2020 R5 Surf

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Javier-E
Ensign
Ensign

2020 R5 Surf

Post by Javier-E »

A few weeks ago, my trim sender/sensor started acting up. Nothing crazy. My dash is completely digital so the trim gauge is obviously digital. While surfing the trim gauge would fluctuate to over 100%. Now it's to a point it just bounces back and forth but mainly stays 80%-150%.
I've already contacted the boat dealer where I bought it, brand new by the way. The part is on back order.
At this point the boat won't even start because it thinks the trim is all the way up.
It's a 3 wire trim sender.
I've unplugged the trim sender and the gauge will lock at 10% but the boat still won't start.
There must be a way to trick the sensor so it thinks it's still plugged in and the trim is down?

PLEASE HELP! I feel like I'm going to be done for the year unless I can find a solution. I don't think the dealership is going to get the part in and replaced in time to enjoy the rest of the summer.

Thanks in advance!!
Javier-E
Ensign
Ensign

Re: 2020 R5 Surf

Post by Javier-E »

Also...
It's a Volvo 350, Penta out drive.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

I’ll bet that the trim sender isn’t “digital”, but rather just a simple potentiometer. The trick will be prying the correct resistor values out of Volvo Penta.

I bet the dealer could measure the trim sender resistance values from a similar outdrive they have in stock?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Javier-E
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Javier-E »

Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me. I've not been impressed with the dealership at all. Once the part comes in they'll charge me $250 to haul the boat out of the slip and another $80 for a service call. That's with the components still under warranty. Unfortunately, I don't have a trailer so I don't have the option to take the boat to the dealership.
They have no incentive to just 'help'.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us J-E…

Sorry to hear about your Cobalt woes.
Unfortunately without being able to take the boat out of the water your options are limited. Like Tb mentioned, I would look at the potentiometers on the outdrive rams and see if they loosened up. Usually those are adjustable. That being said, the surf model may have a different system. Do you have any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Javier-E
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Javier-E »

Appreciate the reply...
I came out to the boat this morning to take a closer look at everything. Definitely found the problem, one of the 3 wires on the sender has completed broken. Right where it comes out of the sender unit. Inspecting the other wires, one of them is starting to crack and has exposed wires.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

I had this same issue and I ended up needing to replace because I needed to trim the drive up. I never tried unplugging it, when it would bounce around it wouldn’t start, and I’m not 100% on this but I think the trick is to hold the key in the start position and it will start. At least I remember doing that and it working when it would not start due to trim being up. Worth a shot.

I would also call around VP dealers, possible they have an extra because they come in 2 packs, at least they did when I got mine.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Can Not Start, Trim Too High
Symptom: Engine will not start. Error message in display.
Trim Too High.
EVC Action: None.
Operator Action:
• see Crank Override Mode

Crank Override Mode
To start the engine when this fault is present;

Key
Return the key to the off position. Hold the ignition key in the start position for more than 5 seconds. Engine will start.
Use procedure at main station.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Javier-E wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:16 am Appreciate the reply...
I came out to the boat this morning to take a closer look at everything. Definitely found the problem, one of the 3 wires on the sender has completed broken. Right where it comes out of the sender unit. Inspecting the other wires, one of them is starting to crack and has exposed wires.
Glad to hear you found the issue J-E.
Maybe splice with new or tape up the remaining wires depending on condition and you should be good to go.
Thanks for the update.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Javier-E
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Javier-E »

Lifelongbtr - that is interesting! I've been wondering what would happen if this happened on the water. Definitely going to try this tomorrow.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

Javier-E wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:39 pm Lifelongbtr - that is interesting! I've been wondering what would happen if this happened on the water. Definitely going to try this tomorrow.
Yes I had the same thought (especially since I needed it a few times), I think the idea is, you try to start, it doesn’t, you get the warning, you make a decision it’s ok, and to bypass you turn the key back to off, then turn to start and hold 5 seconds.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Javier-E wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:12 pm Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me. I've not been impressed with the dealership at all. Once the part comes in they'll charge me $250 to haul the boat out of the slip and another $80 for a service call. That's with the components still under warranty. Unfortunately, I don't have a trailer so I don't have the option to take the boat to the dealership.
They have no incentive to just 'help'.
Damn, who's your dealer. I would think they would go out of their way to someone who just purchased a new Cobalt.

There's a song by a group called The Beths. The song is about "Expert in a Dying Field". I always think of customer service when I hear it.
Another song, "Robots Need Love Too", has a line, " I spent half my life in the customer service line.

Such is life now.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Javier-E
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Javier-E »

Last post...
I bought a knock off trim sender on Amazon, got it yesterday.
To avoid trying to snake the wire through the hull, I simply spliced in the new one with some waterproof connectors. Worked like a charm!

Also, to verify, the bypass method works! I had to put my ignition switch on first, let the screens come on, then turn it to start for 5 seconds. Started right up!
Jcm256
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jcm256 »

Glad you got yours fixed. I’m having the EXACT same issue on mine. Where is the trim sender? Are the wires in the engine bay or outside by the out drive? Can’t get the trim to go up but it makes noise when I send it down
Jcm256
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Jcm256 »

Sratch that. Found the issue. Broken wire on the 3 wire trim sender. Looks like it’s a pain as I’m gonna have to snake it back through if I get the new part
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.