Wrapped!

DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Wrapped!

Post by DEcosse »

Got my wrap done this morning - actually about a week later than I ought to have done as we had quite a bit of rain this last week.
So the carpets ended up getting wet again! The covers were soaked even though it didn't rain last night, just from the dew! Removed them and they're drying out in the basement with heaters and de-humidifier after squee-geeing most of the water out on the driveway. One of my neighbors actually gave me a home size De-H that he said I could have - a bit too big for the boat and would have no control over, but graciously accepted and gave him a bottle of Single Malt for payment in kind. So it has come in handy doing duty down there (and it's certainly doing a great job!!)
Fortunately Tentacle Wrap were able to accommodate me at short notice and we had a nice fair window today to get it done. They were really efficient and did a great job - peace of mind now!
They added a zipper access at the pass-through, just in case I need to get in there - but hopefully not!

20221029_103256_resized.jpg

I bought a new De-Humidifier - a bit more than was probably necessary, but what I liked about this one (Midea) is it has Smart Control, so can change the settings or turn it on/off as desired from my phone from anywhere! And it does cycle to a set-point and then turn off and back on as necessary.
Currently as you can see from the App screenshot, it's 82% outside and 42% inside with a 40% set-point - I'll see how it looks tomorrow but I may raise the setpoint a few % just to get it cycling if it won't drop below the magic threshold. It has capability to set 35% but not sure it would ever get there. Interestingly while he was still working on the cover it was dropping like a rock and was getting ready to nudge 40 until he cut the vents in! If/When we get a freeze, I'll probably turn it off until temp is at least 40. It also has desiccants inside as well as an airflow device.

Screenshot_20221029-161632_Midea Air.jpg

So while it's 42(ish) % in the cabin, it's about 86% in the Engine Bay - I have a Govee Transducer in there. And a Heater that will kick on if it drops below 40 deg. I was going to get another one for the cabin - but since the De-Humidifer reports at least the Humidity, didn't bother - temp would be nice for in there too just to see comparison with outside - the DeH should be kicking off some heat so it would be interesting to see how much it raises inside the canopy. For $35 I might just get one anyway, crack the zip enough to toss it onto one of the seats. :mrgreen:

Screenshot_20221029-161658_Govee Home.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Wrapped!

Post by Titaniumboy »

Looks like a nice job of wrapping. I’m curious about the cost of wrapping versus covered storage? I’m paying around $220 per month for rack storage in California. Very convenient as they do the launch and retrieval, but also annoying as the boat is an hour away.

Nice score on the free dehumidifier.

And a Heater that will kick on if it drops below 40 deg.
Why did you set the heater so high above 32 deg?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

The heater thermostat is factory set - not user adjustable - to cycle on at 40 & off at 46. I gather they have determined that is the optimal range for efficiency

I paid $659 incl tax - essentially it was $24/ft length not including the swim deck or winch; (which was about 3+ ft that is no added charge) that also included 8 vents (std incl) and also custom request added a zipper access panel (the latter which I think added $35 plus tax, but is incl in above total)
All of that was mobile service at my home; tentacle had offered a further discount if I could enlist multiples in the community; there was some interest but when it came down to it I just needed mine done before weather got bad.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Is the wrap reusable or is it a one-time use only? Aren’t wraps usually seen in places that get much colder than the Pacific Northwest? Just trying to wrap my head around wraps versus mooring covers for outside storage in moderate climates.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Well it rains here! a LOT! :cry:

So in spite of the canvas mooring covers, it just gets in and makes it really wet inside - we had our first serious rain in the week before I got it done. Even with the carpets out, I'd just rather not have that - breeding ground for mold too. I found the water was really flooding in at the joint between the bow cover and the main cover at the windshield. And there was a very large pool on top in the middle of the bow cover. oh - we might get some snow too (I just moved here at end of last year and had a pretty heavy snowfall - not prolonged like NE, but it was on the ground for 10-14 days. On mooring covers, that is just sitting there - with the wrap, it's going to slide off. Even without raining overnight, the morning of the wrap, when I removed the covers, they were soaked (and with the bow puddle) just from the dew.

If somewhat careful about removing, I could possibly re-use it at least once I guess - having seen the process, I think I could slit it from stern to the wake tower and remove it; then it would have to be re-seamed upon re-install.
It's certainly more affordable than off-site storage and I like the fact it's outside my door and can still check on it as need be. And even with offsite storage, you are still likely to be outside, even if 'covered' and somewhat exposed unless you have indoor which is seriously expensive.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Thanks for the good explanation. I have some friends in the Willamette Valley in Oregon that keep boats in indoor storage. The Willamette valley stretches from Portland to Eugene along I5 and sees serious rain also, along with a week or two of usually minor snowfall.

Was your mooring cover a one piece or two piece cover?
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Titaniumboy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:05 am Was your mooring cover a one piece or two piece cover?
Two - separate Bow cover and Rear cover.
I used to think that was a positive - not even sure why, not like I have ever just removed the main cover.
Having experienced that gap between them I would definitely prefer a one-piece cover I think (but haven't experienced that to know of any downsides there)
Incidentally I wasn't sure if the covers remained on before wrap - but they advised not. So I removed them, dried and stored.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Titaniumboy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:47 am Is the wrap reusable or is it a one-time use only? Aren’t wraps usually seen in places that get much colder than the Pacific Northwest? Just trying to wrap my head around wraps versus mooring covers for outside storage in moderate climates.
Whether moderate climate or not I would recommend a full winter cover either in a wrap or canvas. They cover from tower down to the waterline and from windlass to swim platform. They are a better option to cover the entire boat. I think if I was storing it inside I might opt for a mooring cover but if outside the winter cover protects against the elements. I purchased a winter canvas cover this year for my R5 that covers arch and swim platform with zippered access for $1,750 included tax. I should get 8-10 years out of it.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

Here's what's going on in my engine compartment with the heater cycling - it is 6.30 am and 34 outside right now!
I LOVE this little Govee device!

Screenshot_20221103-063925_Govee Home.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:47 am Whether moderate climate or not I would recommend a full winter cover either in a wrap or canvas. They cover from tower down to the waterline and from windlass to swim platform. They are a better option to cover the entire boat. I think if I was storing it inside I might opt for a mooring cover but if outside the winter cover protects against the elements. I purchased a winter canvas cover this year for my R5 that covers arch and swim platform with zippered access for $1,750 included tax. I should get 8-10 years out of it.
That is great information. I never realized that such a thing as a winter cover existed.

DEcosse wrote:I found the water was really flooding in at the joint between the bow cover and the main cover at the windshield. And there was a very large pool on top in the middle of the bow cover.
Did the large pool of water happen even with the adjustable pole?
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Titaniumboy wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:59 pm
stifflkd wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:47 am Whether moderate climate or not I would recommend a full winter cover either in a wrap or canvas. They cover from tower down to the waterline and from windlass to swim platform. They are a better option to cover the entire boat. I think if I was storing it inside I might opt for a mooring cover but if outside the winter cover protects against the elements. I purchased a winter canvas cover this year for my R5 that covers arch and swim platform with zippered access for $1,750 included tax. I should get 8-10 years out of it.
That is great information. I never realized that such a thing as a winter cover existed.

DEcosse wrote:I found the water was really flooding in at the joint between the bow cover and the main cover at the windshield. And there was a very large pool on top in the middle of the bow cover.
Did the large pool of water happen even with the adjustable pole?
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Now that is one serious cover.
Whiskey Slough Marina