Squirrelly Depth Finder

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Kate
Captain
Captain

Squirrelly Depth Finder

Post by Kate »

I have a fairly new Hummingbird depth finder that's acting squirrelly: 5', then 105', then correct feet -- all in the blink of an eye, repeatedly. The transducer seems to be mounted properly.

Any thoughts? (And, no, BB. I do not need a new jet engine.)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Squirrelly Depth Finder

Post by sailor55330 »

I've seen this before- Does it happen after crossing through the wake of another boat or in very silty areas where the bottom might be stirred up? I've seen fine bubbles in the water or silt from the bottom cause wacky readings. Usually once you clear the area it settles down. Does any of that sound like when it's happening? Remember, the transducer basically bounces a signal off the bottom, so if there's enough surface area in the water, even bubbles, it can give a false reading. I used to get this all the time in Galveston bay after crossing behind a shrimp boat or crossing the ships channel. You would be in 40ft of water, then a cargo ship would go by and it would read 2-3 ft or less and then go right back to normal.

If it's doing it in places where you know the depth and turbidity to be a non factor, then it's either a bad transducer or cable.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Is it an external or internal transducer? Air may be interfering.
Back when we had a different boat with an external hummingbird transducer depth finder, a similar thing happened. I mounted it in a way which caused a slight aeration. Remounted it so it would not aerate and the problem went away.

On an internal thru the hull transducer, we had a similar issue as well. The anti freeze fluid had depleted. Fixed the issue, filled the cup and the problem went away.

Something to check anyway.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Does it happen after . . .?"

It happens everywhere and under all conditions, which makes me think there's something hinky with the device.

"If it's doing it in places where you know the depth and turbidity to be a non factor . . ."

Yes, but now you mention it, I'll triple check that.

Thanks for the input.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Is it an external or internal transducer?"

External.

"Remounted it so it would not aerate and the problem went away."

Did you remount the transducer or just change its angle? If remount, where to?

Mine's mounted about a foot to port of the outdrive. Now you've got me wondering if maybe prop wash is causing the aeration and thus the squirrelliness.

Thanks for the tips.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Kate wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:17 am "Is it an external or internal transducer?"

External.

"Remounted it so it would not aerate and the problem went away."

Did you remount the transducer or just change its angle? If remount, where to?

Mine's mounted about a foot to port of the outdrive. Now you've got me wondering if maybe prop wash is causing the aeration and thus the squirrelliness.

Thanks for the tips.
Yes we remounted it further to the starboard side and slightly higher on the transom to avoid “turbulent “ water. That did the trick.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

Thanks, A7. If I try that. I'll report back.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

sailor: "I've seen fine bubbles in the water or silt from the bottom cause wacky readings. Usually once you clear the area it settles down."

I just noticed that the squirrelly behavior is only at low speeds in shallow depths. Once at cruise in deep waters, it's operates fine. That sounds like the point you made, above.

That's particularly annoying since those shallow areas are where the depth finder is most important. Did you have a fix?
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Post a picture of your transducer mounting. We might be able to tell what is going on. Is there a strake on the hull that is directly in line with the transducer?

Ideally, you want to look at it while you are driving the boat at the offending speed but that is tough on a boat with a large swim step.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

b: Mounting is about an inch from bottom of transom; 4" to port from odrive housing. No strake in line. Ttab plate 4" to port of transducer. Could that plate cause bubble-interference at low speeds?

Thanks for your input.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Kate wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 10:01 am b: Mounting is about an inch from bottom of transom; 4" to port from odrive housing. No strake in line. Ttab plate 4" to port of transducer. Could that plate cause bubble-interference at low speeds?

Thanks for your input.
Does it behave differently with the tab up or down?

The entire bottom of the transducer needs to be in the water at all speeds. Do you think it is?

Does it behave this way with engine on just sitting in neutral? How about when the engine is off?

My next question is how you routed power to the head unit and how you routed the transducer cable. When I install the transducer, I make sure I run it away from other power wires.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

B:

Don't know, will check.

Good question. I'll check.

More good questions. Will check those, too.

My mechanic installed it. Would interference from other wires cause squirrelly behavior at low depths/speeds but not at deeper waters/high speeds?

Thanks for the excellent diagnostic check list.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Kate wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:09 am Would interference from other wires cause squirrelly behavior at low depths/speeds but not at deeper waters/high speeds?
Probably would have interference at all speeds.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
capn272
Commander
Commander

Post by capn272 »

My stock depth finder is going to find itself at the business end of a pair of wire cutters, probably today..
1998 272
502 Mag MPI + B1
Humongous trailer
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

c: May I borrow your wire cutters? What are you replacing it with?