VP Duoprop Outdrive Chatter / Rattle

billk2632
Captain
Captain

VP Duoprop Outdrive Chatter / Rattle

Post by billk2632 »

I have a 2014 R5 that I purchased in August - 225hrs. It has a DPS-B outdrive on it. The boat / engine etc perform flawlessly, however I have noticed an occasional rattle / chatter in neutral, usually after a longer run on plan - never at startup. It sounds like a manual transmission in a car would sound when in neutral with the clutch out - best way I can describe it is a rattle or chatter. Going into F or R it stops and returning to neutral it does not always make the sound, but enough that I have noticed it. Sound does not change when trimming up/down or turning side/side - not at all a gimbal or u-joint sound. From reading I have done, it sounds like this could be gear lash, which is apparently common on VPs. Anyone else experience this or familiar with what it might be. Previous owner had the boat serviced religiously, verified gear lube was changed yearly and the outdrive was pulled / inspected / alignment checked.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: VP Duoprop Outdrive Chatter / Rattle

Post by bruceb58 »

Pretty normal for these drives to have some rattle in neutral and no load. Had the exact same noise with my drive.

Post a video on muffs in neutral for us to listen to it.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

I have the same rattle. The mechanic says it is OK. I initially thought it was a u-joint or gimbal bearing, but those check out OK. The warmer it is, the more it does it.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes please post a vid of what your hearing. Thanks 👍
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

So sounds like what I am hear is gear lash and is normal - that's a relief - new boat new sounds, learning what is normal. My Mercruiser drives (Alpha, Bravo III) also had their own noises that were normal. I will try to get a video, but about to winterize the boat and will only be running it on the hose. I have never heard the noise when I first start it - only after it's been running and things are hot I guess, but I will video it regardless.

Thanks for the feedback.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

billk2632 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:26 am So sounds like what I am hear is gear lash and is normal - that's a relief - new boat new sounds, learning what is normal. My Mercruiser drives (Alpha, Bravo III) also had their own noises that were normal. I will try to get a video, but about to winterize the boat and will only be running it on the hose. I have never heard the noise when I first start it - only after it's been running and things are hot I guess, but I will video it regardless.

Thanks for the feedback.
Viscosity of the gear lube changes as it warms up.

Just make sure you are using Volvo gear lube or at least an equivalent of the same viscosity and type. I used to use Mobil 1 gear lube until they started adding limited slip additives...then I switched to only Volvo lube.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Yes, it's always had Volvo gear lube - previous owner had the dealer do all of the service and I have all the records. I am having the dealer do the drive service this year (Pulling the drive, inspect, check alignment etc, along with changing the gear lube). I could do all that with my Merc alpha, but the DPS is just too big and heavy for me. I do think will start only having them pull the drive every other year.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

billk2632 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:01 pm Yes, it's always had Volvo gear lube - previous owner had the dealer do all of the service and I have all the records. I am having the dealer do the drive service this year (Pulling the drive, inspect, check alignment etc, along with changing the gear lube). I could do all that with my Merc alpha, but the DPS is just too big and heavy for me. I do think will start only having them pull the drive every other year.
I made a drive stand. Makes it a one person job.
IMG_0729.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Yeah, I made a stand for my Merc Alpha. May do the same for the Volvo, I am at least going to get a prop removal tool so I can change the gear lube myself. This is my first year with the Cobalt and I still had the SeaRay to maintain until a couple of weeks ago, so decided to let the dealer do it this year. Dealer is on the water at Lake Norman and I am in dry their storage there so having them do the work is very easy. They are very accommodating and don't seem to mind people doing their own maintenance work - they have wash/work racks available. So this year I am doing everything myself except the outdrive. Heck, a few years ago I replaced the bellows on my Merc on one of the washracks.

That drive stand is a little nicer than my homemade one!

P1000203.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

billk2632 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:23 amThat drive stand is a little nicer than my homemade one!
Mine is homemade....just some metal I had hanging around and a jack and some wheels from harbor Freight.

The nice thing about it is that you can crank it up so that it can slide in perfectly....no lifting at all. It also breaks down so that it can all be stored flat against a wall.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Put boat away for winter today and got this video of it running -- it did not make the chatter I have been talking about -- seems to only do that when the boat has been run and the gear lube is good and warm. I just had the drive serviced, gear lube, pulled it, greased and inspected everything, found no issues. But anyhow, here is a video of it running.

bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Interesting you don't have more water/exhaust coming out the idle relief ports directly below the transom shield.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

bruceb58 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:56 pm Interesting you don't have more water/exhaust coming out the idle relief ports directly below the transom shield.
My first year with a VP and maybe someone else will speak up, but I don't think they have those ports like Mercruisers, at least I have not noticed them. They also have a full exhaust bellows, where the Merc BIII has an exhaust tube on many -- so other than what might leak from the bellows, most of the exhaust is directed out through the exhaust port above the prop like you see. It was running connected to the flush port on the engine - no need for muffs.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I don't get any out the center port like yours. So some years are different.
Also don't forget to put the blue cap back on that flush hose connector. The engine will tend to over heat.
A friend told me that 😂😂😂🔥

03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!