Retired Service Manager for a large Cobalt Dealer

dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Re: Retired Service Manager for a large Cobalt Dealer

Post by dsthomas »

Modadunn wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:52 am A question. We just bought a CS22. A perfect little boat for our lake. In talking to the dealer and configuring the boat he recommended the V8 300hp dual prop. I have about 5 hours on this boat. It is a LOT of engine. But I know you never have to push a throttle although it can be a bit jumpy and with just me in the boat yesterday, my linen shirt took sail. First casualty of the season. But my problem is really that my swim platform is below the waterline. Like ALL the time. We are not on a lift so it’s really all the time. What’s the weight difference between the V6 and V8? He also gave us an anchor too big for the actual anchor storage compartment, saying the anchor that “comes with” wouldn’t hold it on a “day like today” which frankly we would never anchor. We rarely ever anchor except on the calmest of days in a bay. My point is only that we have this anchor in the ski storage thing. Could it be contributing to my submerged swim deck? Most of all, I want a good relationship with this dealer and the Marina. It’s a small community and they will also do our storage etc.
I was wondering about this the other day. They list the V6 dry weight at 905 lbs and the V8 at 954 lbs
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Modadunn wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:52 am A question. We just bought a CS22. A perfect little boat for our lake. In talking to the dealer and configuring the boat he recommended the V8 300hp dual prop. I have about 5 hours on this boat. It is a LOT of engine. But I know you never have to push a throttle although it can be a bit jumpy and with just me in the boat yesterday, my linen shirt took sail. First casualty of the season. But my problem is really that my swim platform is below the waterline. Like ALL the time. We are not on a lift so it’s really all the time. What’s the weight difference between the V6 and V8? He also gave us an anchor too big for the actual anchor storage compartment, saying the anchor that “comes with” wouldn’t hold it on a “day like today” which frankly we would never anchor. We rarely ever anchor except on the calmest of days in a bay. My point is only that we have this anchor in the ski storage thing. Could it be contributing to my submerged swim deck? Most of all, I want a good relationship with this dealer and the Marina. It’s a small community and they will also do our storage etc.
What a difference a dealer can make... ours advised against us getting a 300 in our CS23, we did anyway. It's only 1 foot longer than yours but our swim deck rides a few inches off water - we also have dual batteries.

I didn't know Cobalt came with anchors ?? For what you do I would just buy one that fits in the locker.
CS23
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

The difference between the two engines is 50 lbs... 50 lbs is not going to put your swim platform below the waterline, nor would an anchor. Sounds like something else might be going on, is there a ton of water in your bilge?
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Modadunn
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Modadunn »

Automatic Bilge seems to be working fine. and I even ran it the other day when caught on the lake in a five minute downpour. But I agree 50lbs shouldn’t be sinking the swim platform.

I think the recommendation came from having three adult kids with spouses and a couple grands thrown in and liking to ski and tube. I’ll take some pictures today. But I kinda feel like I need to know what the issue COULD be vs… asking the open ended why and hearing “it is what it is”
Izzybo69
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Izzybo69 »

I am going to try and go take a look at a few CS22’s because to be honest with you, I cannot recall how deep in the water those boats sit. Like I said, the majority of all the CS22’s we sold were the Merc V6 but it should not make that much of a difference.

I would like to see some photos of how your boat sits
Izzybo69
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Izzybo69 »

Here is a video of one of our salesman doing a virtual demo on a CS22. This boat has a Merc, V6, full tank of fuel, tower, and one person in the boat. The platform is sitting pretty much right at the water level.
Izzybo69
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Izzybo69 »

Izzybo69 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:56 pm As a retired service manager of a long time Cobalt dealer hopefully I can bring some of my knowledge to the page and help some people with their Cobalts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Izzybo69
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Izzybo69 »

Just wanted to let you guys know that I am cleaning out my shop and posting just about everything Cobalt related on this site for sale. If there is anything you guys are looking for specifically feel free to ask, you just might be surprised at some of the stuff I have lying around.

For example, I know I have some of the Rockford Fosgate hideaway “brains” for the Rockford Fosgate stereo systems that seem to always go out. I’ve got several JL audio amplifiers that were new takeouts. I have a couple Roswell amplifiers that were pull outs for upgrades as well. Couple of sets of wakeboard tower racks. I believe I have a couple of the RGB controllers, etc.

Anyway, like I said, feel free to ask, I may very well have it or have a line on where to get it.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Izzybo69 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:09 am So those are a few interesting, and delicate questions.

So I’m gonna ask a question of my own first. Is this site owned, managed (moderators), or affiliated with Cobalt/Malibu boats?

I can, and will be more than happy to help on this page with Boats, mechanical issues, as well as dealing with the manufacture and dealers. I just have to feel it out so I kind of know where my boundaries are.

I hope that makes sense, and you can understand.

Thanks
It’s unaffiliated, privately owned and run. We’re (mostly) all Cobalt fans, but recognize we can all benefit by understanding common problems, shortcomings, and solutions. Feel free to PM me if you want more info,

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Trent_Boater
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Trent_Boater »

Izzybo69 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:56 pm As a retired service manager of a long time Cobalt dealer hopefully I can bring some of my knowledge to the page and help some people with their Cobalts.
Perhaps you can answer the eternal question.....where should you tow a tube from on a Cobalt? And how? Everyone has a different opinion.
Jclark
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jclark »

Izzybo69 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:04 pm Just wanted to let you guys know that I am cleaning out my shop and posting just about everything Cobalt related on this site for sale. If there is anything you guys are looking for specifically feel free to ask, you just might be surprised at some of the stuff I have lying around.

For example, I know I have some of the Rockford Fosgate hideaway “brains” for the Rockford Fosgate stereo systems that seem to always go out. I’ve got several JL audio amplifiers that were new takeouts. I have a couple Roswell amplifiers that were pull outs for upgrades as well. Couple of sets of wakeboard tower racks. I believe I have a couple of the RGB controllers, etc.

Anyway, like I said, feel free to ask, I may very well have it or have a line on where to get it.

Izzybo69, I’m very interested in any JLaudio amps you may have. That said, I’m interested in pretty much anything “extra” you may have for 98’ 232.

I sort of have a reputation of always tinkering with my boat…. Sometimes I get into trouble like my most recent screw up. For silly reasons I wanted to swap the position of my dash speedo and tach (tach on the left, speedo on right side). The signal wire for the tach needed to be longer so I had to make a little jumper wire. Unfortunately the only color of wire I had was red. In the multiple days that separated the removal and reinstall i forgot the red wire was actually the gray signal wire. This mix up causes your boat not to start! So there I was at the dock removing my dash for the umpteenth time reversing everything and finding my mistake. Put stuff back the way it was and she fired right up…. I know, I’m lucky! Anyway, I often “F” around and find out stuff…. Found out a lot that day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Izzybo69
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Izzybo69 »

Jclarck,

Yep, hooking the tach wire up incorrectly. Will definitely make one not run. I can’t count how many times I’ve had a boat that would not run. It ended up being a bad tach. When I’m diagnosing a “no start” situation, if it does not have fire one of the first things I do is disconnect the tach wire.

As far as JL amplifiers go, I know I have a couple M200/2’s, a couple M400/4’s, a M600/6, and a M1000/1. All of them are new, some are brand new still in the box, and others are new takeouts from new boats getting upgrades.

I’ve got a lot of various new equipment including, Source Units, maintainers, underwater lights, various strut’s for hatches and seats, etc. I will get around to getting more of this stuff, dog out and get some pictures. In the meantime, if there’s anything in specific that you’re interested in, let me know.

Thanks
Izzybo69
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Izzybo69 »

Trent_boater

In response to your question, it varies from model to model. Most cobalt will have a tow point on the back of the boat above the swim platform. That tow point IS acceptable for towing “tubes” or other towable’s. I know it is NOT recommended to tow “tubes” from the tower if that’s what you’re asking.

If you have a specific model that you were inquiring about, I’ll gladly give you my opinion.

Thanks.
Jeffrey262
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jeffrey262 »

Welcome! Looking for some advice on 3 different boats. You mentioned you like the 296. I am looking at a 2015 296 w/twin Volvo 300 HP asking $150k. What kind of speed do you think I can get out of this boat? I’m also looking at a 2014 302 w/twin 380’s. The guy is asking $200k w/72hrs. Lastly, a R8 w/twin OB 300hp.

I’m coming from a F370ss. I’m looking for a boat for Chicago -Lake Michigan where the water can get rough in a matter of an hr. Being caught in a small boat is rough. In your opinion, which is a better boat -size wise. Is the R8, non surf model, considered more of a lake boat? I like the top end of the R8, 65+mph.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately, I’ll be taking this boat to Florida within the next year or twin, so I want to plan for Florida - ocean use! Thx Jeff
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

Jeffrey262 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:29 pm
Welcome! Looking for some advice on 3 different boats. You mentioned you like the 296. I am looking at a 2015 296 w/twin Volvo 300 HP asking $150k. What kind of speed do you think I can get out of this boat? I’m also looking at a 2014 302 w/twin 380’s. The guy is asking $200k w/72hrs. Lastly, a R8 w/twin OB 300hp.

I’m coming from a F370ss. I’m looking for a boat for Chicago -Lake Michigan where the water can get rough in a matter of an hr. Being caught in a small boat is rough. In your opinion, which is a better boat -size wise. Is the R8, non surf model, considered more of a lake boat? I like the top end of the R8, 65+mph.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Ultimately, I’ll be taking this boat to Florida within the next year or twin, so I want to plan for Florida - ocean use! Thx Jeff
I'll chime in here.... for a boat potentially headed to FL, I'd 100% opt for the twin OB's. Any I/O boat in FL will suffer on potential re-sale.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks