262 Bravo 3

Nick20179
Ensign
Ensign

262 Bravo 3

Post by Nick20179 »

Hey all, first time posting here. I have some questions about possibilities in an issue I see with it bravo 3 drive. I have searched through the forum, but haven’t come across any that specifically answer what I’m looking for I guess.

Boat is a 2003 262 with the 8.1 Merc and bravo 3. winter of 2021, the gimbal ring, steering pin, seals, and bellows were all replaced with new. I bough it winter of 2022 from the guy who did the work. He used the JRmarine kit to perform the work done. I know this is not the 100% correct way, but if done correctly it works fine as it doesn’t sit in water and only ever seen fresh water.

To the issue I see. The drive has roughly 1.25” of play at the end of the drive out of water, side to side. I’ve checked all around the gimbal ring and the top pin turns with the ring tightly. Has zero play. So I feel like I can rule that out as a possibility of the play. In my mind, I want to remove that plate that was put on to cover the hole during the JRMarine kit and tighten the steering arm with the pinch nut. Is my thinking not correct? With already having this plate installed, it’s not a huge issue for me to remove, tighten nut, and reseal the plate. Thanks in advance for any input on this! I’ve got a few more weeks until I wanted to use the boat again, so I can get it in my barn and spend some time on it
Nick20179
Ensign
Ensign

Re: 262 Bravo 3

Post by Nick20179 »

To add to this, I have no issues while steering or wandering in the water. It will hold itself straight for miles while on plane. I cannot feel any play in the wheel either while in the water. If it was never pulled out, I don’t believe I would have had any idea about this.
Betz263
Ensign
Ensign

Re: 262 Bravo 3

Post by Betz263 »

Nick20179 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 4:45 pm To add to this, I have no issues while steering or wandering in the water. It will hold itself straight for miles while on plane. I cannot feel any play in the wheel either while in the water. If it was never pulled out, I don’t believe I would have had any idea about this.
Any conclusions to your issue.? I have the exact same thing with my drive play as well. It also looks to have had the plug kit repair also.