rough ride

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Re: rough ride

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:56 pm Seems like perhaps there's an opportunity to refresh the A series as a deep-vee luxury boat and keep the R series as a shallower-vee watersports boat?
What I would love to see is the A29 scrapped and restyled exactly like the A28, but with A29 beam such that it can fit twins. Basically the Cobalt version of a Formula 290BR.
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:56 pm Seems like perhaps there's an opportunity to refresh the A series as a deep-vee luxury boat and keep the R series as a shallower-vee watersports boat?
That is a really great idea.
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:33 pm
What I would love to see is the A29 scrapped and restyled exactly like the A28, but with A29 beam such that it can fit twins. Basically the Cobalt version of a Formula 290BR.
That’s the best idea I’ve read in a long time! After they scrap the A29 they should scrap the new R’s and just as well scrap the new restyled CS’s. None of them look Iike a Cobalt anymore. They should just change the name to Malibu… :(
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

mdadgar wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:10 pm
stifflkd wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:42 am I agree with some of the earlier posts. Cobalt is focusing on a lake environment and surfing in particular. Too bad, missing a huge market on the coast.
Do you think so?

It seems to me that it's the very opposite: Cobalt is going hard after the coastal market, which explains all the outboard models they've added to the lineup.

I understand the maintenance advantages of OBs for salt water use, but they are kind of a PITA for freshwater use because they are right in the way of all the stuff we want to do on the lake. 🤷‍♂️

- Mark
I think Cobalt is going after both markets (offshore - OB) and inland lakes (surfing - FWD). And, even though they are owned by Malibu (which has a surf boat), people can be very brand loyal so no doubt they want to keep Cobalt fans happy with a surf model.

The hull has no doubt been adjusted to produce a better wave, but I was told that the dead rise change from 21 to 18 degrees doesn't tell the whole story as the dead rise has also changed further forward on the hull. Plus, this boat is something like 1,200 lbs heavier than the boat it replaces, so it should be more settled on the water.

I wonder if anyone here has moved from an R7 (sterndrive) to an R8 sterndrive and can comment on the ride differences.

As to having to cruise at 30 mph, I agree that isn't optimal. But, I note that with my R3, it is difficult to get the boat to plane at very low speeds (under 20) and it is even worse with a full tank of gas. I never fill my tank above 1/2 unless I know I'll need more than a 1/4 tank for the day's activity (we are never more than 5 minutes from the marina). If I had to do it over again, I think I'd have ordered my R3 with trim tabs to help with planing at lower speeds.

Reading above, the OP says the trim tabs should be trimmed down to help but that means no one can ride in the bow. I don't get that. Trimming down will lift the stern and lower the bow. Adding people to the bow will help in that regard. Am I missing something?

I'v been considering moving to an R6 but this thread has given me pause without doing a water test before making a decision.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe