Garmin 7607 microSD Cards & Slots

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
jdag
Ensign
Ensign

Garmin 7607 microSD Cards & Slots

Post by jdag »

Hello! I have some questions that have been bugging me for a couple of weeks. I have a 2020 R3 with the dual Garmin 7607 glass cockpit units. I was able to successfully update the firmware on both units, but to be honest, was making a few guesses/assumptions along the way.

Since there are 2 separate units, I was not clear as to whether I'd need a microSD card for each unit, or if a single card would do the trick. For those wondering, 1 card is enough and both 7607 units do in fact get updated in the single update process. Figuring better safe than sorry, I didn't want to be mid-update and find I needed a card in each, I purchased 2 microSD cards.

This process brought up a couple of other questions: Each 7607 has 2 microSD card slots. What is the 2nd slot for? Is there any functionality gained by using a microSD in the other slot or other 7607 device? Currently, I have the card I used for the upgrade in the left slot of the left 7607. The 2nd slot in that device and the 2 slots in the right device are empty.

Thanks, John
Sam Adams
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Garmin 7607 microSD Cards & Slots

Post by Sam Adams »

I have a handheld Garmin. I purchased a Garmin map of the US Virgin Islands for a catamaran trip we took. The map was provided on a microSD card that I installed in the handheld Garmin. I was able to access the new map of the USVI on the handheld. Do you think that may be the purpose of the slot on the 7607 units?
1961 USS Long Beach CGN-9
2001 Cobalt 226
2012 Cobalt 220
2013 Cobalt 24 SD
2021 Regal 28 Express
2023 Cobalt R6
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

jdag wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:11 am Hello! I have some questions that have been bugging me for a couple of weeks. I have a 2020 R3 with the dual Garmin 7607 glass cockpit units. I was able to successfully update the firmware on both units, but to be honest, was making a few guesses/assumptions along the way.

Since there are 2 separate units, I was not clear as to whether I'd need a microSD card for each unit, or if a single card would do the trick. For those wondering, 1 card is enough and both 7607 units do in fact get updated in the single update process. Figuring better safe than sorry, I didn't want to be mid-update and find I needed a card in each, I purchased 2 microSD cards.

This process brought up a couple of other questions: Each 7607 has 2 microSD card slots. What is the 2nd slot for? Is there any functionality gained by using a microSD in the other slot or other 7607 device? Currently, I have the card I used for the upgrade in the left slot of the left 7607. The 2nd slot in that device and the 2 slots in the right device are empty.

Thanks, John
Out of curiosity, what version are you on after the update? I'm not sure if the dealer updated mine last time I was in or not...
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Yep, the second slot is for maps.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
jdag
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jdag »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:57 pm
jdag wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:11 am Hello! I have some questions that have been bugging me for a couple of weeks. I have a 2020 R3 with the dual Garmin 7607 glass cockpit units. I was able to successfully update the firmware on both units, but to be honest, was making a few guesses/assumptions along the way.

Thanks, John
Out of curiosity, what version are you on after the update? I'm not sure if the dealer updated mine last time I was in or not...
I am now on v20.40. If I am reading the following page correctly, that is the latest version for the 7607 units:
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=8743
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

I just use Garmin active Capitan for the updates. Have to connect to the boat WiFi to transfer the update.
There are a lot of other navigation to that these are capable of that probably also can go on the SD cards, active tracks, waypoints, routes etc. Oftentimes these tend to be more for marine use than lake use IMO
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Updates: Every time I update my printer; I have to re-figure out how to use it.
Every time I update my phone, there's something there that I didn't want or like.
Every time I update my computer, something changes, even if it's nothing but making it slower.

I'm afraid to update my Gamins while their working.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
jdag
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jdag »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:36 am Updates: Every time I update my printer; I have to re-figure out how to use it.
Every time I update my phone, there's something there that I didn't want or like.
Every time I update my computer, something changes, even if it's nothing but making it slower.

I'm afraid to update my Gamins while their working.
I was too...but the update was "non-destructive" as far as I could tell.
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

When I first got my Garmin's they were slow, did a firmware update and the speed up dramatically, especially on startup. Ever since I have kept up with them, rarely noticing any changes at all. Although now all the marina's at Norris lake are now on the Garmin's, not that I didn't know their names but interesting to see the update.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
cvx16
Ensign
Ensign

Post by cvx16 »

jdag wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:12 pm I am now on v20.40. If I am reading the following page correctly, that is the latest version for the 7607 units:
https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=8743
I've been in contact with Garmin lately about my 7607's and getting the media player app working for my NMEA 2k connected RF hideaway unit (still not working yet).

Anyway, I have v20.4 installed as well and Garmin support mentioned that this model is no longer being supported, so v20.4 seems to be the final version for this model.
2019 Cobalt 25SC w/ 300hp Yamaha
jdag
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jdag »

Thanks, for the update cvx16. Too bad for lack of future support on the 7607, but that's how tech goes. I guess it is time for a new boat!