R7 battery jumping point?

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
jb cruzan
Ensign
Ensign

R7 battery jumping point?

Post by jb cruzan »

Picked up a new to me R7. I see the batteries are buried in the engine compartment. Is there a jumping point anywhere on the boat or is a Houdini maneuver required?
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Re: R7 battery jumping point?

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Under the seat where the battery switch is, there are jumper connections right there, at least on my 2019.

And yes the batteries are buried, especially if you have ballast tanks in there too.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

I keep hearing about buried batteries on some of the R series, but I’ve never been on one. Pictures would be great to see how bad the situation is.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
jb cruzan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jb cruzan »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:02 pm Under the seat where the battery switch is, there are jumper connections right there, at least on my 2019.

And yes the batteries are buried, especially if you have ballast tanks in there too.
Really. Any chance you could post a pic? I had a pretty good look on my 2018 - no luck.
jb cruzan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by jb cruzan »

Titaniumboy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:41 pm I keep hearing about buried batteries on some of the R series, but I’ve never been on one. Pictures would be great to see how bad the situation is.
I won't be back to the boat for a couple of weeks but imagine they were 3' beyond the foot well of your car!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:02 pm Under the seat where the battery switch is, there are jumper connections right there, at least on my 2019.

My wife usually turns the battery switch on and off at the end of the day. I didn't know about the jumper connections, so I'll look this weekend.
Our batteries are highly visible, but far enough back that it would be hard for a tall, old, stiff man to change them out.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Here is the battery location, 2 batteries under there...

Battery Location.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Here are the jumpers, and what they look like....

Jumper1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:04 pm Here is the battery location, 2 batteries under there...
“Under there” where? None of that looks like fun.

And I thought I had bad access to batteries in my 240 through the “wakeboard storage” door. I’ve always hated how the hatch bracket likes to dig a divot in my chest while changing batteries.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Titaniumboy wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:59 pm
Lifelongbtr wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:04 pm Here is the battery location, 2 batteries under there...
“Under there” where? None of that looks like fun.

And I thought I had bad access to batteries in my 240 through the “wakeboard storage” door. I’ve always hated how the hatch bracket likes to dig a divot in my chest while changing batteries.
Exactly, I know not the best picture but the batteries are in the shadows for sure. I think without the ballast tank there you could probably slide them out fairly easy, it’s not something I’m looking forward to.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Your setup would totally put the kibosh on my practice of swapping out batteries at least twice a year. That looks about as fun as changing out 16 spark plugs on my Dodge Ram.

I have two pair of marine deep cycle batteries that I cycle in and out of the boat. One pair is from 2017 and the other pair is from 2014. While one pair of batteries is in the boat, the other pair are sipping mai tai’s on the beach and getting rejuvenated.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA