Trailer almost done ....

DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Trailer almost done ....

Post by DEcosse »

I bought a used Float-On Aluminum Trailer in the Fall - finally almost done re-fitting it to use with my 232.
I use it primarily in Salt Water, so the OEM steel trailer is just not going to hold up.
Float-on is probably at the lower end of the market I suspect, but it will satisfy my requirements

I made a template of the boat, using a combination of the Dimension Chart from Cobalt, measurements of the boat, and the original Dorsey/Cobalt trailer.
Test fit on the old trailer of course and confirmed my template is good.

One thing I wanted to change from the original layout, was to move the outer bunks about an inch further outboard - the chines spacings were really tight on the original trailer and often it would actually sit up on one of them when loading boat back on. When it sat properly, there was only about 1/2" space between chine step and bunk there - a little extra is not going to go wrong at all.

The rear outer bunks were not there at all on the Aluminum Trailer, so I had to start with new brackets.
I used 2" square adjustable brackets from https://www.trailer.parts/Ultimate-Alum ... _6365.html;
With the I-Beam, the 2" tube would only have had contact at the top and bottom rail sides; so I opted to get an extra set of the Hat Brackets; The first Hats sit just inboard of the edges of the I-beam. I through-bolted these (These are all indivudal bolts, not U-Bolts) from the vertical member of the I-beam, then clamped the primary Hat and Tube to the same through bolts with second set of locknuts. This gives a much greater clamping surface.
(In the image below it looks as if the 2" Tube is touching the side-rails - there is actually about 1/8" gap and the Tube clamps only against the 'inner' Hat)

20230626_153015_resized.jpg

Next, I had to move the winch up considerably from it's starting position (both vertically and forward on the trailer) - but it was already a really long trailer. I had to devise a new mounting for it and it won't be adjustable, so hope my measurements are all good and I don't have to drill more holes :mrgreen:
Even now, there is still a longer tongue from the winch to the ball hitch compared to the original.

And then all new bunks from https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/stor ... ack-detail The Forward pair are 8' x 6" Supreme (with the extruded aluminum member), the Outer Rear anre 6' x 4" Supreme and the Inner Rear are 9' x 6" Original (no Extrusion). I didn't need Supremes for the inner rear as those already run on a vertical aluminum member with a full-length aluminum swivel mounting plate

I replaced a lot of the hardware - upgrading many of the 3/8" bolts and U-Bolts to 1/2" - all Stainless of course.

What is left to do?
Test Fit the boat!!
I am fairly confident it's going to be very close the first time - if anything needs adjustment it is likely to be the forward bunks - my template does account for a location where all three sets are in play, and that looks good - the very forward brackets might need a slight tweak as I have no other plane to reference, other than setting to the same height off cross-member as the rear brackets for the forward bunks are on theirs.

I do need to get a tongue-weight scale - I never measured the old trailer, so I'm going on assumption (reasonable, I think) that the original, per Factory would have been good.
The preliminaries in that regard was to first compare the axles position between the two trailers and these were VERY close - actually about 3" difference from center of rear axle to the end of the inner rear bunks. But the Boat did actually overhang there about 4" and I so have accommodated for that in the length and position of the Winch roller center. So I believe I have it set up the same, but want to measure to know what I have and be safe.

Once I'm satisfied with the bunk alignment, I'm considering to drill through the inner hats and tubes of the outer bunk bracketsand installing a bolt to clamp it all in it's final position to ensure it cannot ever slip (perhaps overkill, it should not really be required)

Almost forgot - I need a roller for the rear. The old trailer actually has one on the front too, just in front of the froward bunks and there is definitely load on it - however I don't think it is necessary. I was almost thinking I didn't need a roller for the rear either but obviously I need one to initially center it.
Considering this - https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-P ... R84FR.html - will need to see if there is enough room to fit it (will have to get the overall length of each roller to see if it will go between the inner rear bunks)

And then some aesthetic mods
- definitely some nice Aluminum wheels and will have to give it a good going over to clean all the surface corrosion of the aluminum.
- And I'm going to ease all the edges of the bunks with my router - it's probably not an issue, but I would prefer to have the leading edges of the sqaure-cut-off ends at minimum and just doing it all the way round while I have the router out. 1/*" roundover should be about right I think.
Possibly some Stainless Rotors.
20230626_152735_resized.jpg
20230626_152936_resized.jpg
20230626_155058_resized.jpg
20230626_155108_resized.jpg
20230626_155233_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by DEcosse on Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trailer almost done ....

Post by bruceb58 »

How close to the main stringers of the boat do you think you have the bunks? To me, that would determine best placement.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

@bruceb58 -I'm not sure what you mean - determining best placement of what ???? And what are you calling the 'stringers'? :?:

The bunks are virtually identical location to the original trailer location except for the outer rear which are about an inch further outboard and that is a benfit.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

The one oddity with the original trailer is the location of the rear keel roller - this was welded on so there was no adjustability but sits way too low, it's not even close!
That surely isn't right .....

