Winterization Gen 5 Volvo Penta

Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Winterization Gen 5 Volvo Penta

Post by Titaniumboy »

Do you know the sizes of the barb end and the flare end?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

I bought a new fuel line to stick on the end of the barbed end and if I remember correctly it was 3/8" ID. No idea on the other dimensions.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

I wonder if this is an equivalent?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-8-HOSE-ID-TO ... ect=mobile

3/8 HOSE ID TO 3/8 45° FEMALE SAE FLARE BRASS SWIVEL CONNECTOR FUEL/AIR/WOG

BRASS HOSE BARB
BRASS FEMALE 45º FLARE SWIVEL
3/8" Hose ID x 3/8" 45° SAE Brass Swivel Barb Connector
150 PSI maximum working pressure
-40° to 160° Temperature Rating
Backed by EDGE Industrial full manufacturers warranty
NOT DEEMED LEAD FREE. NOT FOR POTABLE WATER

026DC9ED-AF10-4763-9EB2-8900909E5FE1.jpeg

Or maybe this one?
https://www.suremarineservice.com/Hardw ... T-096.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

This is the same swivel fitting as shown in the eBay listing from the previous post, but this is in stock at Amazon. If it is the correct fitting, you could have it by Friday.

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-INDUSTRIAL- ... 55XS9&th=1
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
FirstStar
Commander
Commander

Post by FirstStar »

The manual says to replace both bellows every other year. That seems excessive... doesn't it?
2021 Cobalt R5 6.2 380
Bitburg90
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Bitburg90 »

Check out this response I received from Volvo Penta a few weeks ago regarding the Easy Drain system. I asked them how to purchase the maintenance manual that shows how to winterize the engine by running marine antifreeze through the raw water system. That's how the dealer winterized my engine last Fall.

Here in Georgia it would be nice to use the boat on the warmer winter days, and just Easy Drain it prior to the freezing days. Anyone have experience with using Easy Drain during the winter? Thanks
Volvo Penta Response.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2021 R6
Volvo V8-350
Lake Allatoona, GA
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

FirstStar wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:02 pm The manual says to replace both bellows every other year. That seems excessive... doesn't it?
The maintenance schedule I posted for my R6 in the first page of this thread shows every 48 months for the bellows.
2022 R6
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

Bitburg90 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:00 pm Check out this response I received from Volvo Penta a few weeks ago regarding the Easy Drain system. I asked them how to purchase the maintenance manual that shows how to winterize the engine by running marine antifreeze through the raw water system. That's how the dealer winterized my engine last Fall.

Here in Georgia it would be nice to use the boat on the warmer winter days, and just Easy Drain it prior to the freezing days. Anyone have experience with using Easy Drain during the winter? Thanks

Volvo Penta Response.jpg
Love this post Bitburg90. I spoke with two different authorized Volvo dealers about winterization and BOTH said they run antifreeze "per manufacturer recommendations" AND "just to be safe" for a cost of $300. Saved me $300 being knowledgeable about my own boat.

I've read many say they use the dealer for peace of mind, but it's not peace of mind. It's out of sight, out of mind because they are obviously over charging people claiming it's the manufacturers recommendations. You know they are paying kids $15/hr to do all the services and who knows if they forget something.

Even if it does freeze, good luck trying to get them to repair your cracked block for free just because they did the winterization.
2022 R6
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

The ID of your fuel line should be stamped somewhere on it - most are 3/8". OD does not matter for this, I went to NAPA and bought a few feet of basic rubber fuel line @ $3/ft - for the 5min a year you will use it, does not have to be anything special. As far as antifreeze, I always filled my Mercruiser with antifreeze, probably not necessary, but made me feel good - I don't plan on doing that with the Volvo.
One thing I am having the dealer do at least this year is the drive service - pull, inspect, check alignment and change gear lube. I will buy the prop removal tool and start at least doing the fluid changes myself -- pulling the drive every year is over kill I think, especially on a dry stored boat. My dealer is at a working marina and seems to be just fine with me DIY my service, they are happy to do as little or as much as I want them too.

The routine services (oil change, outdrive gear lube, fuel filter, impeller, winterization) are very easy items to DIY - some people do them to save money, others because they like to and some just are not interested and pay to have it done - regardless, everyone who owns a boat should know enough about this stuff to be able to verify that it has been done and done correctly. If you have every seen a motor spewing oil out of the intake like a chocolate milkshake you know the cold hard truth about proper winterization.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

drtbar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:48 am
Bitburg90 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:00 pm Check out this response I received from Volvo Penta a few weeks ago regarding the Easy Drain system. I asked them how to purchase the maintenance manual that shows how to winterize the engine by running marine antifreeze through the raw water system. That's how the dealer winterized my engine last Fall.

Volvo Penta Response.jpg
Love this post Bitburg90. I spoke with two different authorized Volvo dealers about winterization and BOTH said they run antifreeze "per manufacturer recommendations" AND "just to be safe" for a cost of $300. Saved me $300 being knowledgeable about my own boat.

I've read many say they use the dealer for peace of mind, but it's not peace of mind. It's out of sight, out of mind because they are obviously over charging people claiming it's the manufacturers recommendations. You know they are paying kids $15/hr to do all the services and who knows if they forget something.

Even if it does freeze, good luck trying to get them to repair your cracked block for free just because they did the winterization.
I won't have my dealer come any where near my boat unless its a warranty claim.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
FirstStar
Commander
Commander

Post by FirstStar »

drtbar wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:28 am
FirstStar wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:02 pm The manual says to replace both bellows every other year. That seems excessive... doesn't it?
The maintenance schedule I posted for my R6 in the first page of this thread shows every 48 months for the bellows.
The DP lower unit manual I have indicates the replacement of both bellows when removing the outdrive to inspect the u-joint and lube the splines. Probably makes sense if you already have it out. Mine is just 2 years old and doesn't sit in the water so I think I may push that for another year. Thanks for the great info!
2021 Cobalt R5 6.2 380
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

Volvo Penta Response.jpg
Where can I get a copy of the operators manual that the rep is referencing "Page 58, step 4". All the manuals I have are prior to 2017 and they don't mention the easy drain system.
2022 R6 VP350 Ebony/Frost/White
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Go to this site and enter your engines SN.
I have a 2021 R5 V8 350. and mine was published in 09-2020

https://www.volvopenta.com/en-us/servic ... handbooks/
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:11 pm Go to this site and enter your engines SN.
I have a 2021 R5 V8 350. and mine was published in 09-2020

https://www.volvopenta.com/en-us/servic ... handbooks/
Yeah - that's the site I've been using. These are my options. What's odd is it list my engine as V8-350-CE-R... Don't know what the R stands for, but I thought it should be V8-350-CE-DP (for dual prop).
2022 R6 VP350 Ebony/Frost/White
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

The -R is the revision mine is V8-350-CE-N but it was built in late 2020. What is stated on the sticker near the oil dip stick
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"