Trailer Recommendation

Auburnbuilder
Commander
Commander

Re: Trailer Recommendation

Post by Auburnbuilder »

Clearance to top of door opening is around 3". Very nice to launch and retrieve boat with the trailer.
Centers up on trailer every time when taking it out of the water. Super easy to trailer the boat.
I never leave boat in the water, always trailer it. Use it almost every weekend and some week days.
We live very close to several launch areas, about 3 miles to 2 of them and 15 to another.
Lake Champlain is really nice to boat on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt 255
496 MAG HO
Lake Champlain, VT
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Tuscany wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:15 am
dsthomas wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:13 am Tuscany that is a sweet set up…. and nice truck!!! Sounds like you know your stuff. However :) I think I benefit from three axles on my trailer. My R8S is heavy enough to transfer the needed weight to the tongue so I have had no issues with sway. I also like knowing I have two tires vs one to stabilize my trailer when/if I lose one from a blow out. Boatmate also fitted all three axles with brakes, so all 9,300 pounds stops on a dime.

I do agree with you that it would probably cause more problems than its worth on too short a trailer and too light of a boat, but I think my trailer is long enough and my boat is heavy enough to warrant it, so to my way of thinking it’s just extra safety features.
You know, you only live once. Your set up is awesome, and looks the part!
Thanks Tuscany... we have the same truck... Mines black.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Pics, …..or it didn’t happen…🤣
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Her you go....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Gotta LOVE…Those Ford diesels!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Amhochb
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Amhochb »

I know this is an older post but I just picked up a 2007 200 that has a new venture aluminum trailer under it. I like the fact that its new and hasn't been "abused" but I'm not entirely sure I'd spring the coin for one. And in my opinion, it doesn't look as good as a nice painted "cobalt" trailer
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

I have been talking with Megan at Loadmaster over the past couple of days to quote out a new trailer.

All looks great. I just have to decide if I want torsion axles or leaf springs and drum or disc brakes. Megan recommends the drum and leaf combo and it is less expensive.

Unfortunately, it is about 2000 miles for delivery and that will add about 4k to the cost. Is anyone coming from Ohio to Arizona this spring?
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

Have you looked into a place like Freight Quote? I've heard of others having good success finding fair prices on that site. $4k sounds steep to me. Then again, 2,000 miles is a long way, and an empty trailer takes up a lot of usable space that could otherwise be used to ship a much more valuable load.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I would do torsion and disc. I'll never go back to a noisy leaf spring.
But hey I'll bring it to you for that. I need a vac then anyways. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Trailer Recommendatio

Post by Tuscany »

JMO,
Personally, I’ve never been a fan of torsion. I have four trailers with torsion axles. 26’ and 12’ box, a 24’ commercial deck over and a snowmobile trailer.
They do offer positives, and run the trailer height a little lower.

My main issue? Torsion axles do not equalize axle weigh like springs. Torsions are not recommended for tri-axles because of that reason. You need to tow the trailer completely level. As soon as you are slightly off level, the weight will transfer directly onto one axle. There are ALWAYS one set of tires that wear out first. Also, they bounce too much on the highway. None of these are an issue with springs.

I think I would stay away from drums on a boat trailer that gets submerged. Stick with disc. More expensive yes, but ZERO maintenance.
Also, think about renting a pick up and take a road trip!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Heck for 4K I would drive from MN to Ohio then to Arizona just for the fun of it! Stick with springs instead of torsion. Cheaper and easier to repair if you ever do have trouble. Also as Tuscany said trailers with torsion axles must be pulled level as the don’t equalize the load. I went with electric brakes with drums for the simple reason that they are cheap and easy to maintain, plus my trailer will never be in salt water.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:55 pm JMO,
Personally, I’ve never been a fan of torsion. I have four trailers with torsion axles. 26’ and 12’ box, a 24’ commercial deck over and a snowmobile trailer.

My main issue? Torsion axles do not equalize axle weigh like springs. Torsions are not recommended for tri-axles because of that reason. You need to tow the trailer completely level. As soon as you are slightly off level, the weight will transfer directly onto one axle. There are ALWAYS one set of tires that wear out first. Also, they bounce too much on the highway. None of these are an issue with springs.

I think I would stay away from drums on a boat trailer that gets submerged. Stick with disc. More expensive yes, but ZERO maintenance.
Totally agree. People seems to think they travel smoother for some reason. I sure can't tell the difference.

And then there are the physics:
https://mechanicalelements.com/torsion- ... or-triple/
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:55 pm JMO,

Totally agree. People seems to think they travel smoother for some reason. I sure can't tell the difference.

I use greaseable shackle bolts on my travel trailer with leaf springs. Just as quiet as a torsion axle,

And then there are the physics:
https://mechanicalelements.com/torsion- ... or-triple/
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Torsion axles are just TOUGH on tires in tandem. A killer on tri-axles.. My old cheap junk shorelinr trailer that came with my old boat would squeak and creak over every road..
Never a sound out of the spring set Loadmaster uses, most likely because there is no frame flex using C channel.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Sorry I'm still on the torsion band wagon. I have had zero for issues the last 5 years on this trailer and my last trailer under my 200 wasted the frt tires from here to TRL and back. Sorry I hate noisy springs.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!