The forward one actually contacts the keel, as it should

keel_roller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

The rear keel roller is not to be used as a support. It’s a guide for the bow when loading and unloading. It protects your keel from contacting the metal trailer frame during this process.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

I understand that, but everything I read says it should be at least barely touching keel, while not carrying any load.
(Now the front one I would say, if anything, is a little tight!)
As I mentioned earlier, with the old trailer and the location of the outer bunks only spaced off the chines by about 1/2", it would be really hard to get the boat centered and inevitably would be up on one of the chines. So sure, it makes initial contact with the bow ..... (or does it? With the trailer deep enough in water to get the bunks in, I'm not even sure that the bow does touch it all!) ... but once up on the bunks for sure it no longer is doing anything to maintain it centered. i.e. it is no longer a 'guide' at all. There must be about 6" there.

Quick footnote about the Ultimate Bunk Boards - even before I have boat on it I can already tell the polyethylene is super slippy - my driveway, where I've been working on it, has quite the slope - I can't keep even the template on there, it wants to slide right off! :mrgreen:
Obviously I'll give a true review after I actually load/launch the boat.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

The stringers are the pieces interior to the Cobalt's hull that go logitudinally (front to back) and support the floor, the engine, etc. - think of them as front-to-back structural beams. Because they carry a lot of the boat's weight to the hull, the best place to support the hull is to locate the bunks right below or very near the stringers.
DEcosse wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:02 pm @bruceb58 -I'm not sure what you mean - determining best placement of what ???? And what are you calling the 'stringers'? :?:

The bunks are virtually identical location to the original trailer location except for the outer rear which are about an inch further outboard and that is a benfit.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

As Aslan7 said, that particular rear keel roller is only there to keep the boat from hitting the trailer crossbar. Many trailers, including a few that I have owned, that keel roller actually did touch the keel, but not on yours.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

OK, again, they are identically placed per the OEM (Dorsey) Trailer, so I believe that should be appropriate.

Thanks @bruceb58 - I think I'm going to go with an adjustable bracket and position it close to touching to help guide it to centre. Maybe even try one of these self-centering type rollers, which seem to get good reviews.

711CL87iQnS._AC_SX679_.jpg
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

DEcosse wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:54 am OK, again, they are identically placed per the OEM (Dorsey) Trailer, so I believe that should be appropriate.

Thanks @bruceb58 - I think I'm going to go with an adjustable bracket and position it close to touching to help guide it to centre. Maybe even try one of these self-centering type rollers, which seem to get good reviews.
Personally, since the trailer was originally designed that way, I probably wouldn't worry about it. The boat is supported well at the stern with 4 bunks.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

20230721_163612_resized.jpg
20230721_162339_resized.jpg
20230721_162422_resized.jpg
20230721_162440_resized.jpg
20230721_163412_resized.jpg
After loading the boat, my setup was almost perfect - well the back 4 bunks were perfect all along their length from back to front, and the forward bunks were perfect at the rear of them. These were all set up using my template and that proved to be spot on. The only adjustment I had to make was to the height of the front bunks forward bracket mounts (I couldn't really get a frame of reference for these using the template so just made intuitive guess/measurement on those) - those only needed a minor adjustment to bring them up flush to the bottom of the boat and I just used my trolley jack after loosening the U-Bolt nuts to push them up firm and re-tighten.

So the last factor would be the tongue weight - again, I set this up to be pretty much aligned to the OEM trailer in respect of the Bow Roller and Winch with respect to forward axle.
Just received my tongue scale today and promptly checked it out.
I'm right at 220Kg which is 485lbs.
My boat is 4600 plus about 300lbs for gas and 724 for the trailer itself - total 5624.
That puts my trailer tongue weight at ~8.6%
Now depending on which online reference you use, that might be just about perfect - or it could be light or it could be heavy!! :mrgreen:
I've seen everything from 5-7% to 10-15% quoted as 'the guide'
BoatUS - https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/ex ... r%20weight - says 7-10%
From https://www.boatblurb.com/post/the-help ... -your-boat
... so that approximately eight and fifteen percent of that total towed weight is concentrated on the ball coupler. This is called the tongue weight.
Eight percent tongue weight applies to heavier towed weights of four to six thousand pounds. Fifteen percent tongue weight applies to lighter towed weights of one to two thousand pounds
I've also seen references that for Tandem Axle trailers it can/should be at the lower end of the range
And then many other publications say 10-15.

I'm inclined to leave it where it is - Opinions?
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

A quick review of the Ultimate Bunks:

I LOVE them already!

Our Private Community Boat Ramp does not have much of a slope, so consequently it is fairly shallow on the ramp itself; There is no dock, just a ramp and adjacent beach. But I put the boat in Solo yesterday and was delighted at how easily the boat came off. With the old trailer and carpeted bunks, I would have to jam the brakes a few times to get the boat moving; no such trouble with the UB's. Put a line looped around the winch post to stop it getting away from me, just backed it up, watched it float free and then got out and took the line and pulled the boat over to the beach and ancored it with a beach spike while I went to put the trailer away. It's the easiest I have ever launched the boat even though my first solo effort.
But the main element of this is the bunks, which I am confident added a whole new dimension to process.
Definitely a two-thumbs-up from me.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi