Acetone

Kate
Captain
Captain

Acetone

Post by Kate »

Anybody else have experience using acetone (100%) to clean the exterior?

Just used it to clean rub rails and heavily oxidized paint. Washed it off after, then applied a coat of wax. The result is amazing.

There are various caveats and usage warnings. But that process was a lot easier and less tedious than either compound or wet sanding.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Acetone

Post by Titaniumboy »

I’ve heard of using acetone on rub rails and also to remove the plastic scuff marks from docks, but had not heard of using it on heavily oxidized paint. How is it holding up so far? Any Before and After pictures?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"How is it holding up so far?"

Perfect. Washed it off, then waxed. Acetone evaporates quickly, so you have to work fast. Very little rubbing required.

"Any Before and After pictures?"

Sorry, no. But now I can see reflections everywhere.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Now you have me intrigued. Is this something you heard about elsewhere or did you discover it yourself?

What do you think is going on? Is the acetone dissolving the oxidation layer, or is something else happening?

So you wet your rag with acetone and just wipe it across the gelcoat?
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Is this something you heard about elsewhere or did you discover it yourself?"

Was told of it by a former boat detailer. Tried it on a test patch. Now about finished with the entire boat. There are various caveats, e.g., be careful when using it on pinstripes. Don't use the same rag on two different colors. It has to be 100% acetone, not nail polish remover. About $20/gl.

"Is the acetone dissolving the oxidation layer . . ."

Given what I can see on the oxidized sections and rags, I assume the acetone is dissolving the oxidation and other ugly marks. (I am not, though, a chemist.) The junk loosens and sort of curdles. Paint/gel coat removal is actually less than the compounds I tried, and far less than wet sanding.

"So you wet your rag with acetone and just wipe it across the gelcoat?"

Depends on how heavy the oxidation, the size of the area, and whether I'm worried about colors bleeding into other colors. I pour the acetone into a spray bottle and wear rubber gloves. (That stuff can get cold. But it's nothing like working with muriatic acid.) For bad/large areas, I spray the acetone directly on the surface (about 1 sq. ft.), then simply wipe. For other areas (e.g., rub rails), I spray on the rag, then wipe. (The rags are toast afterwards.)

As I mentioned, it is important to rinse after the acetone treatment. I acetone a large section, then spray with a household cleaner and wipe with a clean, damp sponge, then wipe dry. Last step: Wax to prevent the nasty stuff from returning.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Thanks for the detailed info on your acetone treatment. It sounds very time and cost effective.

We need moar pictures.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA