Does this trailer seem too small?

DFWdude
Commander
Commander

Does this trailer seem too small?

Post by DFWdude »

Looking at acquiring this boat, and there is only one pic of it on the trailer. After looking at it 100s of times, I just noticed that the trailer frame stops well short of the transom, and the bunks extend beyond that. It also seems like the trailer is too narrow for this boat?

Any comments on this particular setup? Looks ok? Looks sketchy?

Thanks
5EAEF60F-3282-4693-A8F3-C90C9E677514.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 272 w/ 8.1 VP GXi
DFWdude
Commander
Commander

Re: Does this trailer seem too small?

Post by DFWdude »

Just spoke to the trailer mfg. They used to build some trailers this way, but dont do it any more; the rear trailer cross member should be at the transom.
2005 272 w/ 8.1 VP GXi
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

DFWdude wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:06 am Just spoke to the trailer mfg. They used to build some trailers this way, but dont do it any more; the rear trailer cross member should be at the transom.
I would agree with that.

One thing I would do ASAP is bring this boat/trailer to a CAT scale and weigh it. Also weigh the tongue also on the CAT scale if you are able to disconnect the trailer or use a Sherline scale.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

It doesn't look a lot different than my current setup. Maybe my trailer frame goes back a bit further, but if it does, it isn't much. I bought this trailer new last year from the selling dealership, and have not had a single problem with mine to date. I have well over 2,000 miles on it in that year. From your picture, it looks similar to mine in that the bunks go all the way back to the transom, and that is what matters most. The frame of the trailer doesn't have to go back all the way to the ends of the bunk boards, if the are of sufficient size. On mine, the tires may be a little close to their capacity for my liking (I always like to get a heavier duty tire than needed) but they are doing good thus far. No concerns with how mine pulls down the road either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

NautiWeasel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:17 pm It doesn't look a lot different than my current setup. Maybe my trailer frame goes back a bit further, but if it does, it isn't much. I bought this trailer new last year from the selling dealership, and have not had a single problem with mine to date. I have well over 2,000 miles on it in that year. From your picture, it looks similar to mine in that the bunks go all the way back to the transom, and that is what matters most. The frame of the trailer doesn't have to go back all the way to the ends of the bunk boards, if the are of sufficient size. On mine, the tires may be a little close to their capacity for my liking (I always like to get a heavier duty tire than needed) but they are doing good thus far. No concerns with how mine pulls down the road either.
If your tires are close to capacity odds are good so are your axels. Manufacturer’s usually pair the tires to match the load carrying capacity of the axels.
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

Snowman8 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:49 pm
NautiWeasel wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:17 pm It doesn't look a lot different than my current setup. Maybe my trailer frame goes back a bit further, but if it does, it isn't much. I bought this trailer new last year from the selling dealership, and have not had a single problem with mine to date. I have well over 2,000 miles on it in that year. From your picture, it looks similar to mine in that the bunks go all the way back to the transom, and that is what matters most. The frame of the trailer doesn't have to go back all the way to the ends of the bunk boards, if the are of sufficient size. On mine, the tires may be a little close to their capacity for my liking (I always like to get a heavier duty tire than needed) but they are doing good thus far. No concerns with how mine pulls down the road either.
If your tires are close to capacity odds are good so are your axels. Manufacturer’s usually pair the tires to match the load carrying capacity of the axels.
Agree, the axles on my trailer are sufficient for my boat with it loaded how we travel. The tires are "sufficient" as well, but I always replace with an increased capacity tire after 2 years on the factory china bomb tires. I've been burned before, and it won't happen again.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.