Deep cycle battery

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
tarachanowicz
Commander
Commander

Deep cycle battery

Post by tarachanowicz »

Boat is in storage can't check size of batteries
Anyone know the group size of the batteries in a 2014 220 that are put in from stock ? Group 24,27,31,or 34. Thanks.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Deep cycle battery

Post by bruceb58 »

More than likely a 24 but dealers install the batteries. Just so you know, a true deep cycle battery is never used to start an engine. They are either starting batteries or the RV/Marine which are hybrid batteries. They may say they may say deep cycle on the side but are not true deep cycle batteries.

When I bought my boat, I yanked out the size 24 series batteries and put in size 31 AGM batteries.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-agm ... _product_2
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
tarachanowicz
Commander
Commander

Post by tarachanowicz »

Thanks for the info
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

bruceb58 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:38 pm More than likely a 24 but dealers install the batteries. Just so you know, a true deep cycle battery is never used to start an engine. They are either starting batteries or the RV/Marine which are hybrid batteries. They may say they may say deep cycle on the side but are not true deep cycle batteries.

When I bought my boat, I yanked out the size 24 series batteries and put in size 31 AGM batteries.

I'm expecting to need to replace batteries soon. Still have the original batteries from 2019 when we purchased the boat.
I've hear to expect more than the four years my car battery lasts, but I don't want to get stranded.

What is the advantage of the battery you referenced?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Krob1114 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:58 am
bruceb58 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:38 pm More than likely a 24 but dealers install the batteries. Just so you know, a true deep cycle battery is never used to start an engine. They are either starting batteries or the RV/Marine which are hybrid batteries. They may say they may say deep cycle on the side but are not true deep cycle batteries.

I'm expecting to need to replace batteries soon. Still have the original batteries from 2019 when we purchased the boat.
I've hear to expect more than the four years my car battery lasts, but I don't want to get stranded.

What is the advantage of the battery you referenced?
Less self discharge. Our boat is at a dock with no power so that is important to us. They typically last longer. Less sulfation when left slightly discharged. Usually higher output since they have less internal resistance...also charge faster for the same reason. More durable in high vibration environments which really isn't an issue with boats.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Plastik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Plastik »

Literally just bought two batteries yesterday for our 2014 220. West Marine "Starting 1000", Group 24.

Last two were from 2017 and would no longer get her to turn over. Irritating AF project given weight, access, navigating into the trays...super angering project.
Plastik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Plastik »

Aside, I a bit naive here so bear with me: I can hook up just one battery to start her up, yes? I presume with two you simply get the peace of mind that you have a spare that the power regulator is will redirect charge to when it needs so both are ready to go all the time. But, if I chose to run with one, no real issue for starting up and operating, no?
Sam Adams
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Sam Adams »

I think it's wise to install both batteries, otherwise you'll have two loose wires hanging in the bilge / battery compartment that could make electrical contact.
1961 USS Long Beach CGN-9
2001 Cobalt 226
2012 Cobalt 220
2013 Cobalt 24 SD
2021 Regal 28 Express
2023 Cobalt R6