Jumper Studs/Through-bulkhead Battery Charger - ??

(190 through 360)
groberts4
Commander
Commander

Jumper Studs/Through-bulkhead Battery Charger - ??

Post by groberts4 »

Hey all -

Jump Studs
A while back I posted that the jumper studs on my 2006 262 were connected to the battery even when the power switch was off. I based this on having kept a trickle charger hooked to those studs with the switch off and never having a dead battery. Well, I was wrong. Somewhere on this forum is the chain for this conversation but I can't find it, plus I've got a new issue. Bottom line, I put a multi-tester on those jump studs and they're deader than a door nail when the power switch is off. Which brings me to my question:

Through-bulkhead Battery Charger
Has anyone mounted a battery charger (Noco, etc.) under the seat and then drilled through the aft bulkhead to connect it to the battery? I'm hesitate to drill into my boat without knowing if it'll work, and how to do it. Also, do I really need that $140 Noco Genius or can I just get the $30 one that trickles out 12V? Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
2006 262 w/ Volvo Penta 8.1L @ 375hp
Lake Conroe, Texas
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Jumper Studs/Through-bulkhead Battery Charger - ??

Post by AsLan7 »

groberts4 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:14 pm Hey all -

Jump Studs
A while back I posted that the jumper studs on my 2006 262 were connected to the battery even when the power switch was off. I based this on having kept a trickle charger hooked to those studs with the switch off and never having a dead battery. Well, I was wrong. Somewhere on this forum is the chain for this conversation but I can't find it, plus I've got a new issue. Bottom line, I put a multi-tester on those jump studs and they're deader than a door nail when the power switch is off. Which brings me to my question:

Through-bulkhead Battery Charger
Has anyone mounted a battery charger (Noco, etc.) under the seat and then drilled through the aft bulkhead to connect it to the battery? I'm hesitate to drill into my boat without knowing if it'll work, and how to do it. Also, do I really need that $140 Noco Genius or can I just get the $30 one that trickles out 12V? Any ideas or advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks!
I believe you are talking about this thread groberts4.

I was pretty sure you could not charge thru the studs but I'm glad you did a follow up to confirm.

Maybe update the thread above by clicking on it and post your findings there for the forum.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

I mounted my battery tender upside down attached to the engine hatch. the problem is I don't see the flashing lights unless I become a pretzel. I don't understand why you don't mount the tender directly to the accessory threaded terminal of the Marine battery. There is a argument in another powersport form that says these tenders still need to be on timers. You plug these tenders in with shore power correct?

The electrician who installed the Blue Sea ACR installed a male plug on engine hatch. It looks ugly, but the first thing I do when i reach the dock is get/find the extension cord and plug the boat in.
2004 220
groberts4
Commander
Commander

Post by groberts4 »

Thanks SAB220. I don't think I explained my situation very well. My battery is in the engine compartment, under the power operated engine hatch. Opening and closing the hatch every time I want to connect or disconnect the charger would not only be a pain in the butt, it would also drain the battery on both ends of the process. So I want to be able to connect to shore power with a socket under the seat, which is outside the engine compartment. Then I only have to lift up the seat cover to plug in. I'm thinking I can just drill through the aft bulkhead, from under the seat into the engine compartment, and mount the socket. However, I love my boat too much to do this without some expert guidance, or at least knowing that it's okay, won't hurt the boat, won't encounter other issues, etc.
Lake Conroe, Texas
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

groberts4 - I can't answer your question but usually a seat frame is not a structural member. Anyways I would seek the advice of a marine mechanic when the boat goes into the shop maybe at the same time you install the ACR. Good luck
2004 220
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/DCF1 ... 36A550785D

I got one of these (the GCP2 with twin extensions inside) - found this via another thread.
So you can mount that wherever you like where it has easy access into the engine compartment and your charger will live onboard. Then just plug in your AC extension cord diretcly into the socket.
Incidentally I checked with Noco support on leaving their Genius charger connected permanently and whether there would be any reverse drain when there was no input AC power connected, and was advised they were designed to ensure that was a non-issue.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington
groberts4
Commander
Commander

Post by groberts4 »

Thanks DEcosse, and sorry for the late response. That thru-hull port you sent the link on is exactly what I need, so thanks for that. I'm thinking I'll add one under both back seats - starboard for the battery charger and port for the engine heater. Now I just have to figure out if/where I can drill through the aft bulkhead where it's less than 2" thick. Shouldn't be an issue.
Lake Conroe, Texas
groberts4
Commander
Commander

Post by groberts4 »

DONE! It was a very simple job to install the thru-hull port. It turns out that the aft bulkhead (between rear seats and engine compartment) is only thick fiberglass for the lower half, and 3/4" fiberboard on the upper half. Drilled through in 3 seconds and installed the port. Now I can connect shore power to the trickle charger inside the engine compartment without having to open the engine hatch.
I also realized that I don't need a second port for the engine heater - I'll just route the cord around the engine (carefully) and connect to the same AC outlet just installed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lake Conroe, Texas
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I mounted mine in the swim step area right next to wear I mounted the remote trim switch
PXL_20210207_200321028.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
DFWdude
Commander
Commander

Post by DFWdude »

I mounted mine on the port side
IMG_9450.jpeg
2005 272 w/ 8.1 VP GXi