R6 dash lights

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
rcbugs
Ensign
Ensign

R6 dash lights

Post by rcbugs »

R6stdInt_15449.jpg
Just got this boat and wondering if the description of what each button does is suppose to light up and if so is there a dimmer knob somewhere I'm not finding? Mine are not lighting up. Any help is much appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitburg90
Ensign
Ensign

Re: R6 dash lights

Post by Bitburg90 »

My R6 dash lights only illuminate when one of the lighting buttons is activated but I can't remember which function illuminates all the buttons. Next time I go out at night I'll pay more attention and let you know. I have never seen a dimmer switch for the dash buttons. However, you can dim the Garmin displays for night use.
2021 R6
Volvo V8-350
Lake Allatoona, GA
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

If I remember correctly on my R8 if the nav lights button is pushed then that lights up the descriptions above the buttons. I don't know about dimming them.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Ditto. All the labels should illuminate when the NAV light is ON. It appears they are on the left side but not sure what is going on with the right. Cobalt uses an optical wire on their latter models (at least for their odd R's) which shines light through the rear of the dash. There is one module for the left and another for the right. If this is the issue you may need to replace the entire switch panel. Ask me how I know :(
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

The wire and inverter can be switched out separately from the panel (at least on the "odd" R's). I know this because I've replaced one side or the other five (!!!) times. I'm guessing Cobalt is still using the same supplier. I now work directly with the supplier because Cobalt doesn't seem to care about the high failure rate (at least in my case).
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us rcb...

Hope those posts answered your question.

Any exterior boat pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

You would think my dealer would know this. I have an 2021 R5 and my dealer said they needed to replace the panel. They sent out for a new left panel only to find out that Cobalt sent the right panel instead. I waited 3 months for the first to finally come in now I have to wait another 3 months or more for the correct one to arrive. Too late to ask to just get the module. They broke off one of the studs the first time. Maybe that is why they ordered the entire panel. Can you share the supplier because like you I am sure it will happen again.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
rcbugs
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rcbugs »

First of all thank you guys so much for the responses. Mine is a 2021, had it a week and truly love it. I haven’t even had time to change the numbers on the outside yet. It says Alabama but I’m in Tennessee, no matter.
We were out at night and I had the Nav lights on but I found myself pulling my phone out to use the flash light to see what button is what. The blue ring around the button comes but the description above each button was totally dark. That seemed mighty odd to me and thought maybe there’s a switch or knob or something that has turned that off or dimmed it.
Thank you for the Welcome. RC
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Sounds like your light modules failed. Odd that both are out unless the R6 has only one since you have one complete panel assy where the R5 has two. But as said earlier this is a known problem and you think that Cobalt would have addressed it by now.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

stifflkd wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:18 pm You would think my dealer would know this. I have an 2021 R5 and my dealer said they needed to replace the panel. They sent out for a new left panel only to find out that Cobalt sent the right panel instead. I waited 3 months for the first to finally come in now I have to wait another 3 months or more for the correct one to arrive. Too late to ask to just get the module. They broke off one of the studs the first time. Maybe that is why they ordered the entire panel. Can you share the supplier because like you I am sure it will happen again.
Sorry for the delayed response. Here's a link:
http://www.techliteinverters.com/home-page/ifw-3318-1r/
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Thanks,
I think I will be needing this once the warranty expires. My dealer insists that when this issue occurs they need to replace the entire panel which sounds insane. I am sure they do not have panels in stock and are most likely made to order.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
BHD
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by BHD »

I have a 2021 R6 Surf and I am currently waiting for the dealer to get the parts to fix the dash button label backlight. I found this on YouTube.
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

Basically exactly how I've replaced mine now (several times). Only difference is I found it was easier to pull the panel completely out of the boat and work on it on the bench. You can reuse the foil tape if you're careful (or grab some at your local hardware).

I'm guessing there are A LOT of these units that are inop out in the field. Many don't use their boats at night and would never notice. I'm not sure if the inverters dislike the marine environment, vibration, or what. But it's clearly a problem.
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
rcbugs
Ensign
Ensign

Post by rcbugs »

WOW this so very helpful. Thank you guys
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Best to buy a ton of these modules before your warranty runs out. Amazing. You buy a $200K boat and they opt to go with some fly by night outfit. More amazing is Cobalt knows of the problem and has chosen to do nothing about it for almost 10 years
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"