Advice on new R8 or R6

BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Advice on new R8 or R6

Post by BudtheThirsty »

Hello all,

We are looking at a new 2022 R8 and a new 2023 R6. Comparably equipped, both are 380hp with the Merc in the r8 and the VP in the r6. Both are plenty big enough for our Arkansas lakes and towing either occasionally won’t be an issue. The dealer before any negotiating is about $75k off the $250k sticker on the r8. The r6 is roughly the same price again before any negotiating. I believe the dealer would have more room still on the 2022 r8. I think I know the “best deal” here but just wanted to get some thoughts from folks who have made these decisions before. I’m fully confident either boat will meet our needs. Looking to get advice on negotiating further, things I can ask for that won’t result i the dealer thinking I’m not serious or unreasonable, etc. Also curious what type of cruising speed / top end I should expect with both. Looking forward to your input!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Advice on new R8 or R6

Post by sailor55330 »

Welcome-

I'm sure you'll get a lot of info and opinions here, but here's my .02. I haven't purchased new in several years, but I seem to remember that the group concensus was 30% off of list was considered achievable, but also, a pretty strong discount. This time a year ago, i doubt you could have gotten any discount. Can you clarify---are you saying that the R8 negotiated price is the same as the R6 MSRP? If so, then you would be getting a larger absolute dollar discount on the R8, but at the cost of a higher price tag. If you are comfortable with the cost of the R8, just remember, almost no one said, "I wish I had gotten the smaller boat". Both are great boats and the 380 is a proven performer in both platforms. Because of the hull design, you should see upper 40's and maybe crack low 50's in perfect conditions, but if you are looking to cruise all day long at that speed, make sure you know where you gas pumps are on the lake. Without knowing what the dealer has included in the price, it's hard to advise what to ask for. Can you provide the build spec sheet?

One thing to keep in mind is that these are big heavy boats when you yank them behind a vehicle. Many will say that the R8 is approaching 3/4 ton territory for any distance---(I'll stay out of that discussion).

Are you buying a custom build or off the floor? The dealer might be limited on what they can/will install. I think you could shoot for things like mooring covers, maybe upgraded trailer brakes, etc. Maybe first year's service/winterization?

Good luck and welcome
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

I will add a little different thing to think about here, in addition to what Sailor already said. You said short distance towing should be okay... would it make the difference in what your tow vehicle is though? What I mean is, would the R6 be a reasonable tow for short to long distances with the tow rig you have, and the R8 stretching the limits of that same vehicle? If you have to upgrade tow vehicles as well, that could very well make the difference in how much you use the boat and where, and how enjoyable your experiences are.

I wouldn't want to have to upgrade if I didn't need to. However if you already have a 3/4 or 1 ton truck of any given modern flavor, then my point is mute.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

BudtheThirsty wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:54 am Hello all,

We are looking at a new 2022 R8 and a new 2023 R6. Comparably equipped, both are 380hp with the Merc in the r8 and the VP in the r6. Both are plenty big enough for our Arkansas lakes and towing either occasionally won’t be an issue. The dealer before any negotiating is about $75k off the $250k sticker on the r8. The r6 is roughly the same price again before any negotiating. I believe the dealer would have more room still on the 2022 r8. I think I know the “best deal” here but just wanted to get some thoughts from folks who have made these decisions before. I’m fully confident either boat will meet our needs. Looking to get advice on negotiating further, things I can ask for that won’t result i the dealer thinking I’m not serious or unreasonable, etc. Also curious what type of cruising speed / top end I should expect with both. Looking forward to your input!
Hey BtT...so glad you found us and thanks for coming out of the woodwork.

Yes 30% off is the most I've seen while on the site. That number varied down to just about zero during Covid.

380 is the sweet spot on engines.

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BudtheThirsty »

Great feedback and on-site already. I’ll try to attach the sheets from the dealer. To clarify on the towing, I’ll only be towing the boat about 120 miles once maybe twice a year. I have a newer Ram 1500 set up pretty decent for towing and have access a 3/4 if I need it. I definitely won’t be running either boat hard, 35 is my happy place just like to know what can be expected.
BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BudtheThirsty »

Here’s the sheet for the R8, I posted the sheet for the r6 a few minutes ago.
BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BudtheThirsty »

R8 sheet
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Ok, if I am reading that right, that dealer will sell you an R8 for $3k less than an R6? That's a no brainer.... Assuming you are ok with the equipment list ( would be, other than I prefer the VP vs Merc, but that's because I know VP's), I would sign that deal all day long. It looks like the R8 is a 2022, but still new and the R6 is a 2023. WHen I bought my R3, I bought last year's model that had never been out of the showroom or started. Others may be able to give you more advice on the Merc vs VP debate. They seem very similarly equipped. I'd forgo the windlass on the R6 for the bigger boat any day. Electric arch on the R8 vs manual on the R6...

This is not a choice, this a gift.....If you don't take it, can I please have the dealer's name?

And yes, either boat should cruise at 35 all day long. Your 1/2 ton should pull the R6 with no issues. The R8 may be a little more "sporty" to tow, but for 120 miles, with a good trailer and brakes, you should be ok if it's only a few times a year. If you have access to a 3/4 ton as you mention, then it's a non factor.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Out of curiosity, are you financing with those terms? What is a typical interest rate on a new boat purchase? I know rates are high but dang..

I'd be shopping still if you're not paying cash or at least a majority in cash.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

I think I agree, I would go with the R8. Again would have to compare the options, but looks like the main difference is:

Windlass - No windlass on the R8
Head - The R8 has the porcelain head with sink.
Engine - R8 has the Merc and it is an 8.2 big block 430hp.
R6 is a 6.2 380hp - Volvo does not make a big block engine any longer.

The only negative I see with the R8 is no windlass - but not the end of the world, I would live with it.

Your getting @30% off the R8 list and @17% on the R6. Unless the R8 is pink and has a hole in it, I know what I would do.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I think I'd find look for better financing.
What lakes will you be using?
Is Futrell your dealer?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:35 pm Out of curiosity, are you financing with those terms? What is a typical interest rate on a new boat purchase? I know rates are high but dang..

I'd be shopping still if you're not paying cash or at least a majority in cash.
I agree, that's a pretty steep rate. Looks like they are giving a $7,500 discount for financing. I've had times where I've financed buying a vehicle to get a big discount on the front end, then I turned around a month later and paid the loan off. Just have to read the fine print and make sure there are no early payoff penalties or restrictions. Some times they tac fee's on for early pay off that out way the discount that they give you!
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
BudtheThirsty
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BudtheThirsty »

We are still thinking about financing. I would definitely put more than 20% down. As mentioned above when I buy vehicles I typically look for the lowest price to purchase and then either refinance immediately or pay off early. I wish I could pay cash for the entire amount boat but that's not something I want to do. Looking online it looks like 6% is the "prime" rate these days.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

What are the colors on the R8? That is somewhat important, for example before I bought my R5, I passed on a very nice 242 only because it was that maroon color that fades like crazy.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:35 pm I know rates are high but dang.
Guys - hate to say it but his rate of 8% really isnt terrible. Rates have skyrocketed over the past year+. Auto rates are in a similar range and they are always usually more than watercraft rates. This is just how it is right now and will be for quite some time is my guess. Better get used to it if your not already......or simply pay in cash.

I'd go R8 all day long. You will simply prefer the bigger boat over time. Regarding the windlass, I dont have one on my R7 and dont consider this in any way a problem. Frankly on my lake which is deep with lots of trees and such at the bottom a windlass is almost a detriment.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)