Trailer Recommendation

dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Re: Trailer Recommendation

Post by dsthomas »

Snowman I ordered mine with three axles because I like the looks of it. To me an r7 or an r8 sitting on two axles jut looks funky. It is more expensive to maintain, but man she tows nice and tracks perfectly. I know two heavier axles accomplish the same thing. But life is short, if you have the means get what you like. The salesman at my dealer (who is friend) said the same thing, “let’s see how cool it looks when it comes time to replace those tires”. Ha ha!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

dustinm wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:48 am Why are guys guys going to stop by Menards and get a load of sheetrock in your boat on the way home?
No sheet rock in boat bud. I just like knowing I can fill it with 500 lbs of gas and not meet or exceed the payload... that's only equal to 5 sheets of drywall. ;) :P
Kansas City, MO
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

No sheet rock in my boat either. I have the capacity to tow my R5 with a R3 on top of it though. Maybe I’m on to something... Loadmaster does make double decker trailers too!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Snowman8 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:30 pm No sheet rock in my boat either. I have the capacity to tow my R5 with a R3 on top of it though. Maybe I’m on to something... Loadmaster does make double decker trailers too!

But EzLoader makes a triple decker!
The third is for the drywall 😂😂😂
Frecken dusty!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I will say I've gone "up north" with the family and a dog in the tow vehicle, which means a lot of the luggage for the week ends up in the boat while it's towed. The rear open cabin lines up pretty well with the double axles on our trailer, so it's worked ok for us.

BTW, we have an EZ Loader, which I like, but it's the first really "modern" trailer I've had. I'm sure Heritage, Eagle, and similar brands are also very good, and Loadmaster would be on my short list if I were ordering from scratch.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

IMO, and due respect..
Personally I would not recommend three axles unless you are absolutely positively need them to carry a 30’, 10K and up boat. Three axles on a short trailer can really mess with necessary tongue weight if the boat isn’t long or heavy enough to transfer the weight to the hitch and makes for a squirrly tow.
Also tough on tires and twists suspension when turning tight, and really not necessary on a light boat unless you want a certain look. Two more tires that could go flat, and definitely extra drag. That’s why semi trucks run two trailer axles unless weight bridge laws make it necessary to run a spread.
My Loadmaster on 16” HD tires is rated to carry over 12,000 lbs. I could probably add another R7 on top…
IMO, As far as trailers, there is Loadmaster built from C channel structural steel with at least 9 cross members, and then all the rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:05 pm IMO, and due respect..
Personally I would not recommend three axles unless you are absolutely positively need them to carry a 30’, 10K and up boat. Three axles on a short trailer can really mess with necessary tongue weight if the boat isn’t long or heavy enough to transfer the weight to the hitch and makes for a squirrly tow.
Also tough on tires and twists suspension when turning tight, and really not necessary on a light boat unless you want a certain look. Two more tires that could go flat, and definitely extra drag. That’s why semi trucks run two trailer axles unless weight bridge laws make it necessary to run a spread.
My Loadmaster on 16” HD tires is rated to carry over 12,000 lbs. I could probably add another R7 on top…
IMO, As far as trailers, there is Loadmaster built from C channel structural steel with at least 9 cross members, and then all the rest.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:05 pm IMO, As far as trailers, there is Loadmaster built from C channel structural steel with at least 9 cross members, and then all the rest.
I mean, if you want to settle for a steel trailer ...

:lol:

- Mark, aluminum trailer
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Tuscany that is a sweet set up…. and nice truck!!! Sounds like you know your stuff. However :) I think I benefit from three axles on my trailer. My R8S is heavy enough to transfer the needed weight to the tongue so I have had no issues with sway. I also like knowing I have two tires vs one to stabilize my trailer when/if I lose one from a blow out. Boatmate also fitted all three axles with brakes, so all 9,300 pounds stops on a dime.

I do agree with you that it would probably cause more problems than its worth on too short a trailer and too light of a boat, but I think my trailer is long enough and my boat is heavy enough to warrant it, so to my way of thinking it’s just extra safety features.
Kansas City, MO
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Tuscany wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:05 pm IMO, and due respect..
Did you get out of selling meat and switch to boat trailers?
I'm sold.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

LOL, nope, still in the food business. But I do have a little towing experience from my younger days.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

mdadgar wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:29 pm
Tuscany wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:05 pm IMO, As far as trailers, there is Loadmaster built from C channel structural steel with at least 9 cross members, and then all the rest.
I mean, if you want to settle for a steel trailer ...

:lol:

- Mark, aluminum trailer
Unless you are loading in salt, I’d rather not deal with the eventual weld cracks.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

dsthomas wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:13 am Tuscany that is a sweet set up…. and nice truck!!! Sounds like you know your stuff. However :) I think I benefit from three axles on my trailer. My R8S is heavy enough to transfer the needed weight to the tongue so I have had no issues with sway. I also like knowing I have two tires vs one to stabilize my trailer when/if I lose one from a blow out. Boatmate also fitted all three axles with breaks, so all 9,300 pounds stops on a dime.

I do agree with you that it would probably cause more problems than its worth on too short a trailer and too light of a boat, but I think my trailer is long enough and my boat is heavy enough to warrant it, so to my way of thinking it’s just extra safety features.
You know, you only live once. Your set up is awesome, and looks the part!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Auburnbuilder
Commander
Commander

Post by Auburnbuilder »

I had Loadmaster make a trailer for my 2005 Cobalt 255. It tows beautifully.
It has electric brakes, 2-6000lb torsion axles, reverse lights, and a removable tongue.
Boat weighs around 5000lbs with no fuel or gear. With trailers you definitely want significantly higher load capacity than load.
Bearings, brakes, tires and suspension will last much longer.
2005 Cobalt 255
496 MAG HO
Lake Champlain, VT
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Auburnbuilder wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:52 pm I had Loadmaster make a trailer for my 2005 Cobalt 255. It tows beautifully.
It has electric brakes, 2-6000lb torsion axles, reverse lights, and a removable tongue.
Boat weighs around 5000lbs with no fuel or gear. With trailers you definitely want significantly higher load capacity than load.
Bearings, brakes, tires and suspension will last much longer.
Nice storage space. Looks close to hitting the top frame. How much clearance?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)