Trim Sending Switch 1996 190 Volvo Penra Cobra SX

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Edpmiller
Ensign
Ensign

Trim Sending Switch 1996 190 Volvo Penra Cobra SX

Post by Edpmiller »

I am replacing the trim sending switch on my 1996, 190 with a Volvo Penta Cobra SX outdrive. I have removed the outdrive and located the switch and wires. My question is; how do I remove the rubber gasket retaining clip that is on the inside of the transom? It is a spring clip but I cannot physically reach it because the engine is in the way. The is no way to reach it with a tool or pick either because of it’s location behind the engine, much less get a new clip on if I could ever get the original one off. I would really like to know how Cobalt instructs this repair to the mechanics.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trim Sending Switch 1996 190 Volvo Penra Cobra SX

Post by bruceb58 »

Some people just snip the wires near the old sending unit and use waterproof butt crimp heat shrink connectors. I know that a kludge way to do it but if the wires are in good shape, that is an option
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey Edp. So glad you found us.

That’s a tough situation. I’d go the wire splicing route as well.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Edpmiller
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Edpmiller »

I can get my camera in there and snap pictures of the clip but since I cannot actually see it there is now way to get to get a tool on the clip to remove it.

I thought about the splice but I hate to cut wires on a $185 OEM part when the old wires and connections could be old and weak in other areas as 25 year old wires tend to do. Just not a good repair situation. Again would love to know what Cobalt advised mechanics on the official repair.