7.4 gi random issues

itllbefine
Ensign
Ensign

7.4 gi random issues

Post by itllbefine »

So I am at the Ozarks for vacation and thought I had everything done and in working order. Start the boat up and runs great, then starts to loose power and sputters, turn the boat off for 1-2 min start it and lay into throttle and good to go again??? It might run good for 10-15 miles or maybe a couple hundred yards. Any input would be great. Not really worried about being stranded, but annoying when we are trying to have a nice cruise and have to slow down, stop and reset
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: 7.4 gi random issues

Post by dustinm »

Change fuel filter? That would be my start. I would then dump out the old one in a container to see what comes out
CS23
itllbefine
Ensign
Ensign

Post by itllbefine »

Filter has maybe 1 hr on it
coolbreeze255
Ensign
Ensign

Post by coolbreeze255 »

Sounds like a fuel issue.

I believe your engine is fuel injected. If so, you might check the fuel pressure to make sure your fuel pump is keeping up with the engine's demand. Make sure it's within specs. If not, it's most likely your fuel pump. Also, you could try cleaning your injectors. But if your engine is running great, but then dies, then it's most likely your fuel pump.

Also, how old is the gas? If it's really old, even with fuel stabilizer, the old fuel might be getting kind of thick, jelly-like. In that case, your fuel lines might be clogging up like a clogged artery. In that case, you might have to drain your tank and flush the line. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Best of luck to you.