Ballast errors on R8 Surf

2018R7Surf
Commander
Commander

Ballast errors on R8 Surf

Post by 2018R7Surf »

Did anyone get ballast errors on their R8 surf? I can fill the tanks but it takes hitting the fill buttons multiple times. I also randomly get the error when I’m not even surfing.
Four Winn 190 (sold)
Mastercraft maristar 210 (sold)
Four Winn 210 (sold)
Cobalt 210 (sold)
Cobalt R5 (sold)
Cobalt R7 Surf (sold)
Harris 230 (sold)
Yamaha VX Cruiser HO (2)
Bennington 23SSBXP
Cobalt R8 Surf
boydster2
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Ballast errors on R8 Surf

Post by boydster2 »

I have an R6, but expect the computers are the same. I don't get an error message, but I have had a couple problems with the surf screen. The most common error is that when I tap on the fill buttons, nothing happens. When I tap on the surf left or right buttons, they quickly depress, so I know the computer got the input, but then depress and do nothing. To fix it I sometimes turn the entire boat off and then back on (seriously). Other times, I drive for 15 minutes and then it works. Pretty annoying.

I've also occasionally gotten an error message saying there's something wrong with the starboard surf gate. The check surf light on the dash will blink. I've had that happen twice, and I ignored it both times and the boat surfed fine, and the next time I rebooted it worked.

I'm pretty sure these are all software errors. Nothing seems to be wrong with any of the pumps or actuators. Cobalt dealer has looked at it and never been able to reproduce it as it happens about 1 in 20 times.
tfarmer
Commander
Commander

Post by tfarmer »

I will occasionally have the “check surf system” red button light up as well. Similar stats. About 1-20 times. I have to turn the boat off and restart. A couple of times the only remedy was turning the batteries off. I haven’t reported the problem yet to the dealer as I also suspect this will be extremely hard to troubleshoot. I will be curious to hear is anyone comes up with a fix.
2021 R6 Surf, VP 380, Pacific Blue and Ebony.
(former) 2019 R5, Volvo 350, ebony hull w/pacific blue stripe.
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

We haven't seen any erors per se but we do notice that our port tank doesn't stay full.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
jlake02
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jlake02 »

Did you recently get the Volvo Penta software upgrade (that was described in a letter sent in the mail)?

Well, I did.. and this apparently messed with the surf software in my R8S.

Luckily, after I contacted the dealer they got it fixed same week but it's something to be aware of.

Here are the errors I was getting:

2018R7Surf
Commander
Commander

Post by 2018R7Surf »

Exactly what I am getting! So do the software update?
Four Winn 190 (sold)
Four Winn 210 (sold)
Cobalt 210 (sold)
Cobalt R5 (sold)
Cobalt R7 Surf (sold)
Harris 230 (sold)
Yamaha VX Cruiser HO (2)
Bennington 23SSBXP
Cobalt R8 Surf
jlake02
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jlake02 »

2018R7Surf wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:02 am Exactly what I am getting! So do the software update?
Yes, I'd mention to your dealer that you heard the Volvo Penta software update results in Surf software issues. I believe they need to reinstall the Surf software, but they should know the solution.
2018R7Surf
Commander
Commander

Post by 2018R7Surf »

Thank you....at times I think this forum provides more info than the dealers - amazing.
Four Winn 190 (sold)
Four Winn 210 (sold)
Cobalt 210 (sold)
Cobalt R5 (sold)
Cobalt R7 Surf (sold)
Harris 230 (sold)
Yamaha VX Cruiser HO (2)
Bennington 23SSBXP
Cobalt R8 Surf
SweetWater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SweetWater »

Same with our new 2022 R8 Surf (approx 50 hours). I've found "Blinking Red Light" can mean as simple as 1 ballast pump not turning on to faults in the surf gates. I have started surfing (Regular Foot) and seen the starboard gate not deploy. Typically either a key off, or sometimes a Hard Reset battery turn off/on, fixes the issue. Won't be back at dealer for a month or so, and they seem to think software update cures most, but are not sure yet. Any input on software update would be appreciated.

Have noticed the ballasts keep a good amount of water in them after indicating empty, dealer also had no answer yet. I have been draining for "minutes" while boat on incline from launch ramp.