work. Kind of nervous to run that all the time. Any recommendations on why the lower amp fuses blow?
This is a really good way to burn your boat to the ground, er bottom of the lake. If it's blowing the fuse at 10 amps that mean the either a device on the circuit is drawing to much current like a motor with a bad winding or the wire has additional resistance due to corrosion or physical damage.
Putting in a 20 amp fuse on a wire rated for 10 amp will eventually turn the wire into a make shift light bulb and start something on fire.

You need to find someone familiar with properly diagnosing electrical circuits.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

That fuse is only for the wires that go through the trim switch. That fuse does not supply the power to the motor itself. Those are the wires which control the coils in the up and down relays.

It likely only blows in either the up or down operation but not both. You should determine which direction the fuse blows in and then trace that wire. It should be green or blue(you can look at the connector next to the relays to be sure). The red wire is the 12V wire.

Just to eliminate the possibility that it's the relays, pull the up and down relays and then operate the switch and see if the fuse blows.

One common thing that can cause a short are wires laying next to the exhaust pipe. If they do lay on it, the insulation can melt and will cause a short. Make sure no wires are on the exhaust.

Another common area is in the throttle/shift control itself. Very easy for those trim wires to get pinched in there.
trimvolvo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

bruceb58 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:14 am That fuse is only for the wires that go through the trim switch. That fuse does not supply the power to the motor itself. Those are the wires which control the coils in the up and down relays.

It likely only blows in either the up or down operation but not both. You should determine which direction the fuse blows in and then trace that wire. It should be green or blue(you can look at the connector next to the relays to be sure). The red wire is the 12V wire.

Just to eliminate the possibility that it's the relays, pull the up and down relays and then operate the switch and see if the fuse blows.

One common thing that can cause a short are wires laying next to the exhaust pipe. If they do lay on it, the insulation can melt and will cause a short. Make sure no wires are on the exhaust.

Another common area is in the throttle/shift control itself. Very easy for those trim wires to get pinched in there.

trimvolvo.JPG
That's a great picture to put in the document section.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:39 am

That's a great picture to put in the document section.
Agreed.
Done.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Bobo87
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Bobo87 »

Thank you. Definitely a great layout.
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Nice find on the trim pump diagram.

Is this diagram for all Volvo Penta trim pumps, or is it specific to certain models or years?

Aslan, nice addition to the technical section. You might consider editing the post as being for VP only.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Titaniumboy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:26 pm Nice find on the trim pump diagram.

Is this diagram for all Volvo Penta trim pumps, or is it specific to certain models or years?

Aslan, nice addition to the technical section. You might consider editing the post as being for VP only.
The relays vary over the years....they were in a module and then separate relays. Basic function is the same.

In older Volvo models, the module had a circuit breaker for the control circuit instead of the fuse like newer ones have. Of course this module is hundreds of dollars and a holdover from OMC joint venture days.

One thing I do whenever I buy a boat or a car is I buy the factory service manual. Has all schematics in them.

This is an example of an older Volvo with the module style of relays.
trim old volvo.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Titaniumboy wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:26 pm

Good point. Thanks.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)